Frank Mir: "Heavyweights are mentally weaker than other weight classes"

Rum

Champion of Champions
@Silver
Reaction score
On MMA Junkie Radio this morning (somewhere around 38-42 minutes in) he gave props to Black Beast for being mentally strong in the way he doesn't panic when the run of the game isn't going his way, but calmly makes assessments and adjustments and finds his path to victory ...

... but also says Lewis is somewhat rare as a HW in that regard and that in general the other weight classes are mentally tougher than the big boys.

Intriguing observation when it comes from somebody who knows MMA, and heavyweights in particular, infinitely better than anyone posting on Sherdog.

Also brings to mind what Big John McCarthy, who also knows orders of magnitude more about MMA than any Sherdogger, said recently about smaller fighters being techinically superior, since they often must train against bigger bodies.

"Sorry I'm late I just don't give a FOOK" - Mario Yamasaki.

Murr is wrong. Weight does not define mental toughness.

I never thought I'd hear Frank "Fetal Position" Mir question mental toughness.
awesome_Ian_Freeman_KOs_Frank_Mir.gif

Ever seen a fight decided prior to the opening bell more than Mir vs JDS?
tumblr_m4ol22LyJf1r81fefo1_400.gif

Frank Mir is an idiot if he really thinks thats true. Pussies come in all shapes and sizes.

I'm just glad Mir hasn't replaced Stann doing PBP yet.

Mir is exaggerating. He had to break Noguera's arm because Noguera wouldn't tap.

heavyweights quit earlier because their strikes hurt more. You try taking bombs from a 260 lb monster.

it would help if you fleshed out what he said, you don't even tell us his reasoning. now you just come across as a manlet apologist

Its obviously just Mir making a dig at Brock Lesnar's lack of fortitude.

Please tell me how anyone in history is more mentally strong than Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera.

Strawberry thieves are notoriously weak willed.

I don't think they're mentally weaker...

There's just a big difference with a a guy that weighs 125, 135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 205 hitting you compared to guy who has to cut weight to make 265.

Big guys tend to be lazier people in general. They have a lot of energy demands, and have less experience being the underdog in combat situations.

They tend to rely on their size in place of technique. Fedor benefited from being the smaller, faster HW that could hit as hard as HW's with much bigger frames than him.

The bigger they are, the more they suck seems to be the natural order of things.

Back