Former Lumpinee & Rajadamnern Champ makes MMA debut March 11th

And Glory isnt the only player either like K-1 was. The Chinese orgs bring in a lot of Thais.

Sasnchai? That's looking more like it was just a one fight thing.

maybe, he's still in the rankings, though. doubt they keep pushing him.

we'll see couple more thais when Glory comes to thailand.

Finally saw the fight.

Saketdao did make a compelling case for the thai clinch in MMA.

Let's see how it plays as he moves up in opponents' quality.

Why was there are one Thai policy in k 1?

That policy was not an official policy, they never announced it was the case. However K-1 has often been trying to make sure their Japanese stars would win as often as possible, as it would help getting the Japanese audience more interested in their product (you follow your national fighters). Many suspected they only had Buakaw from Thailand in K-1 Max and before that only Kaolan Kaovichit to limit the chances of Thai fighters winning K-1 Max every year. There's been other Thais in K-1 overall though. However many believe they made sure they would not be more than 1 Thai fighter per tournament.

Finally saw the fight.

Saketdao did make a compelling case for the thai clinch in MMA.

Let's see how it plays as he moves up in opponents' quality.

Check out Demetrious Johnson or Jon Jones fights to see how they incorporate thai style clinching at the highest levels. It doesn't have to exist in a bubble, the grips are the same, you just use the leverages differently. For wrestling its more for snapping the head down, where thais are more circular with the grips. DJ has now destroyed a world combat sambo champ and a gold medal wrestler in the clinch with nowhere near the amateur pedigree as his opponents. Much can be attributed to his clinch flow between the clinching styles.

To the original topic, I'm hoping Evolve either produces a fighter with strong muay thai or poaches a talented young fighter to groom. Why not poach someone like Sangmanee when he was 16 and had aspirations to be a boxer versus muay thai legends with tons of mileage already. You can easily pay their living expenses, and they can double as coaches like their current crop of trainers.

Last edited:
Check out Demetrious Johnson or Jon Jones fights to see how they incorporate thai style clinching at the highest levels.
LOOOL

Why not poach someone like Sangmanee when he was 16 and had aspirations to be a boxer versus muay thai legends with tons of mileage already. You can easily pay their living expenses, and they can double as coaches like their current crop of trainers.
I ask myself this question all the time. Doesn't make sense to have all these retired 30 something Thai's starting MMA with the thousands of young prime Thai's out there.

Don't worry guys found out he's going to Vietnam not Singapore probably to train at Saigon sports center. I have a feeling over the next few years we will see quite a few Thai's head over to ONE Championship based off seeing other Thai's. I've said this before. Just like Buakaw in K1. Once a Thai sees other Thai's in MMA others will follow. Evolve and ONE Championship is building that interest.
How popular is Evolve and the ONE championship as trying to get my head around all the different organisations in MMA and Kickboxing ?.

How popular is Evolve and the ONE championship as trying to get my head around all the different organisations in MMA and Kickboxing ?.
Not sure. Don't really follow MMA apart from the occasional UFC fight.

One FC is a regional promotion. They mostly do shows in South East Asia.

They claim to be the biggest org in Asia but really they are a South East Asian promotion since they stopped throwing money to get big MMA name. Division is really thin and top-heavy and fighters barely get 2 fights a year unless they are with Evolve MMA.

Back