Former WWs Gastelum, Whitaker and GSP are 11-1 combined at MW.

Melas Chasma

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
If we count Kelvin`s KO over Vitor (NC because of kannabis). They have wins over Vitor, Bisping x2, Kennedy, Romero, Jacare, Brunson, etc.

It is because WW >>>>>>>>>> MW in general, or youth and speed (Whitaker and Gastelum) >>>>>>>>>> experience and size advantage.

Or is it both? I think those old dinosaurs at MW got just too old. Weidman is still in his prime and he finished Kelvin.

Useless information. Gsp and Kelvin both are beating only old and fading MWs.
GSP will lose to top MWs and Kelvin already has lost.

You missed the point. Its interesting to see at what point a fighter gets too old to hang even against fighters basically a weightclass smaller. There are also a deeper talent pool in general at WW (a lot more fighters globally), so that may be another factor which explains a part of this. It looks like elite WWs are more skilled fighters than elite MWs, on average. Thats how it should be, anyway.

Whitaker is the only one who has proven anything when you look at who they've beaten recently.

Whitaker is the only one who has proven anything when you look at who they've beaten recently.

Lol at "proven anything", like Gastelum hasnt done shit at MW. Whitaker also moved up because he got beaten by Wonderboy and Court McGee at WW. WW >>>>>>>>>MW.

Lol at "proven anything", like Gastelum hasnt done shit at MW. Whitaker also moved up because he got beaten by Wonderboy and Court McGee at WW. WW >>>>>>>>>MW.

He got taken down and pounded on like a little boy when he faced Weidman. This conversation has nothing to do with WW, but let's not forget Kelvin couldn't beat Neil Magny, or the weight scale during his time at WW.

Mw Dan Henderson Ko'ed the Heavyweight GOAT. MW >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other division.

He got taken down and pounded on like a little boy when he faced Weidman. This conversation has nothing to do with WW, but let's not forget Kelvin couldn't beat Neil Magny, or the weight scale during his time at WW.

Exactly, which only further proves WW >>>>>>>> MW.

Kelvin also dropped Weidman standing. How many MWs has done that?

Does GSP have more than one fight at MW or am I missing something.

WW is a far more skilled division. Whittaker and Kelvin are doing so well because most of the big dogs at MW are grapplers with non-exceptional striking.

Discrediting Gastelum by saying he got beat by Magny is in theme with this thread. That just discredits the MW division when you do that. Kennedy, Bisping, and Belfort were all high on the MW rankings when Gastelum beat them. Also, don't act like he wasn't giving Weidman a run for his money outside of the TD's.

They don't move to a heavier weight class cause they lose but because they are sick of cutting weight and they just got too big for the smaller division. I can believe that someone goes down a division after losing but not up, that doesn't make sense.

It is obvious that these former welterweights have a serious advantage in the speed of their striking, but it is hard to get over how small Kelvin looked with Weidman on top of him. Whittaker appears to have the footwork and strength to dodge the big takedown while it remains to be seen for Kelvin and GSP. I would not pick Kelvin against any of these massive grapplers like Yoel and Jacare.

GSP will lose to top MWs and Kelvin already has lost.

Although to be fair to Kelvin he almost knocked out the former champion and would have won if there was more time left in the round.

I honestly think that kid is a Dan Henderson type of athlete competitor but most importantly a fighter.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see that kid at 205 knocking people out.

Although just like Dan he's going to have trouble against the top guys of any division.
Give him anybody outside the top five and he will make quick work of them. Does it matter what weight class.

They don't move to a heavier weight class cause they lose but because they are sick of cutting weight and they just got too big for the smaller division. I can believe that someone goes down a division after losing but not up, that doesn't make sense.

Thats fair, but Whitaker is still not a big MW like other elite MWs, and Kelvin just doesnt have the discipline, imo.

The size difference between a WW and a MW only makes a difference in grappling. If they're just striking then the difference won't matter so much. Gastellum was handling himself against The Chris until they started grappling.

speed kills

have you noticed Stipe is way faster than the other mugs at HW?

Back