• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Frank Mir's Small Role

Liddells Gut

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it bizarre that former UFC champion and former TUF coach Frank Mir is playing such a small role in the show? He has only spoken a few words in the entire season and usually is just shown in the background of scenes.

Why do you think this is so? Have people grown tired of Frank Mir's personality, or is there some marketing reason for not drawing attention to him? I doubt that he's being quiet...

You forgot he already had the coaching job against Big Nog on TUF Season 8

Why would Frank Mir have a huge part in the show? It's about developing new prospects, not giving grizzled vets air time

Why would Frank Mir have a huge part in the show? It's about developing new prospects, not giving grizzled vets air time

if that was true, they wouldnt have fighters doing the coaching at all

Pretty sure the show is about Sonnen, Jones and the fighters. I admit though I kind of thought this too when I saw him on an earlier show. I don't think he wants the exposure right now lol.

The show is to showcase the fighters, and to hype the fight between Jones and Sonnen by having them as the focal point. Frank Mir is not the product they are pushing, and it is no different than any other season where there were other famous UFC guys as sideline coaches. They get a little bit of coverage, but they are not the product being pushed.

I agree, the show's editing frequently pans to him when he has nothing to say, which gives you that illusion. Every fight though its been Mir giving the fighters a majority of their mid-fight coaching. He definitely plays a larger roll than they are portraying him but he isn't the one they are trying to promote.

The UFC expects Mir to lose to Cormier anyway

I think he's being very backseat about his camera role on the show, because he's not the coach they're marketing. Frank has a big personality, and I'm pretty impressed they're not playing him up more.

The show is to showcase the fighters, and to hype the fight between Jones and Sonnen by having them as the focal point. Frank Mir is not the product they are pushing, and it is no different than any other season where there were other famous UFC guys as sideline coaches. They get a little bit of coverage, but they are not the product being pushed.

I agree, the show's editing frequently pans to him when he has nothing to say, which gives you that illusion. Every fight though its been Mir giving the fighters a majority of their mid-fight coaching. He definitely plays a larger roll than they are portraying him but he isn't the one they are trying to promote.

This

he lives in Vegas and he was personally asked by Dana to join the guys for the recording of this season. Most likely he helps some guys with their JJ... At least he's staying relevant, the fight against DC won't be easy though. For sure!!!

True, but this is a business. If you have a marketable figure on the payroll, don't you want to take advantage of that.

Rousey and Tyson are being brought in to boost ratings and they aren't part of the scheme to promote the current fighters or the coaches. I don't feel that either of those arguments are good.

From a business standpoint, you want to make the most money and draw the largest audience. Using a famous UFC fighter (i.e. Frank Mir) should be an effective tool to help do that.

I must have been taking too many heavy drugs during that season, because I remember Mir coaching as well.

No more LSD for me...

He was answering the other poster where he said you forgot that MIR was a former Coach , this dude answered that the OP didn't forgot .

ah pis ma yeule .

There was an interview with home posted in the main UFC forum a couple of weeks ago and he addressed this. Basically it was not his team, not his show(been there, done that) and he was there to support, not be the HMFIC.

True, but this is a business. If you have a marketable figure on the payroll, don't you want to take advantage of that.

Rousey and Tyson are being brought in to boost ratings and they aren't part of the scheme to promote the current fighters or the coaches. I don't feel that either of those arguments are good.

From a business standpoint, you want to make the most money and draw the largest audience. Using a famous UFC fighter (i.e. Frank Mir) should be an effective tool to help do that.

Tyson/Rousey>>>>>>>Frank Mir

Nobody's going to say "Frank Mir is going to be featured on TUF this week, better tune in!"

Back