Once A Pioneer Of The Free Speech Movement, UC Berkeley Is Now Giving In To Violent Rioters.

cda2a18eadcff66cc9ee6590473c27d7_advertisements-jj-walker-memes_350-404.jpeg

I do have a few friends who share conservative stuff, and it's just as ridiculous. I'll give an example. I have a friend who shared a meme of Obama giving a speech in front of children following Sandy Hook. The Meme had a Caption, a quote from Hitler (Obama is literally Hitler), and the quote basically said, "If you want to trick people into doing what you want, manipulate them by using children as pawns." The quote was attributed to Mein Kampf.

Of course, I immediately recognized that as a fake quote, since Hitler wrote that book before gaining power, and he definitely was not going to gain favor by telling everybody how he was going to trick them and mainipulate them. So I googled it, and sure enough, the quote was actually from a joke-piece written by a Rabbi. Lol. But that meme had been shared THOUSANDS of times by conservatives, all of them apparently too dumb to realize it was completely fake. Why were they so easily fooled? Because they hate Obama, and he's literally Hitler.

Haha I used to be a textbook libertarian and posted on Ron Paul forums, etc. I eventually realized that almost every single quote they attribute to Thomas Jefferson and famous philosophers are all fake. People that get ideological about politics end up treating it like a religion and it becomes nonsense.

I don't know if it's really fair to blame the university for canceling. They have to protect their property, and having monthly riots over whacko visitors is not exactly doing a lot of good for their public image. You can be pro-free speech and also not want to keep allowing altercations that destroy your campus. They are in a bad spot.

If you want to blame someone here, I think you have to go straight to the rioters. If you hate a speaker, show up for a debate or stay home. What rioters (not protesters) have been doing lately is terrible for everyone and fornout country as a whole.

The problem is, they have proof now that their rioting gets the desired result in people with opposing viewpoints not allowed onto "their" campus

The terrorists won this round, so why would they stop?

What a crock of shit this is. You now have protesters who are prone to violence and you cancel a speech? If a certain group of people threatens to be violent because of ideology that doesn't blend with theirs...put them in their place. Everyone is entitled to free speech, anyone has a problem...let the police do their job.
165236.gif
165229.gif
tumblr_nlvsdlDUKW1tsf68ao1_500.gif

What a crock of shit this is. You now have protesters who are prone to violence and you cancel a speech? If a certain group of people threatens to be violent because of ideology that doesn't blend with theirs...put them in their place. Everyone is entitled to free speech, anyone has a problem...let the police do their job.
165236.gif
165229.gif

So who booked Ann and Milo's speaking engagements? Were they just going to show up, hoping Berkelely would allow them to speak?
The College Republican group at Berkeley booked them, not the university themselves.

Liberals were for several decades at the forefront of protecting the freedom of speech, but the chilling, totalitarian instincts of politically correct culture have swung things around to the opposite pole. Shamefully, American college campuses have become among the worst places for free speech in our society. All the talk about diversity is a sham. You can be different any way you want so long as you never say or think anything we disagree with.

165236.gif
165229.gif
Berkeley police don't see it as their job to protect the civil rights of American citizens. They stood there and watched all the assaults that occurred during the Milo Riots and ultimately made one arrest. (Or maybe it's jsut one guy who charges were brought against.)

But if you want to protest, they are happy to carry out symbolic arrests to help your movement.

C9p8pdWVoAAeAyL.jpg

She is pure hate speech. There is no place for that anywhere. Glad she was shut down

Sounds like domestic terrorism.
Time to turn that war on terrorism on the people that are most damaging to your nation: the terrorists within it.

The College Republican group at Berkeley booked them, not the university themselves.

Liberals were for several decades at the forefront of protecting the freedom of speech, but the chilling, totalitarian instincts of politically correct culture have swung things around to the opposite pole. Shamefully, American college campuses have become among the worst places for free speech in our society. All the talk about diversity is a sham. You can be different any way you want so long as you never say or think anything we disagree with.

I think that is a little strong, it's not like Coulter and Milo are mainstream conservative intellectuals, they are provocateurs. The issue is that Berkeley is right next to Oakland, and is across the SF Bay from San Francisco, so you have a very large metropolitan population (this isn't Champagne Illinois or Iowa City) with a diverse group of people, a lot of very militant people, a lot of angry Chicanos, plus a lot of people who have nothing to lose, on both sides, who are just looking for someone to fight.

The school tried to accommodate her, by making the speech during the day, making it only open to students, and saying they would only announce the location very close to the time of the speech (Ann bitched about this, but gave in). The campus police though asked it to be shut down, as they don't want to escalate what is already looking progressively like gang wars. Fact is Coulter is using this as a publicity stunt, the UCPD shutting down her speech is her dream come true, it will make her a martyr and sell a lot of books for her.

I think that is a little strong, it's not like Coulter and Milo are mainstream conservative intellectuals, they are provocateurs.
Charles Murray had his talk shut down by mob violence just a month or so back. He's provocative but no provocateur. It's not too strong at all to say college campuses in the US have gone from among the freest to among the least free venues in terms of expression and speech.

Back