Formal Intro & Question on Best Self Defense

BurntBrownie

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to not only this forum, but anything forum/blog posting in general. I'd actually joined another MMA or martial arts forum as part of a school-related multimedia assignment, but I think I might like it here better because it seems to be bigger and more active? Oh and because it has training blogs, which seems like a really awesome thing to have. But I was also hesitant because this forum seems more hardcore.

Okay, now that's out of the way... I've been wanting to get into MMA for a while now. It's honestly the most kickass, badass thing I can see myself doing. But I've had trouble finding a reliable training gym nearby partly because I don't really know what I want. I can't decide which style of fighting I want to focus on, so that's why I wanna ask all the pros and experts here:

Should I choose to study kickboxing, jiu-jitsu, or another fighting style if I want to get really good in MMA? Or better yet, what's the all-around most effective fighting style?

Thanks all, And look forward to reading what you have to say

Last edited:
Trying to work out if this is a troll attempt or not...

Fuck it, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

The answer is simple; go to an MMA gym.

If that's not an option, start with BJJ, kickboxing and wrestling at separate gyms.

If you love it, then find a proper MMA gym, as soon as you can.

If you start with MMA gym,you will get decent at everything but not good at those things. I recommend picking one art,either is that Muay Thai/Kickbox/Boxing,Wrestling or BJJ.

Otherwise imo,there is no bigger threat than someone that is good at takedowns and ground game.

Back