Free Speech - is this what you are defending?

SaiWa

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kkk-cross-burning-application-denied-stone-mountain-georgia/

STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. -- A Ku Klux Klan group's request to burn a cross atop Stone Mountain in Georgia has been denied.

The Stone Mountain Memorial Association on Monday rejected the application from the Sacred Knights of the Ku Klux Klan to hold an Oct. 21 "lighting" ceremony. The application was submitted May 26.

The ceremony was proposed to commemorate a November 1915 cross burning on top of Stone Mountain that marked the KKK's revival. Crosses were burned there annually, decades ago.

A Stone Mountain Memorial Association statement says it condemns the beliefs and actions of the KKK and that its rules allow for the denial of a permit for an event that would disrupt park activities or "appears to represent a clear and present danger to public health or safety."

-------------

Free speech question. Somewhat.

Are you for or against allowing the KKK their rights to burn a big ass cross peacefully?

Burning a cross is not "speech" but ok I'll bite. I think that given the nature of the ceremony it can easily be classified as disturbing the piece.

David Duke said, "We're going to fulfill the promises made by Donald Trump."
I wonder what promises he thinks the corpulent white power President made...

They can burn all the crosses they want in their own property.

Burning a cross can sometimes be seen as intimidation, and thus not legal. I believe this is inconsistent and you should be able to burn any object you want if it's not any type of fire hazard and done in a place that allows open flames. American flag, the Bible, the Quran, a cross, this thread. Live and let live.

They have a right to IMO. I think that burning the flag is indefensible as well, but flag burners have a right to do so.

Burning a cross is not "speech" but ok I'll bite. I think that given the nature of the ceremony it can easily be classified as disturbing the piece.

That's why it's kind of related. The government isn't preventing specific organizations from rallying or assembling for a purpose. It's a city or a town (or a park) for myriad reasons (usually because your message is shit or the people who will be most likely joining you are shit thus resulting in problems)..

Burning a cross can sometimes be seen as intimidation, and thus not legal. I believe this is inconsistent and you should be able to burn any object you want if it's not any type of fire hazard and done in a place that allows open flames. American flag, the Bible, the Quran, a cross, this thread. Live and let live.
Cross burning has a history you would either have to be ignorant of or outright not care about to post this.

even though the burning of the cross in America symbolizes racial hatred against African Americans?

Cross burning has a history you would either have to be ignorant of or outright not care about to post this.

Christians and Muslims slaughtered each other and religious people were even burned at the stake. Are you okay with the intimidation that comes with burning a holy book? What if people are offended?

Americans bled for their country and they are offended when the American flag is burned. What if people are offended?

Race is a protected class. So is religion. My whole point is that it's not consistent. Ban them all or allow them all.

And you are consistently losing your mind more and more.

If the government defines it as hate speech, then sure, make it illegal.

I also find flag-burning treasonous and it literally is an activity tied consistently to leftists that hate America and who wish and even work toward, it's downfall. This is a very unsettling and terrifying act every time it happens to many. And it's done all the time.

But I denounce both activities and the KKK.

even though the burning of the cross in America symbolizes racial hatred against African Americans?

It is dispicable yes, but it is freedom of expression (unless it violates some kind of code or law having to do with open fires)

I am also an ardent supporter of Israel and greatly respect the Jewish people, however I think that Europe's holocaust denial laws violate freedom of expression as well.

Let everyone see the scum for who they are, IMO.

I don't support burning any cross. David nor Kriss.

cross2.jpg
Kris_Kross-1-300x300.jpg

it's like people don't get that a right cannot be negociated.
you can't have fine print for a right
it either works stretched to absurdity without breaking or it doesn't work at all
yes, let them burn the cross

Back