Frankie Edgar appreciation thread. It´s time for Edgar to shine again. 2 division champ!

It will be Max's toughest test on his run. Think max wins but wont bet on it.

I agree with most of what you said, but no way is Edgar going to jab harder than those kicks lol. I think you're under estimating the effect of having another man's leg slammed into yours. You also need to realize that he landed over 20 of those.

Fuck, no, I'm sure one of those kicks hurts all right, but I think that judges will note the reaction of a fighter if he winces or starts hobbling because of the kicks. I'm sort of bringing a different topic into the current one. What are the judges background or what is the criteria they use to score fights is something I'd be interested to know but we'll most likely never know.

I need to really watch the 2nd fight again as I only watched it once and my mental note of the fight was that Edgar looked flat and Aldo just picked him off for the most part. I was probably observing Aldo more than the fight itself, just to see how he looked coming off the loss.

Fuck, no, I'm sure one of those kicks hurts all right, but I think that judges will note the reaction of a fighter if he winces or starts hobbling because of the kicks. I'm sort of bringing a different topic into the current one. What are the judges background or what is the criteria they use to score fights is something I'd be interested to know but we'll most likely never know.

I need to really watch the 2nd fight again as I only watched it once and my mental note of the fight was that Edgar looked flat and Aldo just picked him off for the most part. I was probably observing Aldo more than the fight itself, just to see how he looked coming off the loss.

No. Your memory of the fight for the most part is right--aldo looked good and picked him off most of the fight. I just think rounds 1-3 were close rounds, so I can see why other posters have said that fight is closer than a lot of people seem to remember.

Aldo looked good, but people act like he destroyed Edgar in there.

He's already an all time great

so I can see why other posters have said that fight is closer than a lot of people seem to remember.

Aldo looked good, but people act like he destroyed Edgar in there.

Ah. I did read a couple of threads after the fight and a lot of Aldo fans were talking about him 'being back' I don't know what that means - he lost in the fight before that, shit happens, it's MMA. That was the hyperbole I was reading after the fight and shaking my head at.

I think folk probably seen Aldo being a bit more patient and not rushing in to have wild exchanges. I thought Edgar looked out of ideas as you said, but I in no way thought he destroyed Edgar, but more so 'handled' him if that makes sense.

Even in their 1st fight I thought Edgar started off slow and got going when Aldo started to tire.

Ah. I did read a couple of threads after the fight and a lot of Aldo fans were talking about him 'being back' I don't know what that means - he lost in the fight before that, shit happens, it's MMA. That was the hyperbole I was reading after the fight and shaking my head at.

I think folk probably seen Aldo being a bit more patient and not rushing in to have wild exchanges. I thought Edgar looked out of ideas as you said, but I in no way thought he destroyed Edgar, but more so 'handled' him if that makes sense.

Even in their 1st fight I thought Edgar started off slow and got going when Aldo started to tire.

In the first fight it was the opposite--edgar started to do better in the final three rounds, arguably winning them. I hate to beat a dead horse, but guess what adjustment he made in round three to start turning the momentum in his favor in that first fight?

Leg kicks.

So, once he started landing several leg kicks in the early rounds of the rematch, I was like, "yes!! More, more!", But then he just didn't throw enough and he pretty much stopped with them after round three.

Every round Edgar has won against Aldo was because of his leg kicks. Perhaps he felt like they weren't doing enough damage, though, or maybe he just got frustrated.

Max is also wide open for leg kicks, but Edgar is at an even bigger size disadvantage against max, so Edgar's got an uphill battle in front of him. But if the opening for leg kicks are there, he should take them. Even though Frankie isn't the hardest leg kicker, any man's movement will be hampered if he eats enough leg kicks.

He's one of those rare fighters who's still putting in strong performances at the lighter weight classes despite being up there in age. It's been pretty impressive to watch. I feel like he's got a better shot against Max than he did against Aldo, too.

One of my favourite fighters. I mean, the man is phenomenal.

The fact Edgar went on a huge winning streak at LW (the toughest most stacked division in the ufc), while being the much smaller guy is incredible. And all done in the good old fashioned way. There was no cutting in the line, no cherry picking fights, no "big draw" privileges.

"The answer" also won the belt by dethroning the LW goat. And then he went on and defended his belt 2 f***** times. One of those title defenses being one of the greatest LW title fights ever, a spectacular come back after almost being brutally KOed!
EdgarKOsMaynard.gif

After losing his LW belt in a controversial decision, he´s at FW now beating everyone except Aldo.
torngrotesqueindianelephant.gif
giphy.gif

Edgar is one victory away from making history and cementing his legacy as one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time.
22218277_1618476238174013_2057598258311191401_o-e1507151868914.jpg

I mean, how can you not appreciate this man?
frank_edgar_ufc112.jpg

War Edgar!
If someone deserves to be a 2 division champ, it is Frankie. Most underrated fighter p4p in MMA.

He is one of the toughest SOBs in MMA history.

I like Max and he's on a hell of a roll, but I have to pull for Edgar here. I want to see him finally win the big one again.

Riding the Fe War wagon now until forever. LET'S GO FRANKIE!!
frank+edgar+wallpaper.jpg

You agree that the 2nd fight was closer as well?

Aldo switched it up and stayed on the outside jabbing the head off Edgar for a lot of the fight. The only thing I can remember Edgar doing was shooting in for a takedown and Aldo getting back up.

I'd be interested to hear how you and the other chap thought the 2nd fight was 'closer'

Old post of mine from after the fight happened.

“That's debatable I see lots of people giving Edgar either the 1st or the 3rd. I gave him both and the 5th cause Aldo ran away and refused to engage, showing timidity.”

I was drunk when watching the fight, but I thought it was closer than most thought.

Frankie always get respect the dude was LW champ for god sake.. he's even too small for the FW division.

Back