Forum preservation thread

Discussion in 'Muay Thai and Kickboxing' started by Cocakillbana, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

Simple.

We used to have 20 page arguments in the past with a lot of flaming. We don't have that now. This goes well beyond before when you joined the forum...

SuperLuigi likes this.
  2. Kanka

Kanka Brown Belt

What is the discussion here?

3. UWanaPlayDaGame

UWanaPlayDaGame Purple Belt

Coca is going out of his way to stand up for japanese fighters and jtwarwagon went on a spree defending the high quality of mma striking.

4. Cocakillbana

Cocakillbana Black Belt

5. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

And I'm sure he left some things with them too. I highly doubt Ludwig would fly him over to work with his UFC champion if his striking wasn't good as @jtwarwagon4life claims...

KenkaBancho likes this.
  6. Snubnoze707

Snubnoze707 High Level

No they dont.

7. Kanka

Kanka Brown Belt

Didnt some random guy beat up the champ Yodpayak? Does it mean all of 63+ kg muay thai is a joke?

Of course i'm not being serious but that's the level of some of the arguments here

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  8. UWanaPlayDaGame

9. AbeRudder

AbeRudder Green Belt

Forgot about Schilt, he was doing kudo and full contact karate before he did mma though. He was always a striker that picked up some submission grappling (kudo has some grappling too but not enough to prepare for mma), similar to Bas Rutten.

There haven't been enough successful crossovers to claim that MMA striking is equal or better than kickboxing striking, in my opinion.

10. AbeRudder

AbeRudder Green Belt

I think his point is that Genji should be held in higher regard than other Japanese fighters like Urabe or Takeru because he's consistently fought top thais at their own weight and done well in some cases. The argument against Genji is that he's lost a bunch of times and is 0-3 in thailand, the loss against Sakmongkol was particularly bad.

11. UWanaPlayDaGame

I even tend to agree but the way they're going about stuff in this argument makes it sound like it's a bunch of casuals. Clinging on to one given result and drawing absolute conclusions.

KenkaBancho likes this.
  12. jtwarwagon4life

jtwarwagon4life Green Belt

Whole lot of picking and choosing going on here. Guys like Garbrant and Barbooza have striking backgrounds are they not MMA fighters? Do we just discount the striking of every MMA fighter that did stand up previously. That's silly. It's called MMA, striking is part of the sport and there is nothing to preclude guys with striking backgrounds from entering the sport.

And because MMA offers better money and incentives than kickboxing they often end up with certain high level strikers that slip through the cracks. Which in part accounts for why the mean level of striking in MMA is comparable to the level of striking in kickboxing. Which also accounts for why there aren't many crossovers. Hardly any good MMA fighters are even trying.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  13. jtwarwagon4life

Muay thai over 65kg is a joke. That's obvious to anyone who follows the sports.

Although I'm not sure how Yodpayak losing means anything. He isn't a good fighter, even by the low standards of that division.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  14. jtwarwagon4life

MMA striking isn't terribly high quality on the whole. Kickboxing "striking" is just vastly overrated.

15. jtwarwagon4life

Dekkers was like 2-20 when fighting in Thailand. Doesn't really mean anything.

The difference in competition is huge. Urabe fight in a division with like 5 other fighters, of whom he is not even the best! I will say it again if I have to say it a thousand times: the level of competition in kickboxing is garbage! And Urabe fights in one of it's worst divisions.

16. jtwarwagon4life

People should really appreciate Umeno more.

He's easily one of the best nonthais of the last 30 years or so. Probably one of the best ever.

17. jtwarwagon4life

Also worth noting that Yamato was a nobody muay thai fighter before k1. His biggest moment was getting decapitated by Saenchai in under 2 minutes.

18. Crimson Glory

Crimson Glory Go Leafs Go!

These are some of the reasons I couldn't get into Muay Thai, past a very casual interest.

There's no coverage in English, few talk about it, hard to know who everyone is(partly to do with the fact that everyone has one, if not multiple pseudonyms) or what makes them unique or special as a fighter... it feels almost impenetrable as an English speaking foreigner.

Tayski likes this.
  19. Kanka

Kanka Brown Belt

There seem to be many new knowledgable posters which is nice to see

UWanaPlayDaGame likes this.
  20. ildottore

ildottore White Belt

Is it really so surprising that MMA strikers find success against kickboxers? Kickboxing is inextricable from MMA striking. MMA fighters have easy access (directly and indirecty) to kickboxing knowledge. Hell, it's not uncommon for MMA fighters to be homegrown products of a kickboxer or a full-fledged kickboxing gym.

If Dillashaw were resolved to become a stadium champion at lightweight, then I wouldn't be surprised if - after only, say, two years at a decent gym - he did it.

KenkaBancho likes this.