Former matchmaker Zach Light sues Bellator

Dropping a bomb, that fighter medical shit seems big. Wonder if that could effect their liscence.

To bring a lawsuit like this forward you have to believe the fighter medical stuff is true. It's quite easy to prove truth or false.

The rest of it is more or less one's person words against the other..

Either way I hope Bellator's numbers look good behind the scenes cause if the product is burning money and now causing lawsuits it won't go over well with the bean counters within Viacom.

The medical stuff if proven true is a big deal if they were responsible.

The matchmaking? Who cares EVERY org gives fighters they dislike poor matchups.

Yea the medical stuff is the only thing that really caught my eye.

To bring a lawsuit like this forward you have to believe the fighter medical stuff is true. It's quite easy to prove truth or false.

Exactly. There has to be something there or no lawyer would have taken the case. It’s not going to be hard to prove one way or another. The matchmaking crap is just dumb and will probably get dropped or tossed. It seems nearly impossible to prove, especially considering the commission has to approve the fights as well.

some interesting shit here

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/5/2...im-adam-rendon-scott-coker-rich-chou-mma-news

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...otion-execs-scrutinized-for-managing-fighters

i dont know about this bit though:

"Coker told [Light] to ‘get the terrorist's fighters beaten and beaten badly,' thereby allowing Coker to cut ties between defendant BELLATOR and McCann [sic]. [Light] was required to arrange fights between McGann's fighters and opponents who would convincingly defeat them. Such outcomes would then enable Coker to have a convenient pretext to terminate McGann's fighters' promotional contracts with defendant BELLATOR. Such collusive matches were tantamount to fight fixin"

That doesnt sound like fight fixing to me. just putting together tough matches for guys you want to lose, which i dont think is legally wrong, and for the most part not morally either.

some interesting shit here

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/5/2...im-adam-rendon-scott-coker-rich-chou-mma-news

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...otion-execs-scrutinized-for-managing-fighters

i dont know about this bit though:

"Coker told [Light] to ‘get the terrorist's fighters beaten and beaten badly,' thereby allowing Coker to cut ties between defendant BELLATOR and McCann [sic]. [Light] was required to arrange fights between McGann's fighters and opponents who would convincingly defeat them. Such outcomes would then enable Coker to have a convenient pretext to terminate McGann's fighters' promotional contracts with defendant BELLATOR. Such collusive matches were tantamount to fight fixin"

That doesnt sound like fight fixing to me. just putting together tough matches for guys you want to lose, which i dont think is legally wrong, and for the most part not morally either.

Yeah the matchmaking thing isn't an issue, for me.
The medical stuff, though...

Yeah the matchmaking thing isn't an issue, for me.
The medical stuff, though...
that shit sounds shady as fuck and sounds like its true. if it is man, i hope coker steps out of his involvement with combat sports.

Some of the things sound very un-Cokerish to me... Get the terrorists beaten!

Lol what

the shady medical stuff is bad, really bad.

Coker is just as scummy as anyone else despite some fans acting like he's the greatest guy who loves and cares about fighters.
I prefer promotors who are more outspoken thab a generic answer to media all the time. Thats why I dont like coker much

"Former UFC fighter..."

And stop right there. That's all you need to know, this is a ll part of UFC's smear campaign against Coker and Bellator. Coker has shown that all that matters to him is fighter safety and that he's much calmer and easier to work with than Dana. That's all you need to know. This is all just a bunch of hearsay that will probably go away in a couple of days. And even if it is true, so what? UFC does the exact same thing.

"Former UFC fighter..."

And stop right there. That's all you need to know, this is a ll part of UFC's smear campaign against Coker and Bellator. Coker has shown that all that matters to him is fighter safety and that he's much calmer and easier to work with than Dana. That's all you need to know. This is all just a bunch of hearsay that will probably go away in a couple of days. And even if it is true, so what? UFC does the exact same thing.

Coker cares about fighter safety, huh?

Who was it that booked Royce, Ken, and an overweight amateur fighter for an event in the state with the shadiest athletic commission?

Somebody almost died that night...

Coker cares about fighter safety, huh?

Who was it that booked Royce, Ken, and an overweight amateur fighter for an event in the state with the shadiest athletic commission?

Somebody almost died that night...

Right. Almost. Coker got him right to the hospital and probably saved his life. If that happened in UFC, Dana would have the cameras over Dada's body and charged fans a PPV fee to watch him die. You can't possibly say that Dana cares more about safety than Coker. No one has ever been seriously hurt in a Bellator event. Dana definitely can't say the same.

Right. Almost. Coker got him right to the hospital and probably saved his life. If that happened in UFC, Dana would have the cameras over Dada's body and charged fans a PPV fee to watch him die. You can't possibly say that Dana cares more about safety than Coker. No one has ever been seriously hurt in a Bellator event. Dana definitely can't say the same.

You are completely missing the point and your bias is showing.

My point is UFC would have never booked those matches, furthermore, those matches never would have been sanctioned in a state with a more serious athletic commission.

Bellator put those matches on in Texas because they knew Texas would allow them.

Coker saved his life.. yea way to spin that one buddy. As if he is the one sitting cageside and deciding which fighters paramedics take to the hospital and which ones live out of the kindness of his heart. I have heard some ridiculous shit on Sherdog, but this easily is a top 5 most ridiculous claim.

