Free Speech - is this what you are defending?

White supremacy tells you to kill white people?
That other white person was a counter-protestor and an enemy in the eyes of her killer for siding with minorities. That sentiment is hardly rare on this site, white leftists are commonly portrayed as contemptible for being so called race traitors.

Ah, some racism gains you more victim points than others huh? So, where do American Indians rate on the victim scale? Early 18th century Italians or Irish? What about early 17th, 18th and 19th century Chinese? What Muslims today?

More importantly, does being the victim of racism then validate developing racists tendencies of ones own? Does it make racist rhetoric less offence when espoused by someones who has themselves been the victim of racism. What about violence, does being the recipient of racist violence validate enacting racist violence on others?
Yes, some forms of racism are more relevant and consequential than others. I doubt I'd see ths kind of both siderism from either you or @dontsnitch if we were talking about Coptic oppression in Egypt by the Sunni Muslim majority despite the fact that the bigotry goes both ways there as well.

Yes, some forms of racism are more relevant and consequential than others. I doubt I'd see ths kind of both siderism from either you or @dontsnitch if we were talking about Coptic oppression in Egypt by the Sunni Muslim majority despite the fact that the bigotry goes both ways there as well.
That is a fundamental difference between us then Kafir. I truly don't see a degree of evil. It either all is or it is not. As for the Coptic oppression in Egypt, Both the Christian and Muslim citizenry should be allowed to practice their faiths as they see fit and as allowable by the law of their land. If Egypt outlawed Christians, that would be unfortunate, but that is their country and their laws. They are not the United States, which guarantees our right of religious freedom as one of our foundational and supreme laws.

I am very much a live and let live person. I don't wish to infringe on your rights because I don't want you infringing on mine. I am not your keeper and you are not mine.

Going back to whether or not white people should "work harder to solve racism", I think that's ironically correct, but not in the way that the panelist meant, rather, they should stop adhering to white guilt, reject all identity politics, and adopt individualism again.

I'm not sure if the progressive undead army and their masters can be stopped.

That other white person was a counter-protestor and an enemy in the eyes of her killer for siding with minorities. That sentiment is hardly rare on this site, white leftists are commonly portrayed as contemptible for being so called race traitors.
or maybe he was just a schizophrenic kid who would have eventually killed someone regardless of "white supremacy." He did beat his disabled mother after all.

Funny how the left never wants to tackle mental illness when it doesn't suit their agenda.

That is a fundamental difference between us then Kafir. I truly don't see a degree of evil. It either all is or it is not.
Or in other words, you're willing to ignore the nuance and details to force a point.
As for the Coptic oppression in Egypt, Both the Christian and Muslim citizenry should be allowed to practice their faiths as they see fit and as allowable by the law of their land. If Egypt outlawed Christians, that would be unfortunate, but that is their country and their laws. They are not the United States, which guarantees our right of religious freedom as one of our foundational and supreme laws.
Do you think anti-Muslim bigotry in Egypt is as big a problem as anti-Coptic bigotry? Do you think that perhaps the bigotry by the majority might be more consequential
I am very much a live and let live person. I don't wish to infringe on your rights because I don't want you infringing on mine. I am not your keeper and you are not mine.
I am too but at the end of the day freedom of speech protects you from the government, not from private sector consequences.
or maybe he was just a schizophrenic kid who would have eventually killed someone regardless of "white supremacy." He did beat his disabled mother after all.
That's not mutually exclusive to him being a white supremacist which you'd guess he is given he was at the rally and ran over counter-protestors.
Funny how the left never wants to tackle mental illness when it doesn't suit their agenda.
Funny how the right only cares about mental illness when they can use it to deflect. And btw I've actually criticized the left for the way they use the mental illness issue as it relates to gun control so try again numb nuts.
The mental illness red herring again. Look, about 50% of the population will experience a mental illness of some sort in their lifetime, 25% if you exclude seniors. The vast majority of the mentally ill are nonviolent and yet we stigmatize them constantly in the wake of shootings like this while Muslims are defended with this same basic fact
I agree for the most part but I do think focusing on the mentally ill can help greatly reduce gun deaths. The thing is the mentally ill that are the cause of most gun deaths aren't schizos or bi-polar people but those who are depressed. I think the ratio of gun suicides to homicides is something like 2;1. Even the article in the OP mentions something that supports this

We take care of the true, off the wall, crazies just fine. A few slip through the cracks but that's to be expected in a country of over 300 million. Its the average person who's struggling through something like general anxiety or depression that we should be more concerned about. I remember reading somewhere that 60% of US adults experience depression at some point in their life. That's a problem we need to deal with a little better.
But referring to mental illness in the context of mass shootings, and doing so in a way that deflects from the conscious motivations of the shooters, does stigmatize the mentally ill even if its unintentional.

