Fortis Renegade gloves review

Kick_@ss_Seabass

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys and gales !

Today I will be reviewing the Fortis Renegade 16oz boxing gloves. These were sent to me by Adnan the owner of Fortis in exchange of a review. I accepted with the condition of being able to do an honest review. I also told Adnan that I would do the review only after having done at least 50-60 rounds. I have to say he is a patient man because it took me a while to do them do to work, kids and a shoulder injury.

Package:
The gloves took about 1 week to come from the UK to Canada (Montreal). The arrived packaged in a box which is a nice gesture and prevents Custom officiers to slash the gloves when opening the package for inspection. There was also a carry bag with the gloves.

Design:
I personally like the look of the Renegade gloves. The half black half white is imo different from what we usually see. I know a lot of you will find the design to be tacky, but I like it. My 6 year old son also like the lion head on the back hand. There is also Fortis written on the wrist strap.

The best way to describe these gloves would be to say that if Fairtex BGV1 and Twins BGVL3 have a baby, the Fortis Renegade would be their child. They have the Twins profile and shape (minus the bulkiness) and the Fairtex's thumb and similar padding. The thumb is long and slightly curved. It could be a bit smaller though. I have not jammed my thumb, but for people with short thumbs, this could make the gloves a bit uncomfortable imo.

Craftmanship:
The gloves are made of goat skin leather and all stitches are double stitched. Stitching is really on point and I only found 2 loose threads that were near the palm side of the wrist straps. Nothing that would cause a problem over time. The leather is painted and this leads to the first negative point which is that the black color is fading on the impact area of the gloves. Again this is purely cosmetic. The liner looks like satin but feels like a cloth ones. It feels super nice and absorbs the sweat and moisture really well. There is also 5 vent holes on the palms. I don't find them to get hot. I weighted the gloves with my digital kitchen scale and the right one came in at 15.8 oz and the left one at 15.9.

Padding:
Like I said, the padding feels a lot like the Fairtex BGV1's. As per Fortis, is has 4 layers (1st latex, 2nd-3rd underlay and 4th standard foam). It is a very protective padding and I went hard on the heavy bag with them and did not feel any wrist pain or felt it in my crappy shoulder. I don't think these should be use for sparring though.....unless you want to punish a bad sparring partner lol

Hand compartment:
I have normal size hands but long fingers. These gloves fits really well and I am able to land punches on my knuckles. I wrap Thai style and I have no problem fitting my hands inside the gloves.

Wrist:
The Fortis gloves have a dual step system similar to Hayabusa but not on opposite sides. The first strap is an elastic one and the second one is full leather. This system makes a solid wrist support by having the elastic strap to pull the sides of the wrist together. You don't feel that your wrist are In a cast which I like a lot. I always found the wrist support on the Hayabusa to be too much. Sadly, the first elastic strap is missing a rubber tab to help take it of.
I told Adnan about it and they will correct the situation.

Durability:
I have over 70 rounds on the heavy bag. I went hard (harder then with my other gloves). I also did MMA style drills with sprawls and push-ups. My 6 years old boy wears them all the time and he drags them the the floor as well. Other then the black paint who fadded a bit on the impact area, these gloves don't show any signs of fatigue.

Price:
These are normally £99$ but are currently on sale at £84.99$. Sherdog members can get a 15% discount when using the code SHERDOG.

In conclusion, I really like them and I think Fortis gloves are a nice option for people living in the UK or surrounding countries.

The $ conversion from £ to USD or CAD + shipping cost could scare people off.

Great gloves and I am really happy my friend @hangulmalmotayo refered me to @Fortis to do the review.

Hope you guys enjoyed the review. I will post pictures later.

Seb

Last edited:
Back