Frank Mir: "Heavyweights are mentally weaker than other weight classes"

Its obviously just Mir making a dig at Brock Lesnar's lack of fortitude.

Please tell me how anyone in history is more mentally strong than Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera.
He's making a generalization. He's not saying every HW is mentally weak, just that there is tendency. It's not a black, and white.

Maybe "mental weaknesses" is a gross exaggeration. I think general big guy laziness, and relying on natural size attributes is what is mostly at play here.

Context?

I can see how smaller guys may seem mentally tougher. They're more likely to have wars, because they're less likely to KO each other as quick. When you're 265lbs, it only takes one punch for a KO. That's not really about mentally toughness though...not completely anyways.

lol at 45 minutes he was just running out of things to say and he talks so much that he probably just comes up with any nonsense. Weight does not defy mental toughness, not at all. Fedor was always one of the most mentally tough fighters in the sport, that was one of his best attributes. Nothing flustered him.

Also, sometimes what we describe as mental fortitude can be the result of pride, and personal disbelief in your predicament. Sometimes people's arms get broken because their pride has convinced them that this isn't happening, and then snap!

It's not always a conscious decision to let your arm get broken at any cost.

Context?

I can see how smaller guys may seem mentally tougher. They're more likely to have wars, because they're less likely to KO each other as quick. When you're 265lbs, it only takes one punch for a KO. That's not really about mentally toughness though...not completely anyways.

Yeah, but Fedor was an undersized HW who fought with the speed of a welterweight. He ad the power of a HW, but he wasn't your typical HW sized fighter.

Fedor didn't suffer the usual clumsiness that many HW's do.

This coming from the guy who had to break two heavyweight's arms to make them quit?

I never thought I'd hear Frank "Fetal Position" Mir question mental toughness.
awesome_Ian_Freeman_KOs_Frank_Mir.gif

Ever seen a fight decided prior to the opening bell more than Mir vs JDS?
tumblr_m4ol22LyJf1r81fefo1_400.gif

... You mean like when Frank out-grappled & then broke Big Nog's arm off, despite almost being beaten unconscious first?

Cool analysis bro

a316c8.gif

... You mean like when Frank out-grappled & then broke Big Nog's arm off, despite almost being beaten unconscious first?

Cool analysis bro

a316c8.gif

He was in the fetal position. If Herb Dean didn't wrongly admonish Nog to stop hitting the back of the head, which he wasn't doing, that was a TKO. He was the beneficiary of a poor ref warning and poor guillotine attempt by Nog, which he also did against Couture. Nothing really to Mir's credit.

If other weight classes had to take punches from guys that could be 80lbs bigger than them, they would quit too. Most of the best HWs have been in the 225-240lbs range, the cut off is 265lbs and guys cutting weight could be 285lbs on fight night. Just going into a fight with that kind of disadvantage is more than most guys in other weight classes would do. Connor was making a big deal about going to 170lbs from 145lbs and that just meant he didn't have to cut weight.

Intriguing observation when it comes from somebody who knows MMA, and heavyweights in particular, infinitely better than anyone posting on Sherdog.

After the punches Mir took from Shane Carwin, I would say that most Sherdoggers know heavyweights better than Mir does. He's lucky he remembers his name.

He was in the fetal position. If Herb Dean didn't wrongly admonish Nog to stop hitting the back of the head, which he wasn't doing, that was a TKO. He was the beneficiary of a poor ref warning and poor guillotine attempt by Nog, which he also did against Couture. Nothing really to Mir's credit.

Yeah and the sun was in Nog's eyes, and the wind took it, and he should have been able to call a do-over.

Bottom line is:

Punch-drunk Mir still outgrappled him, and then broke his arm off.

Not the actions of a quitter.

Did he give props to Tim "The Maniac" when he snapped his forearm like a twinkie and wanted to keep fighting?

True Toughness!

Yeah and the sun was in Nog's eyes, and the wind took it, and he should have been able to call a do-over.

Bottom line is:

Punch-drunk Mir still outgrappled him, and then broke his arm off.

Not the actions of a quitter.

He was in the FETAL POSITION. He had quit to strikes, but Herb Dean bailed him out.

heavyweights quit earlier because their strikes hurt more. You try taking bombs from a 260 lb monster.
Came to say this. It's easy to keep pushing when you're getting hit with pillows. One hit from a brick and it's hard to pull the trigger.

On MMA Junkie Radio this morning (somewhere around 38-42 minutes in) he gave props to Black Beast for being mentally strong in the way he doesn't panic when the run of the game isn't going his way, but calmly makes assessments and adjustments and finds his path to victory ...

... but also says Lewis is somewhat rare as a HW in that regard and that in general the other weight classes are mentally tougher than the big boys.

Intriguing observation when it comes from somebody who knows MMA, and heavyweights in particular, infinitely better than anyone posting on Sherdog.

Also brings to mind what Big John McCarthy, who also knows orders of magnitude more about MMA than any Sherdogger, said recently about smaller fighters being techinically superior, since they often must train against bigger bodies.
is that supposed to be impressive

He's making a generalization. He's not saying every HW is mentally weak, just that there is tendency. It's not a black, and white.

Maybe "mental weaknesses" is a gross exaggeration. I think general big guy laziness, and relying on natural size attributes is what is mostly at play here.

Ah, the old "small guys are more skilled/technical" theory.

I think there might be some truth to that in the way that most big guys don't get tough growing up because they are the big guy who never gets messed with. When they get in deep water they puss out, I've witnessed it many times. It depends on the person though really.

He was in the FETAL POSITION. He had quit to strikes, but Herb Dean bailed him out.

No, Mir was desperately holding onto a single leg shot, in a sad takedown attempt. And then Nog thought that he would rub it in extra, by making the blackbelt Mir tap for the first time in his MMA career, by countering with a submission.

And then the opposite happened.

Mental toughness has no size parameter, you either have it or you don't....maybe he was talking about his lack of it, he shouldn't assume shit about other people.

Back