So you're just going to ignore my point about the relevance of history here?

There's nothing to address, it's a deflection. When one person is racist, it doesn't reflect anyone but him.

There's nothing to address, it's a deflection. When one person is racist, it doesn't reflect anyone but him.
Not its not a deflection, its very relevant whether you want to acknowledge it or not. If you don't just say so and we can leave it at that.

Or in other words, you're willing to ignore the nuance and details to force a point.

In many cases, I believe issues of nuance are nothing more than rationalizations for enacting an action or justifying a point that one wants to make. It becomes even easier when ones confirmation bias is upheld by like minded individuals. We add complexity as needed to further justify it and to have a better chance of having that action or point upheld by our peers by either doubling down on a specific ideology or progression of thought or expand it to cover as broad of a range varying levels of agreement and support.

Do you think anti-Muslim bigotry in Egypt is as big a problem as anti-Coptic bigotry? Do you think that perhaps the bigotry by the majority might be more consequential

First, I should say that in all honesty I don't really care about what is going on there. As far as being more consequential, yes of course. The more people invested in a particular action or believe the more likelihood of said action or believe being enforced. However, that doesn't change the underlying question of whether racism is wrong or justified in some manner. To my thinking, having been the victim of racism and to then turn around and engage in the same behavior is more reprehensible because you have direct knowledge of what that feels like, how it effects your interaction with the world around you and how it may curtail your ability to live and enjoy the same rights as others.

Someone growing up in a racist society, personally knowing nothing different, has at least a modicum of an excuse for their ignorance. Once shown and offered a viable alternative or having experienced the effects of racism, to willfully perpetrate it ones self or to continue to engage in the behavior is a willful choice that one has been shown is bad or has personal experience as being bad.

A quick question. Do you believe in preemptive violence? By that I mean taking violent action against a perceived potential threat before actually being attacked?

The reason I ask is because with the Antifa movement violent action appears to be taken in order to avert the spread and assumption of power by fascist ideologies. The justification for this is that we have seen the results of just such a spread and power grab. We use Nazi Germany as penultimate example. So, Antifa head off the possibility of any such resurgence by protesting and physical violence were necessary. This is the justification of "a little evil to avert a larger evil." but there is no guarantee of such a resurgence without the violence. Just the potential for fascist violence demands preemptive violence.

Using that same justification we can see the results of Antifa participation in counter-protests or protests and the ensuing violence and destruction that has occurred and infer it is likely to occur again. Given that, why shouldn't "The Right" see preemptive violence as a just course like Antifa? They should just assume Antifa is there to physically harm them and immediately attack them with whatever is easily at hand before they have a chance to prepare.

Building on that, if Antifa shows a predilection for violence and uses continually aggressive speech about physically attacking and or even killing this pocket of fascism, why wouldn't the "The Right" be justified in preemptively pulling firearms and aggressively engaging with them before allowing them the opportunity to physically harm them or potentially kill them if things spiraled out of control?

Yes, I know it's a large step down the rabbit hole but inexcusable actions escalate within any mob mentality, especially when it is not countered by sufficient pressure from saner peers or might in the form of law enforcement, national guard or outright military intervention. The danger of mob action is that is feeds on its own actions to embolden itself in the absence of a countervailing power. It also has the unfortunate tendency to pull bystanders into itself for growth that further empowers it. This continues and the destruction and violence climbs until it's forcibly stopped or eventually burns itself out, as sheer physical exhaustion sets in and the effects of adrenaline wear off. It's only in that relative "calm" as the mob comes down off its high that a real appreciation of what has occurred is seen and the repercussions, if any. are felt.

I am too but at the end of the day freedom of speech protects you from the government, not from private sector consequences.

I'll concede that point.

Not its not a deflection, its very relevant whether you want to acknowledge it or not. If you don't just say so and we can leave it at that.

"But slavery" is not an argument.

My argument- It's not okay to blame an entire race of people when one person who happens to belong to said groups does something wrong. People are individuals, and are only accountable for what they do.

Secondly, why would you blame other people just because they share the same race? Why not blame them when they share the same eye color? It's based on a racist misconception that all people of one race are the same.

