Former Lumpinee & Rajadamnern Champ makes MMA debut March 11th

hahahahahahaha

the commentator says at the end: all the years of training in kickboxing bla bla bla

so fucking awesome.

Well congrats to him. Still need to watch the fight.

I was impressed by Sagetdao's performance. I suspect that the success he had in that fight was due to crosstraining in some of the that western wrestling, seeing as how thai's never use underhooks in the clinch and whatnot.

I never said that they never use underhooks. You quoted me so it's right there.

Damn this subforum is weird. Not sure why some of you feel the need to go on such a crusade.

I only said that the emphasis in the thai clinch isn't the same, you autistic fool.

Please stop quoting me if it's to post some stupid shit like that.

Strong clinchers with good balance will always have good take down defense. It may take a little while to learn the basics but a lot of it will come naturally to them based off all the hours everyday Thai's would spend clinching throughout their muaythai careers. It is different to wrestling but similar.

Some great options for MMA at these 3 weight classes.

155 Yodwicha
145 Rittewada
135 Superlek and Pet-U-Tong

There's many more great options but these 4 interest me quite a bit and recently Pet-U-Tong especially. Not sure how old he is but he seems to fight well on the back foot and does well against walk forward clinchers. I wonder how hard it would be for a decent walk forward wrestler to take him down whilst Pet stays on the back foot looking for a shot like this @1:00:

I don't see any prime top level thais going into mma in the near future. Generally it's thais that got a teaching gig at an mma gym that have a go at it.

Anyone who speaks Thai can you read this post for me please. I google translated it but cant make out what he's saying. I heard a little while ago Jakkit and his son JanJao might be moving to Singapore for MMA which if true will suck for Sittichai since Jakkit is his main trainer or it might just be his son JanJao. Not sure.

Don't worry guys found out he's going to Vietnam not Singapore probably to train at Saigon sports center. I have a feeling over the next few years we will see quite a few Thai's head over to ONE Championship based off seeing other Thai's. I've said this before. Just like Buakaw in K1. Once a Thai sees other Thai's in MMA others will follow. Evolve and ONE Championship is building that interest.

He was in the top level of MT. But his performance has dropped along with the time.

One is smart to bring him in. But it's more interested to see how he will fight with the real opponents.

His first match was just to give his nice start in his home country. That guy is still mismatch with him.

He is 30 years old and still has some years to go.

I have a feeling over the next few years we will see quite a few Thai's head over to ONE Championship based off seeing other Thai's. I've said this before. Just like Buakaw in K1. Once a Thai sees other Thai's in MMA others will follow.

That isn't how it works. It wasn't like other Thais saw what Buakaw was doing and followed him into kickboxing. First of all, there were already Thais who had gotten kickboxing opportunities before or simultaneous to Buakaw winning the K1 World MAX. Second, even after Buakaw won the K1 World MAX in 2004 there wasn't, as far as I can tell, any discernible spike in the number of Thais who were doing kickboxing. It's only within the last 3 years or so that the number of Thais competing in kickboxing has increased. And lastly to characterise this trend as "one Thai sees other Thai do kickboxing so they do kickboxing too" is incorrect. Just about every Thai out there would have loved to have had the opportunity to do kickboxing, even before Buakaw blew up. Kickboxing isn't an open community that anyone can be part of, at least that isn't how the big promotions in Europe and Japan work, they're good ol boys clubs. You can't just contact a big kickboxing promotion about getting an opportunity to fight on their cards, even if you had the necessary credentials for it, and expect to be listened to. Most thai fighters wouldn't know how to get into contact with a kickboxing promotion in the first place. You need someone, presumably your manager, to facilitate these sorts of opportunities for you and in order for that to happen the person would probably have to have some sort of existing relationship with that kickboxing promotion. If you look at the Thais that did get opportunities in kickboxing it was ones that were well connected: Fuji Chalmsak was a trainer in Japan and was connected to the Ihara gym, Panjonsuk was a affiliated with Superprosamui, Sudsakorn got a bunch of kickboxing opportunities in Italy because he lived there for a while and has an Italian manager, Kaew Fairtex has the connection to Weerasakreck. As I already said, every thai would love to do kickboxing but either they don't have the necessary political connections or the kickboxing promoters don't want to go out of their way to seek Thai's out to give them that opportunity.

People attribute far more intelligence to matchmaking and decision making about rosters than is deserved. I believe that alot of the reasons behind why one fighter is on a card or on one promotion and not another is totally arbitrary.

Yeah I really can't see a top tier thai just leaving their gym and starting an mma career, it's too much of a career risk. The only decent paying promotion that will take a 0-0 thai is One FC and that's generally for guys that train at evolve mma. Like I said if we see thais in mma it will be a jo nattuwat or tum sityodtong type guy not a panpayak.

Why are more Thais getting opportunities in kickboxing in the last 3 years?

Why are more Thais getting opportunities in kickboxing in the last 3 years?
Because Kickboxing was completely dominated by K-1 in the past and they essentially had a 1 Thai policy (Buakaw)...

Yeah I really can't see a top tier thai just leaving their gym and starting an mma career, it's too much of a career risk. The only decent paying promotion that will take a 0-0 thai is One FC and that's generally for guys that train at evolve mma. Like I said if we see thais in mma it will be a jo nattuwat or tum sityodtong type guy not a panpayak.
Yeah, I mean do any of us know the finer points of the clauses in these guy's contracts, that might affect this issue. And where would they train? Would they have to leave Thailand to pursue an MMA career? And how would they support themselves, if they don't do muay thai? Basic economic questions.

With kickboxing it's different, they don't have to really change their situation at all. They can still live in the same place and train at the same gym and it's good for the gym owners since they stand to benefit from the fighter making more money.

Back