Forget BJJ...this stuff really works!!

They are going to all the BJJ and MMA gyms right out of business. Who will need it after they learn the ball flurry?

I have these tapes. They were put out by TRS about 1995 or so. The series was about how to disarm someone and was called "Unarmed and Fearless." These excerpts were from the extra material on self defense. I don't think the series was bad at all but the person who posted this took bits and pieces and put captions to them to make them humorous or make the presenters look bad. I believe both of these goals were accomplished. As for the men in the video, the guy with the moustache is Bob Taylor. He founded REKAT knife company and gave us such knives as the Hobbit and the Sifu. The bald guy in blue is Randy Wanner. He is truly skilled and comes across as a little psycho to me in the tapes. He was once Joo Bang Lee's top student in Hwa Rang Do but I believe they had a falling out and he was kicked out of the system. The other guy with the red belt and beard is Greg Walker of Fighting Knives fame. They used simunitions ammo to find out the best way to pass a gun barrel with a hand slap without getting shot. One way using a hand slap knocks the barrel to your face and the correct way does not most of the time.

Lawrence Regira

I have these tapes. They were put out by TRS about 1995 or so. The series was about how to disarm someone and was called "Unarmed and Fearless." These excerpts were from the extra material on self defense. I don't think the series was bad at all but the person who posted this took bits and pieces and put captions to them to make them humorous or make the presenters look bad. I believe both of these goals were accomplished. As for the men in the video, the guy with the moustache is Bob Taylor. He founded REKAT knife company and gave us such knives as the Hobbit and the Sifu. The bald guy in blue is Randy Wanner. He is truly skilled and comes across as a little psycho to me in the tapes. He was once Joo Bang Lee's top student in Hwa Rang Do but I believe they had a falling out and he was kicked out of the system. The other guy with the red belt and beard is Greg Walker of Fighting Knives fame. They used simunitions ammo to find out the best way to pass a gun barrel with a hand slap without getting shot. One way using a hand slap knocks the barrel to your face and the correct way does not most of the time.

Lawrence Regira

Well now I know who watches these things for more than comedic value. Now that I got that out of my system I would like to know if you believe all the tecniques in the video would work and are they an advisable course of action?

Well now I know who watches these things for more than comedic value. Now that I got that out of my system I would like to know if you believe all the tecniques in the video would work and are they an advisable course of action?

I do not know if the techniques would work. The main selling point of the videos was that these were techniques to be used unarmed against weapons. I felt at the time (1995) they were better than nothing and they did attempt to test it in as live a manner as possible. The hand gun and long gun disarms did seem plausible to me. I did not care for their knife defenses. I also felt that Bob Taylor would not perform the techniques the same way as they described before they demoed theproper way to do them. The supplemental parts of the videos involved dirty tricks such as throwing eyeglasses, spitting liquid into the attackers face, dropping coins on the floor, etc. to distract before launching an attack. There was also a cute torsion punch to the groin with the back of the fist. I believe it had to do with making a fist and pressing the fist under tension to your butt and at the proper moment let is slide off into the assailant's groin. Then launch into an attack. As I said before, this was a serious video that was turned humorous by the excerpeted clips.

Lawrence

Thats a good response to a lame question thanks. I would love to see simunition tests done in a realistic manner. Obviously a trained shooter will rarely if ever end up on the bad side of things but like you said it's better than nothing. If unarmed facing an armed and motivated opponent the "Lords prayer" is as good a defence as any.

if you guys like the techniques of that video you should check out kino moothai. lol.

There was also a cute torsion punch to the groin with the back of the fist. I believe it had to do with making a fist and pressing the fist under tension to your butt and at the proper moment let is slide off into the assailant's groin.

Oh man, one time this girl I was dating was giving me the CUTEST torsion punch with the back of her fist. She was TP'ing me like an animal, and I was like "Yeah, press that fist into your butt and then let it slide off onto my groin. Oh yeah, I'm assailing you! Oh make sure that fist is under tension!"

I should never have broken up with her.

Back