Forgotten Boxer: Jackie Wilson

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Anyone heard of this guy??? I came across him today.

He has wins over
Kid Azteca
Ceferino Garcia
Herbert "Cocoa Kid" Hardwick
Baby Arizmendi
Fritizie Zivic
Tommy Bell
Young Peter Jackson

He Lost to SRR by Majority Decision in the first fight and got stopped in the 2nd.

Still though it seems like this guy was pretty solid.

300px-Wilson.Jackie2.jpg

From this post alone a dozen guys will find a reason to put him above Floyd and Pac in the all time rankings.

Wilson fought Tommy Paul double. Wilson won each times in Pennsylvania by call within the 1st fight and by technical knockout within the second fight. He fought Sammy Angott and won by call in Pennsylvania. He conjointly fought Freddie Miller two occasions. the primary fight Wilson won by call in Motor sq. Garden. The second fight he won by callin city. He fought Speedy Dado in Calif. and won by call. He fought Sammy Angott in urban center, Wisconsin and lost by call...

heard of him, fought ray robinson, don't know much about him but him having the name of a legendary R&B singer who was also a boxer makes him hard to forget. He fought speedy dado? I read an article years ago, as in over 30, in the local paper here in seattle, they said Dado was brain damaged and wandering around seattle in a daze, I don't have the story that well remembered, it's been a long time but that article sure registered with me as a young guy wanting to get into the sport.

just checked, ray fought a different jackie wilson, thought the weight difference was too much.

another overlooked boxer is Marlon Starling:

oh yea, solid, solid fighter, had a couple bad breaks, lost a close decision to don curry, lost the rematch badly but a solid smart fighter. I always thought that Ray leonard would have had his hands full keeping the title at welter with these guys, milt mccrory, don curry, starling, nino larocca, lloyd honeyghan, all on a good night would have given him problems.

oh yea, solid, solid fighter, had a couple bad breaks, lost a close decision to don curry, lost the rematch badly but a solid smart fighter. I always thought that Ray leonard would have had his hands full keeping the title at welter with these guys, milt mccrory, don curry, starling, nino larocca, lloyd honeyghan, all on a good night would have given him problems.

Ray really didn't stay long at WW ... as good as he was, and he was really good, I think he's generally overrated.

Ray really didn't stay long at WW ... as good as he was, and he was really good, I think he's generally overrated.
he might be, i think duran and hearns are his big wins, I always wondered 'what if" if he'd kept fighting like most of the other great champs. any of the champs will tell you that "none of them are easy" as hagler said of his middleweight defenses. Unless you're in a really weak division or an era like today, you're going to be fighting some hungry motherfuckers. I would have loved to see ray fight mccrory, curry, honeyghan and the rest. Like i said, in a title fight these guys are amped the fuck up, it's not like the losing fights they have after that. Honeyghan was a beast the night he beat curry, then he just seemed like he didn't even want to be there.

oh yea, that would have been a great fight. I always thought ray just thought he couldn't improve upon what he'd built up, didn't really want to fight hagler and decided to retire. No way he beats hagler in 82. I hate ray, but i gotta say dude was a great fighter, I don't think his defense was all that good, he had underrated power in both hands, great left hook, great overhand right and vicious with his combinations, one of the last great combo punchers. Pryor was a little small for him I think, I've heard the stories of the sparring matches but a fight and sparring are different. Still it would have been a great fight.

Back