Form issues with overhead squats

Borb

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm having trouble doing overhead squats, particularly keeping my heels on the ground. I squat barefoot if that makes a difference. After I hit that parallel line with my hamstring, my heels just want to raise up, I've gotten them to stay down a few times, but it seems borderline impossible.

Try putting your heels on top of 2.5 or 5 lb plates.

Could it be that the bar is literally over your head, rather than over your centre of gravity (around midfoot) ?

Could it be that the bar is literally over your head, rather than over your centre of gravity (around midfoot) ?

this was my problem - i had to work hard to get the shoulders flexible enough, but once that happned my OHsquats took off

That may be it, I'll remember that next time I OHS. Thanks.

@Klotz, I'll try that as well, I have a few 5lbs sitting around.

Not to sound like a jerk, but you should also try searching. There are several good threads about overhead squat problems. I've started at least one myself.

I've heard curling your toes under suggested as a way to encourage one to keep the weight on one's heels. The tip was for deadlifts, though.

yeah, please don't curl your toes under your feet while deadlifting or overhead squatting. if you do, take a video

That may be it, I'll remember that next time I OHS. Thanks.

@Klotz, I'll try that as well, I have a few 5lbs sitting around.

You'll need pretty damn good shoulder flexibility. Try broomstick dislocations.

I\'m having trouble doing overhead squats, particularly keeping my heels on the ground. I squat barefoot if that makes a difference. After I hit that parallel line with my hamstring, my heels just want to raise up, I\'ve gotten them to stay down a few times, but it seems borderline impossible.

First question is whether this is OHS specific problem. Does the same happen when you do regular squats?

You\'ll need pretty damn good shoulder flexibility.

Yep, ideally one should be able to do this:

mobility.jpg

(I think I can)

In the picture he's using lifting shoes, which means that the amount of flexibility needed is somewhat reduced. If your doing overhead squats without lifting shoes your going to need even more flexibility.

In the picture he\'s using lifting shoes, which means that the amount of flexibility needed is somewhat reduced. If your doing overhead squats without lifting shoes your going to need even more flexibility.

I was referring to shoulder flexibility. The amount of ankle flexibility required for OHS and back squat is the same

I was referring to shoulder flexibility. The amount of ankle flexibility required for OHS and back squat is the same

I was also refering to shoulder flexibility. Lifting shoes allowing you to remain more upright while squatting, which means your arms don't have to be as far back.

Oly shoes also mean there is less requirement of quad and hamstring flexibility.

Along with all of the suggestions here, I strongly encouraging doing about 3 sets of light overhead squats on all lifting days if you want to work on correcting the problem. It's a great warmup exercise and the consistency will really help you get comfortable with the lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back