Frankie Edgar appreciation thread. It´s time for Edgar to shine again. 2 division champ!

He won the first fight vs Aldo and the second fight was a lot closer than people claim.
Agreed. Aldo won 2nd fight by running away and landing pillow counters to steal rounds.
WAR FRANKIE

I do love max's attitude tho, so it's a win/win for me.

You’re gonna eat shit for posting this, but I agree with ya bro.

You agree that the 2nd fight was closer as well?

Aldo switched it up and stayed on the outside jabbing the head off Edgar for a lot of the fight. The only thing I can remember Edgar doing was shooting in for a takedown and Aldo getting back up.

I'd be interested to hear how you and the other chap thought the 2nd fight was 'closer'

He won the first fight vs Aldo and the second fight was a lot closer than people claim.

I love Edgar but you're delussionnal, he got his ass kicked both times and he admits it.
he's a great fighter nonetheless

No it wasn't, don't delude yourself, Aldo put on an amazing performance in that fight and it wasn't close.

great fighter, too bad he has stupid fans that deny his losses. ^^
I'll still be rooting for him against holloway

Agreed. Aldo won 2nd fight by running away and landing pillow counters to steal rounds.
WAR FRANKIE

I do love max's attitude tho, so it's a win/win for me.

First three rounds of Aldo vs. Edgar two could have gone either way. The last two rounds were the only clear rounds and they were for Aldo.

That fight was closer than people seem to remember--i blame Rogan.

Their first fight was arguably a draw.

You agree that the 2nd fight was closer as well?

Aldo switched it up and stayed on the outside jabbing the head off Edgar for a lot of the fight. The only thing I can remember Edgar doing was shooting in for a takedown and Aldo getting back up.

I'd be interested to hear how you and the other chap thought the 2nd fight was 'closer'

Aldo's jab wasn't as present in the rematch as it was in their first fight and neither were his leg kicks. Aldo fought safe, pivoted all night and countered with his right.

Edgar was pushing the pace and landing like 20 unanswered leg kicks in the first three rounds. The amount of strikes landed for both fighters were similar in those first three rounds, but Aldo landed on the head more where as Frankies offense was more diverse--to the head and to the legs. Aldo had the power edge, but Frankie was the aggressor.

Those first three rounds in the rematch were much closer than people think, which is enough for me to say that the fight as a whole was closer than people think.

Last edited:
Aldo's jab wasn't as present in the rematch as it was in their first fight.

Edgar was pushing the pace and landing like 20 unanswered leg kicks in the first three rounds. The amount of strikes landed for both fighters were similar in those first three rounds, but Aldo landed on the head more where as Frankies offense was more diverse. Aldo had the power edge, but Frankie was the aggressor.

Those first three rounds in the rematch were much closer than people think, which is enough for me to say that the fight as a while was closer than people think.

Mmmm. I didn't think it was the greatest fight ever or there was any pivotal moments where someone got rocked or close to being finished. I just remember Aldo staying on the outside and having a lot of success with his jab. I thought Aldo looked terrified of getting hit as a couple of times Edgar got in close and Aldo backed out of there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Edgar had a bad injury going into the fight - he didn't seem as sharp as normal and, imo, I think he would have expected Aldo to stand in the pocket and have a slug fest like Mendes II. I'd have to watch it back as you mentioned Edgar throwing leg kicks which I can't remember at all. Edgar did his usual come forward, bobbing and weaving, moving his head off the centre line style approach and I do remember thinking he was doing the same thing over and over again.

Anyway, must watch it back I still think Aldo picked him off from the outside for the majority of the fight. Edgar applauding as the scorecard was being announced and Henry being mad at himself for not switching things up were also telling for me, in that I don't recall any chat about the 2nd fight being closer than what it was from his team or fans. It was scored 49-46 x2 and 48-47. That's one example of judges looking for different things in fights, imo.

Mmmm. I didn't think it was the greatest fight ever or there was any pivotal moments where someone got rocked or close to being finished. I just remember Aldo staying on the outside and having a lot of success with his jab. I thought Aldo looked terrified of getting hit as a couple of times Edgar got in close and Aldo backed out of there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Edgar had a bad injury going into the fight - he didn't seem as sharp as normal and, imo, I think he would have expected Aldo to stand in the pocket and have a slug fest like Mendes II. I'd have to watch it back as you mentioned Edgar throwing leg kicks which I can't remember at all. Edgar did his usual come forward, bobbing and weaving, moving his head off the centre line style approach and I do remember thinking he was doing the same thing over and over again.

Anyway, must watch it back I still think Aldo picked him off from the outside for the majority of the fight. Edgar applauding as the scorecard was being announced and Henry being mad at himself for not switching things up were also telling for me, in that I don't recall any chat about the 2nd fight being closer than what it was from his team or fans. It was scored 49-46 x2 and 48-47. That's one example of judges looking for different things in fights, imo.

There have been a lot of rumors from people around Edgar that he was injured in that rematch, but I doubt we'll ever know. As an Edgar fan, what frustrated me most was the fact that he found success with leg kicks in both fights--using them when Aldo would try to pivot and counter-- but then he'd just stop throwing them after a few rounds and went head hunting.

Here's some of the leg kicks in talking about.

giphy.gif

Mark henry should have beat himself up after that fight, because the problem was the gameplan. For some reason they tried the same plan twice and expected different results.

Last edited:
There have been a lot of rumors from people around Edgar that he was injured in that rematch, but I doubt we'll ever know. As an Edgar fan, what frustrated me most was the fact that he found success with leg kicks in both fights--using them when Aldo would try to pivot and counter-- but then he'd just stop throwing them after a few rounds and went head hunting.

