Former U.S. Education Secretary: 'We're top 10 in nothing'

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
no-ragrets-the-odyssey-1.jpg

Former U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan has strong opinions about how to fix the U.S. school system, and he’s skeptical that the current administration will deliver on key initiatives.

Duncan, who served in the Obama administration from 2009 to 2015 and just published a new book, says the country needs to improve access to early childhood education and increase wages for teachers to make the U.S. more competitive on the global stage.

“I think obviously the best investment we can make is in high-quality early childhood education,” Duncan told Yahoo Finance’s Seana Smith on Midday Movers. “The brutal truth is that whether you look at early childhood education access to that, whether you look at math and science scores K-12, whether you look at college completion rates, we’re top 10 in nothing. And that’s not good enough.”

Duncan’s comments reflect how apart from college rankings, the U.S. lags behind most of the developed world — and even parts of the developing world — when it comes to education.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fmr-education-secretary-were-top-184626455.html

giphy.gif

no-ragrets-the-odyssey-1.jpg

Former U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan has strong opinions about how to fix the U.S. school system, and he’s skeptical that the current administration will deliver on key initiatives.

Duncan, who served in the Obama administration from 2009 to 2015 and just published a new book, says the country needs to improve access to early childhood education and increase wages for teachers to make the U.S. more competitive on the global stage.

“I think obviously the best investment we can make is in high-quality early childhood education,” Duncan told Yahoo Finance’s Seana Smith on Midday Movers. “The brutal truth is that whether you look at early childhood education access to that, whether you look at math and science scores K-12, whether you look at college completion rates, we’re top 10 in nothing. And that’s not good enough.”

Duncan’s comments reflect how apart from college rankings, the U.S. lags behind most of the developed world — and even parts of the developing world — when it comes to education.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fmr-education-secretary-were-top-184626455.html

giphy.gif

Hasn't it been the same in US in the last 20-30 years, at least?

We have too many people and are too diverse in the US to be Top 10 in metrics that use averages, but our top students are still some of the best in the world. We probably have more high school drop out than other countries that top the lists have students. That said I think it's funny the guy who ran this shit for Obama NOW says we suck at education. We didn't just drop off a cliff in the last 3 year buddy.

Education here in terms of accessibility/quality ratio - where the ability to take out a monolithic loan is not considered "accessibility" - is absolute shit. If I end up having any kids, they'll be schooled in Europe - cheaper, equal or better quality, less likely to get shot.

Bullshit.

How many eating contests have we won?

We have too many people and are too diverse in the US to be Top 10 in metrics that use averages, but our top students are still some of the best in the world. We probably have more high school drop out than other countries that top the lists have students. That said I think it's funny the guy who ran this shit for Obama NOW says we suck at education. We didn't just drop off a cliff in the last 3 year buddy.

Is it really that important when it happened or under whose administration? Unless there were specific events in that time that led to it. It should be more important to identify this as a problem and try to solve it.

I'm surprised by the statement myself, sounds a bit sensationalist but if US isn't top 10 in anything that's not a good sign for them.

Is it really that important when it happened or under whose administration? Unless there were specific events in that time that led to it. It should be more important to identify this as a problem and try to solve it.

I'm surprised by the statement myself, sounds a bit sensationalist but if US isn't top 10 in anything that's not a good sign for them.

No of course it doesn't matter who's administration it was under, but this dude makes it sound like it's all the Trumps admin fault. Honestly IMO our education woes aren't as much an issue with the education system as with poverty and shitty parenting. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Too many students don't want to be there and their parents don't care.

Our population is too huge to compete with countries the size of a state or one of our cities. We have the best Universities in the World and our top students always rank high.

The 11 most educated Countries in the world according to many sources including Buisness Insider:

1.Singapore
2. Finland
3.Netherlands
4.Swiss
5.Belgium
6. Denmark
7. Norway
8. US
9. Australia
10. New Zealand

We have dumbed down the educational system in this country.

th

No of course it doesn't matter who's administration it was under, but this dude makes it sound like it's all the Trumps admin fault. Honestly IMO our education woes aren't as much an issue with the education system as with poverty and shitty parenting. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Too many students don't want to be there and their parents don't care.

Yes if he's blaming trump for all this it doesn't make sense at all. The problems are likely to be more deep rooted and go well past trump.

I agree with that but I think the education system can improve as well and at least be more encouraging to those who are actually interested in learning and doing something meaningful.

U.S. Department of Education annual budget - $68 billion.....
Big guv'ment in action, folks.

This pretty much sums it up.

Yeah, i am no fan of Trump, but this has been a problem for a long time in America.
But , he be may be throwing some shade at Trump's administration and the moron that is currently holding his former position.
She has no experience or qualifications in teaching or the education field. She has never been to a public school, and her children don't go to public schools. How can such a person be tasked to run public education? It's absurd.

It is unfair to make direct comparisons between the US and other countries because we have a lot more factors to consider , but even if you just put up individual states against countries we're still behind.
There's not nearly enough time and funds focused on education. Being a teacher is a respected job around most parts of the world, it seems like a thankless labor of love for American teachers

Last edited:
You are in weapons, guns, movies, wars, power of influence, finance, and energy

We have too many people and are too diverse in the US to be Top 10 in metrics that use averages, but our top students are still some of the best in the world.

Yes, our average is bad because our bottom end is so bad.

But that's not because of "too many people and too diverse". That's a choice we've made and continue to make here - to value making the rich richer and shit on people on the low economic end - that other developed countries don't make.

Yes, our average is bad because our bottom end is so bad.

But that's not because of "too many people and too diverse". That's a choice we've made and continue to make here - to value making the rich richer and shit on people on the low economic end - that other developed countries don't make.

How exactly do we shit on the low end? If you're poor you get money for food, money for rent, money for children, free k-12 education, Medicaid, free cell phone, grants for college, etc

I went to a magnet school in the middle of the ghetto. I know people who went on to get full rides to ivy league schools and other who are currently working at McDonald's, we are in our 30s btw. Those fry cooks had the same educational opportunities as the ivy league doctors, they just didn't take advantage of it.

Seems like a better

Yeah, i am no fan of Trump, but this has been a problem for a long time in America.
But , he be may be throwing some shade at Trump's administration and the moron that is currently holding his former position.
She has no experience or qualifications in teaching or the education field. She has never been to a public school, and her children don't go to public schools. How can such a person be tasked to run public education? It's absurd.

It is unfair to make direct comparisons between the US and other countries because we have a lot more factors to consider , but even if you just put up individual states against countries we're still behind.
There's not nearly enough time and funds focused on education. Being a teacher is a respected job around most parts of the world, it seems like a thankless labor of love for American teachers

That's pretty much it.

- In the US, all of our students are tested. Do other countries test all their students at all schools? Or select only certain schools or certain students to test?

- Do they administer the same test to the different countries?

- Is school mandatory in countries were are compared against?

- If we are so bad, why do students from around the world flock to our universities?

Back