Francis N'Gannou Is Not Yet A Bust (Logic and Numbers' Based Argument)

Franc Mittelo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the people saying that Francis N'Gannou is a "Hype Train derailed" fighter, maybe you are right but maybe you are wrong. We don't know yet.

But let us look at the records of both Stipe and Francis to make a more reasonable analysis.

(1) Stipe was 6-0 before joining the UFC. Francis was 5-1 before joining the UFC.

(2) After 7 fights in the UFC, Stipe lost by KO/TKO to Stefan Struve, and fought Fabio Maldonado for his 7th fight.

After 7 fights in the UFC, Francis lost by UD to the greatest HW in UFC history, and that was his 7th UFC fight, which was against the greatest UFC HW in History.

At similar stages of their respective careers, Francis N'Gannou has already achieved more than Stipe Miocic. Stipe fought for the belt in his 10th fight in the UFC. Francis fought for the belt in his 7th fight in the UFC.

My conclusion is to wait and see what Francis N'Gannou does in the next 3 fights, before we start exaggerating about his demise.

His career trajectory at the moment is still ahead of Stipe's. Francis needs to take the rest of the year off and force himself to do mostly grappling training, if he is serious about being a legitimate dominant force in the UFC.

It doesn't take that long to be a great grappler. You must just commit to it.

For the people saying that Francis N'Gannou is a "Hype Train derailed" fighter, maybe you are right but maybe you are wrong. We don't know yet.

But let us look at the records of both Stipe and Francis to make a more reasonable analysis.

(1) Stipe was 6-0 before joining the UFC. Francis was 5-1 before joining the UFC.

(2) After 7 fights in the UFC, Stipe lost by KO/TKO to Stefan Struve, and fought Fabio Maldonado for his 7th fight.

After 7 fights in the UFC, Francis lost by UD to the greatest HW in UFC history, and that was his 7th UFC fight, which was against the greatest UFC HW in History.

At similar stages of their respective careers, Francis N'Gannou has already achieved more than Stipe Miocic. Stipe fought for the belt in his 10th fight in the UFC. Francis fought for the belt in his 7th fight in the UFC.

My conclusion is to wait and see what Francis N'Gannou does in the next 3 fights, before we start exaggerating about his demise.

His career trajectory at the moment is still ahead of Stipe's. Francis needs to take the rest of the year off and force himself to do mostly grappling training, if he is serious about being a legitimate dominant force in the UFC.

Hey will definitely train wrestling after the "Stipe Show"

I love to repost this in all of the Ngannou threads
IMG_6886.PNG

Well that was not a really damaging fight - not like what Cain did to JDS - Stipe was just a little less tired than him.

If he is willing to work on the obvious weaknesses then he can be the guy the UFC wanted him to be; which depends on how he takes this loss.

The Hype train was derailed... He's a great fighter though. Always insanely dangerous but never likely to be in GOAT discussions. He will NEVER be what many thought he was. Again Hype Train derailed...

I wouldn't call the hype train derailed either, just shunted off to the shed for repairs.

But I'd re-examine your "better career trajectory" talk. Ngannou may have raced to the top faster, but he also had fewer imposing obstacles in his path. The only two notable names on his record were fighters whose chins were ripe for the picking.

And that contributed to him not advancing in his skills as fast as his ranking did. So his rebuilding will probably take longer than you think. Less than a year and he'll be a great grappler? I don't see that happening even though I'm amazed at how fast Francis learns things.

That's even assuming Francis is super committed to learning grappling, which I'm not so sure. His initial dream was to be a boxer, MMA was simply seen as an easier way into competition. Even with the debacle of Saturday he may have reached a level of pull that could get him into boxing circles now if he so chose. He could end up saying "f this humping stuff" and bail out of MMA altogether.

Francis was not a hype train, that's a fact. You can't get a titleshot by being a hype train, he beat 3 guys ranked in top 12, including former #1 ranked Alistair Overeem, that wasn't UFC hype promote machine, Francis did that. He'll be back, and i'm not sure more than 3 people in HW other than Stipe would've a chance against him.

nah, he's for real. a rematch is a toss up imo

JDS had been 6-1 before joining the UFC and after 8 fights in UFC was undefeated in the org.

With stomping Cro Cop, Struve, Werdum, Cain etc...

Now that had been a run.

Yet his career only went down, nosedive down from there.

It's really hard to predict anything in this brutal sport.

I agree that francis can still improve, become championship level in the next 2 - 3 years. He has a lot of great tools to work with.

Popular opinion swings like a pendulum, before the fight he was a world beater, a completely unstoppable force the likes of which UFC had never seen before.

Now? He's an amateur who can't wrestle and gasses after a few minutes.

But he still has the insane power, good striking, and the size advantage over most other HWs. He may not move like a super athlete but for his size he moves very well. And he showed a lot of heart in the fight against stipe. If he trains well he still has a lot of potential.

What would concern me are his coaches, i don't think they can give him the sort of training he needs at this stage.

Francis against a large percentage of the poor Heavyweight division will look good, he clearly has the power to trouble anyone. Ban him from the UFC Institute & instead put him in ATT or somewhere similar away from his current crowd of yes-men & a rematch with Stipe in a year or so may well look very different.

But if he doesn't switch to a proper camp to focus on wrestling & cardio he is going to have trouble against the elite of the division as Stipe drew out the blueprint of how to beat Francis.

Francis still has tons of power, is still athletic, and still has size/strength as an advantage. It's the same people who were overrating him that are underrating him now, but neither is accurate.

He doesn't have the cardio right now, but he can work on that. He can also improve his wrestling, his BJJ, and his ability to get back to his feet against elite grapplers, which are tough skills to learn while keeping everything else sharp, but it's possible. I think he probably needs to get himself to a different camp to cover all these bases though.

The Hype train was derailed... He's a great fighter though. Always insanely dangerous but never likely to be in GOAT discussions. He will NEVER be what many thought he was. Again Hype Train derailed...
How can you say this, when Stipe was a nobody after 7 fights in the UFC?

N'Gannou fought the UFC HW GOAT in his 7th fight in the UFC. Although he was completely over-matched, he lasted 5 rounds with very little damage, and never looked like he was ever going to get finished.

Stipe fought Fabio Maldonado (a LHW) in his 7th fight in the UFC. Now, Stipe is the UFC HW GOAT.

Him vs lewis has to happen and I mean soon

It'll be easier for the other ranking HW's to develop better head movement and avoid enganoo for 90 seconds 'til he gasses than it will be for him to improve cardio and his ground game.

MMAath as it is.
Thats not about path, but about his inconsistency as a fighter. As for now, there is a blue print on how to beat him. Could he cover those holes?
We cant predict.

Back