Founding fathers quote thread

The quote is dumb, but also obviously wasn't said by Benjamin Franklin. Poor guy died before "lunch" was even a word.

BTW, came into the thread wondering when the first false attribution would occur. Not surprised that it was in the OP (not the only one, I'd bet, though that was the most obvious).

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." - George Washington

The quote is dumb, but also obviously wasn't said by Benjamin Franklin. Poor guy died before "lunch" was even a word.

BTW, came into the thread wondering when the first false attribution would occur. Not surprised that it was in the OP (not the only one, I'd bet, though that was the most obvious).

I think it's funny, that rather than provide quotes that the quill stenographer accurately recorded, that you just shit on the idea of all quotes from the birth of our nation.

I think it's funny, that rather than provide quotes that the quill stenographer accurately recorded, that you just shit on the idea of all quotes from the birth of our nation.

"Ain't nothin' like black pussy on my dick, word to the motherfuckin' DJ Quick" - Ben Franklin

The quote I'm shtting on was first uttered more than two hundred years after the birth of our nation. Does accuracy not matter at all to you?

The quote I'm shtting on was first uttered more than two hundred years after the birth of our nation. Does accuracy not matter at all to you?

You act like there is no question that Franklin made a similar statement. Their is a far cry from not sure if we can attribute this statement to Ben Franklin, and no one had ever heard of that until a meme from 2006.

Yes, I know, article from 92'. But then keep digging and you will find a paraphrase possibly attributed to Franklin.

More words of wisdom from an ex Prime Minister of Australia, wise enough even to rival the founding fathers

You act like there is no question that Franklin made a similar statement. Their is a far cry from not sure if we can attribute this statement to Ben Franklin, and no one had ever heard of that until a meme from 2006.

I act like if there's no record of him having said it, and no one claimed he said it until roughly two hundred years after he died (finding no new evidence for it), it's wrong to quote him as having said it, even if people who never knew him think it's possible that he might have said something like it. Falsely attributed quotes are a kind of intellectual rape--and a necrophiliac one in this case.

As I said to Cubo, we do know that like pretty much every supporter of political democracy, the founders did believe in rights, which covers the broad sentiment in the first half of the quote (the second half is where the writer drops the ball).

Last edited:
"It is much to be wished that slavery may be abolished. The honour of the States, as well as justice and humanity, in my opinion, loudly call upon them to emancipate these unhappy people. To contend for our own liberty, and to deny that blessing to others, involves an inconsistency not to be excused."

---John Jay, 1786

Back