Francis Ngannou's striking technique

I'm still out to lunch on his boxing skill vs an actual boxer. Who knows if that actual boxer is gonna show up in Stipe.

giphy.gif

God help any man he fights. It's going to be a real david v goliath moment.

Last edited:
Ha. For me it's the exact opposite. I bet you a Cyber-Beer for a KO in the 3 first rounds from Ngannou, against a KO in the 3 first rounds from Stiplo
What kind of lame bet stakes is this?

If you lose, change your avatar to a boxer and edit your sig saying punching is better than kicking, and that @AndyMaBobs was right

I’m calling a Stipe KO. Ngannou overbalances with his jab and pulls back with his his rear hand, chin up. It looked like Overeem was trying to catch him coming in by slipping and countering the jab with an overhand. Ngannou adjusted and caught him with the uppercut while he was slipping.
I thing that while Overeem might be an equal or even slightly better overall striking than Stipe, Stipe has better boxing and movement that will help him exploit the openings.

Or Ngannou catches him and removes his head

He's far from slow for such a big guy. He just uses long range attacks so it might look like he's slower than he is. Also he's extremely athletic and explosive.

happy-face-meme.png

What kind of lame bet stakes is this?

If you lose, change your avatar to a boxer and edit your sig saying punching is better than kicking, and that @AndyMaBobs was right

Look man, some people are here just to talk about techniques, trade ideas, experiences, etc... We don't have to be douche-bags about it. You can go back to the UFC room, you will find plenty of your peers there, willing to bet AVs and SIGs...
Most of the time, we have some good, polite, interesting discussions here. We can have a "virtual" bet, just for the fun of it, without the need to try to humiliate each other.

But people like you, are the cancer of this forum... you, and Andy, and all those who gave you a like for this post...

But at least you are open about it, you don't try to hide your troll side... Others will try to act all serious, been "BIG TIME FIGHTING JOURNALIST ON A WEBSITE" for example. But both of you are traitors to MT, and that will never change...

PS:
AS IF, I'm gonna make a serious bet, basing on someones ability to punch... What the fack man, haven't you been paying attention all this time, or you forgot who you talking to?
Now, if it was about a kick KO, that would be interesting, to crush down, disgrace and shame anyone trying to front on me... I could bet a least 20 cyber beers...

I think this fight is going to come down to who screws up first. Stipe's best bet will be to use his Mark Hunt game plan, use lots of feints & different patterns and timing to keep Ngannou's finger off the trigger and prevent him from getting a good read. For Ngannou, patience & composure. If he misses a few shots early that's fine, just stay patient and keep working the reads, sooner or later he'll find something that works as long as he doesn't gas out or take too much damage.

On the good side, Stipe pulled out an improved version of his Mark Hunt game plan and used it well to get the win. On the not so good side, Ngannou made the rookie mistake of chasing the KO instead of setting it up and emptied his gas tank in the first round. Rather than pressuring Stipe into throwing hasty shots and then countering with his own punches, Ngannou loaded up and chased after him with wild power punches, gassing himself out in the first 3-4 minutes. Title fights are wonky at times, the hype/pressure gets to fighters and they do some pretty out of character things.

Misc notes. Ngannou has a hell of a chin, Stipe hit him with some serious power punches and he barely looked wobbled. Knocked him back a few steps and that was about it, most fighters would be floored or doing the fish dance after those hits. Stipe has nice composure under fire, even when he was getting hit with big shots he didn't panic & do anything stupid. Kept his feet moving, blocked & avoided shots as best as he could, and threw back with clean punches instead of the big loopy ones that most fighters do when they're hurt. And as I noted earlier, Stipe has a gift for making his opponents screw up, and then making them pay.

And as I noted earlier, Stipe has a gift for making his opponents screw up, and then making them pay.

Stipe has a chin of "pig iron" as I said, and then he jabs and takes you down. He's enjoyable to watch. You don't get to be HW champ by caving to flavor of the month.

I was shocked how bad Ngannous boxing looked. Was the first full fight I watched with him.
As said he trains with world class boxing coaches and then this is the result?

Sure maybe he just had the wrong tactic at the beginning in forcing the ko but when this did not work and he gassed there was nothing to fall back on like defensive movement with a jab, short straight punches ,defensive footwork instead of his lunging hooks/uppercuts.

Matt Mitrione looks like Larry Holmes compared to Ngannou. Imo his talent is just not there besides his physical attributes and he is more of a Brett Rogers 2.0. That is enough in todays HW to get a title shot.

And he has no fallback skills if stand up doesnt work out. No great wrestling or bjj either. Last time I saw Dana this crushed that the champ won was at GSP vs. Hendricks. UFC hype machine went to extreme lenghts to promote Ngannou as next MMA Tyson and nearly completely ignored Stipe. Talk about karma ;)

I’m calling a Stipe KO. Ngannou overbalances with his jab and pulls back with his his rear hand, chin up. It looked like Overeem was trying to catch him coming in by slipping and countering the jab with an overhand. Ngannou adjusted and caught him with the uppercut while he was slipping.
I thing that while Overeem might be an equal or even slightly better overall striking than Stipe, Stipe has better boxing and movement that will help him exploit the openings.

Or Ngannou catches him and removes his head
Repost....
The right hands that were landing were on the end of Ngannou’s over reaching jab. Stipe slipped or moved out of range then followed the jab arm back with his straight. He tried a few overhands, but Ngannou’s arms and shoulders were so big he couldn’t get around.

