"Forgetting" your child in a hot car?

I remember a story of a Dad that put his kid in a car seat and put the car seat on the roof of his car as he got his keys out, but forgot the baby. He ended up getting to the highway unaware of why so many people were honking at him. The baby and baby seat flew off the car, but, apparently divine intervention, it landed perfectly on the hood of the car behind it and that driver was able to slow to a stop and rescue the baby.

I was going to mention about people putting items on the roof of their vehicle while the get their keys or do something else. Dominoes Pizza had the commercial where the guys grandmother calls just as he's getting to his car with the carryout pizza.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wWtI/dominos-carryout-insurance-the-call

I've heard of people forgetting things in cars from groceries to fish bait to fish.

I love my kids more than I’ve ever loved anything. There’s nothing that I wouldn’t do to insure their safety. If you could honestly forget a child or even an animal in a hot car you shouldn’t be responsible for anything other than picking your nose and eating the boogers. People disgust me.

Articles about people who thought the way many in this thread do, It can't happen to me.

Hot Car Deaths: Scientists Detail Why Parents Forget Their Children
You'd Never Forget Your Child In The Car, Right? - Parents Magazine
I would never forget my child in a hot car… - - Half Heard in the Stillness
Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a ...

I don't personally know anyone who had left a child but I do know someone who forgot that his dog was in his car and the dog died.

Once had a guy at my place of work forget his kid in the car. I guess he wasn’t usually the one who dropped the baby off at daycare, and it was just an anomaly that he was doing it that day. Baby fell asleep in the back on a long drive and he just went about his day. Luckily was only like 60 degrees that day, and an observant co-worker spotted the baby. Felt bad for the guy and the baby.

My grandmother looked after me a lot and she’d forget I was in the house. She’d be going out the door and I’d come out and she’d be like OH MY GOSH I FORGOT U WERE HERE lololol

I was going to mention about people putting items on the roof of their vehicle while the get their keys or do something else. Dominoes Pizza had the commercial where the guys grandmother calls just as he's getting to his car with the carryout pizza.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wWtI/dominos-carryout-insurance-the-call

I've heard of people forgetting things in cars from groceries to fish bait to fish.

In college I left my laundry on my car. Lost it all on the highway during rush hour. Later that night I dislocated my knee and went to the emergency room....I think God may have been mad at me that day.

i'm paranoid with my border collie in the backseat, i can't imagine a goddamn kid!

I still can't believe this is a thing. My mom dragged me everywhere.

People don't buy those devices because they assume they will never forget their child. Having to put a child in the back seat because of the air bags has caused the biggest problem. Some daycare centers will call if a child hasn't been dropped off. Usually the same parent drops the child at daycare but sometimes a change in schedule has the other parent dropping the child off. Since they don't normally do it, they can forget. Even somebody that does it every day can forget and assume that they did.

GM has a system in vehicles that monitors when a back door has been opened and reminds the driver to check the back seat when the vehicle is shut off.
<KingstonFrown>

We are doomed.

Dogs too. What a horrible way to die.

Is it bad that I feel worse when people leave a dog in the car than when they leave a child? I mean, chances are with that parenting the kid was going to grow up to be a complete asshole anyway. Dogs are the innocent forever and don’t do things like cut me off on the freeway, or tank the economy by selling sub prime mortgage bonds as AAA rates bonds.

They should be alcohol/drug tested. And maybe a CT Scan for brain damage.

Since we are back to the summer months, there are PSA's everywhere about this.
images

How? I assume anyone who claims to have "forgot" their kid, was busted after running into the store "only for a second" and instead of admitting that goes, into the little kid "oh, I forgot" excuse. They have devices and everything to remind you a child is in there. I just don't understand how you can not remember that, unless you have a chemical imbalance or something effecting your mental state.

Something affecting your mental state? Like having children? Do you know how tired and exhausting they can be? My daughter had horrible reflux and cried 14 hours a day and woke up every hour during the night.

I love how people make blanket statements. This could NEVER happen to me. Guess what? Most everyone this happens to says the exact same shit.

Like people say, "How could someone confess to a crime they didn't commit?" Well, unless you have ever been put in that situation, with trained and experienced police officers waging mental warfare/torture on you, you can't say shit.

I watched a program about the car phenomenon. There is a psychological reason people do this and most of the time it has absolutely nothing to do with "being a bad parent" or "not caring enough." When you have a routine that you do often, your brain goes into autopilot mode. We ALL do it.

Unfortunately, if it has to do with kids and cars, it can result in tragedy. That's why we need something besides "I'll remember because my kids are so precious to me" to remind us the kids are there. The few instances where the parents were just dicks or actually killed the kids are rare, but they get the headlines in our messed up society that needs ratings.

Most of these parents are absolutely devastated. And most thought it could never happen to them, but it did. We're only human, after all.

Since we are back to the summer months, there are PSA's everywhere about this.
images

How? I assume anyone who claims to have "forgot" their kid, was busted after running into the store "only for a second" and instead of admitting that goes, into the little kid "oh, I forgot" excuse. They have devices and everything to remind you a child is in there. I just don't understand how you can not remember that, unless you have a chemical imbalance or something effecting your mental state.

Hopefully the democrats try to make cars illegal. They care about kids like so much.

I love how people make blanket statements. This could NEVER happen to me. Guess what? Most everyone this happens to says the exact same shit.
I can afford to say this. I don't have kids, I don't drive, and I don't plan on having kids or driving so unless by some miracle it does, it can't happen to me.

I'm one of those people with that special kind of retardedness that causes you to constantly forget shit.

If it wasn't for google calendar and sticky notes I doubt I could even function as an adult.

While forgetting I had a kid in my car seems like something I'd take extra care to avoid, I wouldn't want to say that I'm absolutely not capable of it.

Back