Furthermore, which white people are we to condemn? Finns, Germans, Poles? Are they all the same that we should just blame them all? Which white people are we condemning?

The number of hoops you need to jump through just to stick to your narrative is ridiculous.

I didn't mention slavery, why are you being disingenuous? If you're not going to argue in good faith then let's just leave it at this.

Businesses absolutely have the right to refuse services depending on condition.
A bar can, for one example, refuse to serve a drunken customer.
A customer who's trying to be combative can be thrown out, etc.

Yes, under certain conditions. They however can't refuse service simply because a person is a certain color for example.

Yes, under certain conditions. They however can't refuse service simply because a person is a certain color for example.
Its really the other way around. Its under certain conditions(like on the basis or race, religion, nationality, gender etc) that business owners can't refuse service but in all other cases they can.

I don't think @Kafir-kun was referencing slavery. He was referring to racial segregation, which means that for hundreds of years a certain group was placed in a corner. This was officially supported by the will of the people, if you believe that America is a quasi-democracy, up until about 50 years ago. This means that the marginalized not only will still be lagging in efforts to be integrated, but also the indirect oppressors may still have lingering attitudes passed down from someone as close as their father/grandfather.

While I agree with you that blaming all white people is racist, I think you are being a little short-sighted in dismissing the lasting effects of institutionalized segregation, in that it seems that you are suggesting that it just disappears after a bunch of liberal progressives fought for civil rights as little as 50 years ago. You are forgetting that the people who opposed those god-awful SJWs are still alive today.

I don't think @Kafir-kun was referencing slavery. He was referring to racial segregation, which means that for hundreds of years a certain group was placed in a corner. This was officially supported by the will of the people, if you believe that America is a quasi-democracy, up until about 50 years ago. This means that the marginalized not only will still be lagging in efforts to be integrated, but also the indirect oppressors may still have lingering attitudes passed down from someone as close as their father/grandfather.

While I agree with you that blaming all white people is racist, I think you are being a little short-sighted in dismissing the lasting effects of institutionalized segregation, in that it seems that you are suggesting that it just disappears after a bunch of liberal progressives fought for civil rights as little as 50 years ago. You are forgetting that the people who opposed those god-awful SJWs are still alive today.

In terms of making an argument to justify racism against a group of people, slavery and segregation are the same thing. They don't address the claim, they just deflect.

We have a way of letting these arguments get emotional and away from the logical because it's a sensitive issue. Take your last paragraph. You've agreed that blaming white people is racist. Perfect. We agree. That's all I was saying. Now that we've established that, I will absolutely concede the lasting effects of past racism. It simply has no logical relevance in justifying other forms of racism.

Getting to the heart of the matter, what difference does it make if someone is white? Why would that make them guilty for the crimes of other white people that were here before them? The fundamental implication that sees this correlation as noteworthy is itself racist.

Last edited:
In terms of making an argument to justify racism against a group of people, slavery and segregation are the same thing. They don't address the claim, they just deflect.
Funny how history isn't relevant in the US but it is in Canada when it comes to Quebec. You have said in the past that Quebec has a unique relationship within Canada right? If you can understand that you should be able to understand that blacks have had a very unique history in America as well. Its not a deflection, its contextualizing the argument.

STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. -- A Ku Klux Klan group's request to burn a cross atop Stone Mountain in Georgia has been denied.

yes, because this is the only speech that is not free.

PS burning a cross is also not speech.

Funny how history isn't relevant in the US but it is in Canada when it comes to Quebec. You have said in the past that Quebec has a unique relationship within Canada right? If you can understand that you should be able to understand that blacks have had a very unique history in America as well. Its not a deflection, its contextualizing the argument.

I never said history is not relevant in the US. Why are you being disingenuous?

You made a silly assertion and tried to defend it by pointing to history, and in this specific context, history is not relevant. You simply cannot logically justify racism by pointing to past events. If you want to go back and refute the points I already made, I'll listen.

Because the extent of anti-black racism was far worse, specifically in that it was endorsed by the government at various levels. Italians and Irishmen faced racism from individual Americans mostly and never faced the kind of institutional racism blacks did at the hands of the US government.
Yeah I don't know why that stuff(about the irish or the italian having it as bad as blacks) gets repeated so often. The only other group that suffered a similar form of discrimination was the japanese during ww2 and the indians. But even the indians were more broadly accepted than blacks. The same with mexicans.

Back