Forced to be a pressure fighter

Meh we are pretty lame. And the coach will not let us record. And perhaps the spar session will become pretty rough once the camera is playing. They even joke with me for posting gym selfies and bag work videos on my social media calling me poser and etc. So imagine what would be the reaction towards spar recording.

I have not figured it out for sure. Still lots to work on. I ve been just trying new stuff. Lots of problems with the slips. I hate inside slips, we practiced them today actually (slip in after a jab and return a jab, and slip in after a cross and a body uppercut) in partner drills and I do not slip very well even in partner drills.

Lol yea probably best not to record then. Perhaps @Sinister can give you some suggestions as he seems well experienced in the technical aspects of boxing both explaining it over the internet and with videos.

When I was learning to slip I'd spend all my time on the bags slipping after every single jab until I had the muscle memory and it became second nature (when I was home outside of the gym and noone else around). Stand in your fighting stance and don't worry about feet movement other than slipping- since that is what you want to work on.

Jab- slip
1-2- slip
Jab-slip

Each time you complete the combo, reset your position and make sure your body/hands/feet/hips are in the right place. This guy on youtube adheres to the fundamentals of boxing very strictly, and therefore I think is an excellent starting off point...he's not very exciting to watch/listen but 'basics' in anything rarely are...and he definitely knows his stuff IMO.

Good luck with your progress mate!

Lol yea probably best not to record then. Perhaps @Sinister can give you some suggestions as he seems well experienced in the technical aspects of boxing both explaining it over the internet and with videos.

When I was learning to slip I'd spend all my time on the bags slipping after every single jab until I had the muscle memory and it became second nature (when I was home outside of the gym and noone else around). Stand in your fighting stance and don't worry about feet movement other than slipping- since that is what you want to work on.

Jab- slip
1-2- slip
Jab-slip

Each time you complete the combo, reset your position and make sure your body/hands/feet/hips are in the right place. This guy on youtube adheres to the fundamentals of boxing very strictly, and therefore I think is an excellent starting off point...he's not very exciting to watch/listen but 'basics' in anything rarely are...and he definitely knows his stuff IMO.

Good luck with your progress mate!

Excellent video. I liked the explanation that it is a pro active defence. I was wondering why it is not good enough to wait and slip as it is not working for me at all when trying to do that - haha :)

Why I hate the inside slip and throwing my right cross - I am afraid of getting met with a shot. I guess I have eaten some pretty powerful shots when doing it. I need to work on the mechanics of the cross and the inside slip.

In fact I have two new boxing goals - making the slips a second nature and getting more combos and flow - I have noticed I relly too much on single shots. I for example would land a left hook and I will look pretty satisfied with it, while I can pretty much keep on punching. This is where my SP friend beats me - he has flow. He would land something and then grind on it. While I would land 1-1-2 on his head and instead of keepin on I am pretty satisfied with it. Or I would land a cross or a hook and isntead of doing hook-cross combo and even more punches, I d stop on the hook. Or instead of doing a cross - hook combo and even adding more punches I d be pretty satisfied with the cross. Just need to let my hands and body work and get into the habit of them working (hands, feet and body) instead of being satisfied with single punches and static work.

Excellent video. I liked the explanation that it is a pro active defence. I was wondering why it is not good enough to wait and slip as it is not working for me at all when trying to do that - haha :)

Why I hate the inside slip and throwing my right cross - I am afraid of getting met with a shot. I guess I have eaten some pretty powerful shots when doing it. I need to work on the mechanics of the cross and the inside slip.

In fact I have two new boxing goals - making the slips a second nature and getting more combos and flow - I have noticed I relly too much on single shots. I for example would land a left hook and I will look pretty satisfied with it, while I can pretty much keep on punching. This is where my SP friend beats me - he has flow. He would land something and then grind on it. While I would land 1-1-2 on his head and instead of keepin on I am pretty satisfied with it. Or I would land a cross or a hook and isntead of doing hook-cross combo and even more punches, I d stop on the hook. Or instead of doing a cross - hook combo and even adding more punches I d be pretty satisfied with the cross. Just need to let my hands and body work and get into the habit of them working (hands, feet and body) instead of being satisfied with single punches and static work.

