Forced to be a nomad because of my career

I am not concerned with the belt i am wearing but down the line it could become a concern when I open my own academy after I retire from the Marine Corps. I seriously doubt I would be taken seriously as an instructor wearing a worn out purple belt with 16 years training, you know what I mean?
I hear ya, sure. I just have known enough black belts who would be more than happy to give you the appropriate belt if you talked to them about it that I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

I honestly do enjoy seeing different styles and games, and my game speaks for itself so I don't worry about that.

What I do worry about is when I retire in ten years I want to be a black belt with a stripe or so because I want to open an academy post retirement, so i need that for credibility when I do go to open up

You will just to affiliate under an association that shares similar values. They will take care of the rest.

I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone it has been something I have been mulling over for a bit and there are very few people who I can talk to in the same situation

I was in the same boat (maybe literally) for years-I trained at lots of different schools at different commands when I was in the USMC...exercises and deployments always fuck it up too. Took me a long time for each promotion for some of the same reasons that you listed and I am not sure if I will ever make black. For now, compete as a blue and begin to establish that credibility because wherever you end up, the instructor will recognize W's and experience.

Back