Here's some of the leg kicks in talking about.

I'm sure he's carrying an injury or a chronic one considering how hard they all train and the wear and tear eventually catches up on them. Aside from the obvious, there was no pull outs for 200, and it being the big card of the year, I'd think a lot of them would have to have a bad injury to pull out.

I think it's fair to say the fight wasn't the most memorable one. The fight reminded me a bit like the Dos Santos and Rothwell one, where Dos Santos is usually known for standing in the pocket, but fought smart and stayed on the outside frustrating Rothwell - I wouldn't be surprised if Edgar was the same. I'm sure after one round or at the end of the fight he threw his arms up as if he was frustrated?

One of the big things I took from that fight was Aldo's cardio seemed much better, but he wasn't winging his shots or getting too wild - even though there were a couple of scrappy moments in the fight.

Edgar is the Joe Pesci of the UFC, a hobbit that fucks up taller guys defying all odds.

I'm sure he's carrying an injury or a chronic one considering how hard they all train and the wear and tear eventually catches up on them. Aside from the obvious, there was no pull outs for 200, and it being the big card of the year, I'd think a lot of them would have to have a bad injury to pull out.

I think it's fair to say the fight wasn't the most memorable one. The fight reminded me a bit like the Dos Santos and Rothwell one, where Dos Santos is usually known for standing in the pocket, but fought smart and stayed on the outside frustrating Rothwell - I wouldn't be surprised if Edgar was the same. I'm sure after one round or at the end of the fight he threw his arms up as if he was frustrated?

One of the big things I took from that fight was Aldo's cardio seemed much better, but he wasn't winging his shots or getting too wild - even though there were a couple of scrappy moments in the fight.

That's because He completely controlled Edgar's aggression with the pivot, and Edgar's only answer for that pivot was the low kicks, which he was landing in rounds 1-3 (the closest rounds), and then just abandoned. Hence my overall frustration with Frankies performance in that fight.

He's solid as fuck but I gotta pull for Max here. He deserves this win.

How u assume he is done?! He has been in the ufc for 10 years and is still knocking off number one contenders and young prospects all while they are in their prime. Dude has had the best longevity the sport has ever seen.

Eh true, he has fallen short so many times in title matches but yeah he is still competitive. At 36 he has a little time but likely not a lot. Will see when he meets Max. I just dont think hes going to get it done.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

We will see Pete. I like the guy but just dont think he takes Max and will likely not get another shot. But I have been wrong before.

That's because He completely controlled Edgar's aggression with the pivot, and Edgar's only answer for that pivot was the low kicks, which he was landing in rounds 1-3 (the closest rounds), and then just abandoned. Hence my overall frustration with Frankies performance in that fight.

I only seen the one gif in that last post, but see the other ones now. Yeah, I could see your point about the leg kicks, but what are the judges looking at? I don't think all of them are using the same criteria. They're decent leg kicks Edgar is throwing there, though not a lot of power behind them by a professional MMA fighter's standards. I'd imagine some judges would see a jab/punch to the head being more effective than the leg kicks Edgar is throwing.

Mark henry should have beat himself up after that fight, because the problem was the gameplan. For some reason they tried the same plan twice and expected different results.

I see improvements with fighters he coaches, but I don't see any dynamic striking combinations or set ups that are hard to read. Edgar has being working with him the longest, IIRC, and it's never going to be an overnight transition bringing new tools into a fight, but Edgar's head movement and feints are effective but I feel like he's sort of plateaued on his skill set. I just felt that Aldo could read him well in that 2nd fight.

When he was brought in for Weidman's camp for the Romero fight, I thought Weidman looked good in that he was on his toes and moving more laterally, rather than just going forward Terminator style.

I'm not saying Henry's a bad coach, but he seems under qualified to be coaching anything outside of striking and I know Edgar, Alvarez, Barboza, Moraes, etc, have Almeida there for the grappling, but it seems like he coaches his fighters the basic fundamentals of boxing and it doesn't really develop much more after that.

I only seen the one gif in that last post, but see the other ones now. Yeah, I could see your point about the leg kicks, but what are the judges looking at? I don't think all of them are using the same criteria. They're decent leg kicks Edgar is throwing there, though not a lot of power behind them by a professional MMA fighter's standards. I'd imagine some judges would see a jab/punch to the head being more effective than the leg kicks Edgar is throwing.

I see improvements with fighters he coaches, but I don't see any dynamic striking combinations or set ups that are hard to read. Edgar has being working with him the longest, IIRC, and it's never going to be an overnight transition bringing new tools into a fight, but Edgar's head movement and feints are effective but I feel like he's sort of plateaued on his skill set. I just felt that Aldo could read him well in that 2nd fight.

When he was brought in for Weidman's camp for the Romero fight, I thought Weidman looked good in that he was on his toes and moving more laterally, rather than just going forward Terminator style.

I'm not saying Henry's a bad coach, but he seems under qualified to be coaching anything outside of striking and I know Edgar, Alvarez, Barboza, Moraes, etc, have Almeida there for the grappling, but it seems like he coaches his fighters the basic fundamentals of boxing and it doesn't really develop much more after that.

I agree with most of what you said, but no way is Edgar going to jab harder than those kicks lol. I think you're under estimating the effect of having another man's leg slammed into yours. You also need to realize that he landed over 20 of those.

I just don't see how anyone could not love Frankie.
Winning and defending the LW title at his size is a massively underrated achievement and those Gray Maynard fights are among my favourite of all time
Really hoping he can grab that second title, he's the type of fighter I want to see succeed but this is going to be really really tough, Max is one hell of a fighter on a hell of a roll.

Back