Sparring too hard before knowing these things can make you trigger shy understandably. Maybe chat to sparring partner or coach before and ask if you can do a slow round where you're only allowed to slip and their only punch is a jab.

And yea being 'ready' by moving your head/shoulders while moving around an opponent will help you with the momentum you need to avoid a punch...it's actually hard to land a punch on someone with good head movement even without them throwing back

Fuck I just found this video and I think it will work great for both against the tall opponents and my orthodox friend. We practice a side step looking the same way, but instead of looking like a slip and going forward it looks like a movement to the side. But I really really liked this one here:

Lots of success today against the taller guys. I used more sided stance with dipping towards my right and throwing the over hand a lot with slips outside of their jab. I landed some left hooks after dipping under their attacks. And in general they had to show lots of respect if they were trying to attack me. Lots of body jabs landed. One of them tried to counter me with left body hooks but that make him eat tons of jabs :D

We had a great fight with my SP friend today. He landed some nice uppercuts and hooks on the body against me (6-7), while I found him with few straight rights to the head and body and a nice left hook. Once landed a full 1-1-2 on his face while he was trying to back off after an attack and it felt great.

It sounds like you are starting to fight off your back foot more. I like fighting off the back foot for pressure/ taking distance and on the front foot for maintaining distance.

Strange. One of the reasons I use a double high guard is b/c taller guys rarely throw body shots. They have to drop their hand a lot to throw a body shot. You have to be more aggressive and just hit them when you see them drop their hand. This can be a "golden Gloves" problem. Meaning you might have to be willing to trade. Most pressure fighters were not that good as amateurs

Last edited:
Not sure I’m qualified as I have sparred a good bit, but am not fundamentally great.
I find when being shorter, that I have to counter. Hard thing is it takes a lot of courage and unflinching at punches. I’m not very good at this.

I am in good enough shape to throw a lot of feints, though. Now, these don’t work well on good boxers, but i can often get a reaction. This can lead to forcing a counter, as in, my feint can get an expected counter from him, which makes it easier for me to counter properly.

Not sure I’m qualified as I have sparred a good bit, but am not fundamentally great.
I find when being shorter, that I have to counter. Hard thing is it takes a lot of courage and unflinching at punches. I’m not very good at this.

I am in good enough shape to throw a lot of feints, though. Now, these don’t work well on good boxers, but i can often get a reaction. This can lead to forcing a counter, as in, my feint can get an expected counter from him, which makes it easier for me to counter properly.

I see your point. What I tried is to use my right hand to remove their guard following the.video posted here about Luis. It had good success and was like a faint to these guys as I was able.to land jabs or left hooks afterwards.

In order to pressure fight, I implement these three things (I'm southpaw but they will still work the other way round):

Feints of the jab high and low:
giphy.gif

A lead hook (body and head) to catch them trying to escape on the ropes

A rear straight to the chest

Why target the chest? Well to put it simply its comes up high enough that it looks like it's going to the face, which means they likely won't block it, and also it's a lot harder to avoid with movement. Everything else, do as you would normally do going forward, but work those three techniques as much as you can and you should see a good overall improvement.

Also, make sure you step off on an angle regularly against the ropes when they swing back, and immediately come back in to fight.

Last edited:
me too iv been boxing since i was 14 coaches always said i was tall so thought i had long arms which i dont lol at all i have a bad reach for my height i have very wide shoulders though which makes it look like i do but i have the arm length of most guys at 135...

id always come up shorts trying to stick and move vs good guys always noticed i couldnt quite get off what i wanted then realized my arms really arnt as long as i thought and now having to change my style is a bit weird but its best for me being a grappler too makes me tougher before id just try to jab a round move throw right hands at times i had good timing and footwork but i wasnt mentally tough when guys would get i on me i hated fighting on the inside something i have to work on and have to be in good shape as well

it really held me back as a boxer cause use to tell myself ill just wrestle if they get in on me but thats not the right way to think about things

Back