Anyway, knowing that Coker is willing to exploit fighters for ratings, the story in OP is actually not hard to believe.

On a final note, between Bellator and UFC, only one of them has a medical insurance policy for its fighters....

You are completely missing the point and your bias is showing.

My point is UFC would have never booked those matches, furthermore, those matches never would have been sanctioned in a state with a more serious athletic commission.

Bellator put those matches on in Texas because they knew Texas would allow them.

Coker saved his life.. yea way to spin that one buddy. As if he is the one sitting cageside and deciding which fighters paramedics take to the hospital and which ones live out of the kindness of his heart. I have heard some ridiculous shit on Sherdog, but this easily is a top 5 most ridiculous claim.

Anyway, knowing that Coker is willing to exploit fighters for ratings, the story in OP is actually not hard to believe.

On a final note, between Bellator and UFC, only one of them has a medical insurance policy for its fighters....
Not trying to defend the dada shit because there is no defending that, but how can u say the UFC wouldn't do any of that? The UFC had their fair share of freakshows. Kimbo has fought for them before(like it or not, he has always been a freakshow)Toney got toyed with by randy. And the UFC signed a 37 year old pro wrestler with absolutely no fighting experience. Whether or not cm punk ends up fighting doesn't change anything, UFCs intentions to put him in the cage are there. U can't say the UFC is above freakshow shit because they clearly aren't.

Not trying to defend the dada shit because there is no defending that, but how can u say the UFC wouldn't do any of that? The UFC had their fair share of freakshows. Kimbo has fought for them before(like it or not, he has always been a freakshow)Toney got toyed with by randy. And the UFC signed a 37 year old pro wrestler with absolutely no fighting experience. Whether or not cm punk ends up fighting doesn't change anything, UFCs intentions to put him in the cage are there. U can't say the UFC is above freakshow shit because they clearly aren't.

I never said UFC wouldn't do freakshow fights.

I'm sure they wouldn't put someone in the cage who couldn't pass a medical exam though... UFC actually goes above and beyond state athletic commissions with USADA and by bringing staff to test and clear fighters when they go abroad in countries that lack proper commissions.

Kidney failure doesn't happen overnight. There is no way Dada 5000 passed a medical and he shouldnt have been cleared to fight. The article in OP claims that Coker is willing to ignore fighter safety and I believe it.

Just ignore the UFC shill. He seems to think Dana is some kind of saint while Coker actually saved a man's life. Guys ge badly hurt every day in UFC and Dana does nothing. No one has ever been seriously hurt in Bellator.

I never said UFC wouldn't do freakshow fights.

I'm sure they wouldn't put someone in the cage who couldn't pass a medical exam though... UFC actually goes above and beyond state athletic commissions with USADA and by bringing staff to test and clear fighters when they go abroad in countries that lack proper commissions.

Kidney failure doesn't happen overnight. There is no way Dada 5000 passed a medical and he shouldnt have been cleared to fight. The article in OP claims that Coker is willing to ignore fighter safety and I believe it.
Please explain what u mean by "those matches" then?

Fact is kimbo fought for them. Even at his best, kimbo was like a 37 year old street brawler in the UFC. And I know kidney failure doesn't happen overnight, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened to the highest level athletes. Dc dropped out of the Olympics due to Kidney failure.

Please explain what u mean by "those matches" then?

Fact is kimbo fought for them. Even at his best, kimbo was like a 37 year old street brawler in the UFC. And I know kidney failure doesn't happen overnight, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened to the highest level athletes. Dc dropped out of the Olympics due to Kidney failure.

I wasn't trying to argue with you, just using some facts to back up my claims. If I'm arguing with anyone it's that idiot who said Coker saved Dada's life and Dana would have created a PPV to document Dada's death.

Anyway I was specifically referring to Dada 5000 vs Kimbo, and Ken vs Royce.

Yes, 3 out of 4 fighters were in UFC at some point. However, Ken and Royce are both in UFC Hall of Fame, which is UFC's way of telling them they don't want them fighting anymore, their careers are over. Dana has even said putting Ken in a cage is dangerous- this was back when Kimbo was originally going to fight him in Elite XC.

UFC gave Kimbo a shot on Ultimate Fighter, and they marketed it as "Kimbo getting in the right way"- slowly being brought up by the best trainers and best programs available. They didn't market him as the "street brawling killer", they portrayed him as a humble man who wanted to give MMA an honest shot the same way most fighters get into it. After he let Houston Alexander dance around him and he got TKO's by a very green Matt Mitrione, they cut their ties.

So yes, Kimbo was in UFC, but at the time, the circumstances were very different.

One promotion let him fight his way in, and eventually work his way to the top (which didn't work out, he was never a main event)

The other promotion put him in the main event slot right away and had him walk out to his youtube fight videos playing behind him.

The Dada 5000 vs Kimbo fight wouldn't have happened in UFC specifically because Dada 5000 never had what it takes to get in UFC or pass the pre-fight medical.

These are the reasons I specified "those matches"

If you want to claim UFC does other stupid shit like have Connor rematch Nate when he should be defending the 145lb belt, I wouldn't argue with you at all. The only reason I'm in this particular discussion is because I always had the feeling that Coker was not the saint people here thought he was, and the lawsuit, Dada going through cardiac arrest, fights in Texas, etc. are all proving that.

Last edited:
Back