N’gannou does a good job of discouraging head movement with his uppercuts. Ideally you’d want your guy to be doing small slips left and right rather than bobing and leaning over.
There’s a lot of people shitting on him, but he was close to KOing Stipe a few times. I love Stipe but he has a couple of dangerous habits. He over exaggerates his slips, but gets away with it because of the way he rolls with them fluidly. He also backs up with his chin high and leaning back. If Ngannou clipped him at any of those points he would have been toast.
I still think he’s in the heavyweight greatest conversation though. Bring on Cain

That was kinda painful to watch... (not really surprising from a sport that relies so much in punching)

The first 2 minutes, I was: Good, I'm gonna get me some cyber-beers...
But then...

I cannot accept "pro" athletes to gaz so badly after 2 minutes. Even if your gameplan is to go all out in the first round, you cannot have a cardio that bad... And been a HW is no excuse.
His technique is terrible, made worst from the fatigue. But at least that is compensate by his explosiveness... for just 2 minutes.

Stipe is obviously the better fighter, and clearly deserve the win, but I'm still not impressed by him. And I would like to be a fan, the guy is serious, no trash talking, no push from the UFC... But I don't know...

The fight sucked tbh (apart from the first round), from both sides. Ngannou with the Bangboose fight IQ and Stipe with the lay n pray on the last rounds.

Francis has a GOAT chin tho. He got hit flush with punches that would probably sleep any HW on the roster, and didnt even flinch.

Liked the entire card but that last fight. This shit is exactly why I do not watch MMA. How a guy like Nganou or whatever his name is fighting for a belt really. He has worse cardio than me, wrestles worse than me and is loading every punch he trows... even Bob Sapp looked better back in the days.

Liked the entire card but that last fight. This shit is exactly why I do not watch MMA. How a guy like Nganou or whatever his name is fighting for a belt really. He has worse cardio than me, wrestles worse than me and is loading every punch he trows... even Bob Sapp looked better back in the days.
Marketing and hype 101.

When I first got into MMA, I thought it was weird how Brock had little exposure and was already in line for the heavyweight strap. Shit like that would never fly in boxing.

I was shocked how bad Ngannous boxing looked. Was the first full fight I watched with him.
As said he trains with world class boxing coaches and then this is the result?

Sure maybe he just had the wrong tactic at the beginning in forcing the ko but when this did not work and he gassed there was nothing to fall back on like defensive movement with a jab, short straight punches ,defensive footwork instead of his lunging hooks/uppercuts.

Matt Mitrione looks like Larry Holmes compared to Ngannou. Imo his talent is just not there besides his physical attributes and he is more of a Brett Rogers 2.0. That is enough in todays HW to get a title shot.

And he has no fallback skills if stand up doesnt work out. No great wrestling or bjj either. Last time I saw Dana this crushed that the champ won was at GSP vs. Hendricks. UFC hype machine went to extreme lenghts to promote Ngannou as next MMA Tyson and nearly completely ignored Stipe. Talk about karma ;)

i told u i was like wtf how can anyone say hes a good boxer lol hes always been slow and swings as hard as he can thats only good if you sit right there with small gloves trading yes if he makes contact your gonna go down but a good fighter will stop that lol

tbh conors wrestling isnt much better than his when a blown up 125er in chad mendes takes you down and holds you on 7 days notice when your walking around at 185

i told u i was like wtf how can anyone say hes a good boxer lol hes always been slow and swings as hard as he can thats only good if you sit right there with small gloves trading yes if he makes contact your gonna go down but a good fighter will stop that lol
MMA.

Punching and getting wins from it = great boxing.

Shit I'm a MMA guy before boxer, but its sad to see from my community sometimes. This is a community where hands up chin down = technical

Fuckin' lol

Repost....
The right hands that were landing were on the end of Ngannou’s over reaching jab. Stipe slipped or moved out of range then followed the jab arm back with his straight. He tried a few overhands, but Ngannou’s arms and shoulders were so big he couldn’t get around.

N’gannou does a good job of discouraging head movement with his uppercuts. Ideally you’d want your guy to be doing small slips left and right rather than bobing and leaning over.
There’s a lot of people shitting on him, but he was close to KOing Stipe a few times. I love Stipe but he has a couple of dangerous habits. He over exaggerates his slips, but gets away with it because of the way he rolls with them fluidly. He also backs up with his chin high and leaning back. If Ngannou clipped him at any of those points he would have been toast.
I still think he’s in the heavyweight greatest conversation though. Bring on Cain

he beats cain tbh mma is a diff sport alot of pure strikers are dissing there cardio but have never wrestled before in a real fight along with punching theres a reason kick boxing matches are only 3x3 vs 5x5 in mma and you have to grapple too. it truly takes it out of you they gassed early on going for broke in round 1 it happens in fights at times great conditioned guys get to excited and you blow your wad then you just have to go off pure will and it sucks stipe has shown he has great cardio in past

MMA.

Punching and getting wins from it = great boxing.

Shit I'm a MMA guy before boxer, but its sad to see from my community sometimes. This is a community where hands up chin down = technical

Fuckin' lol

well thats what dumb casuals think idc wat they think they are the same people who think conor is the technical goat when he lives in a country of no wrestlers and would get taken down by average 155ers if theyd give him a guy who wrestled

tbh conors wrestling isnt much better than his when a blown up 125er in chad mendes takes you down and holds you on 7 days notice when your walking around at 185
Mendes was on roids and Conor was injured I believe.

Mendes was on roids and Conor was injured I believe.

so lol chad walks around at 150 pounds blown up with muscle he could drop down to 125 but he has team mates all at 35 and 25 so stays at 145 regardless of roids lol conor had a full camp while chad had 77 days and it showed and he still took him down and held him and conor was mad telling the ref to stand them up it showed he felt very vulnerable when you have that much of a size advantage no roids is gonna close that gap come on lol thats frankie edgar vs wonderboy in size

Back