For those who have watched Twin Peaks: The Return. . .

You tend to know my tastes pretty well, so you just destroyed whatever last vestige of hope I had.
I'm not going to "emperor-has-no-clothes" you on the series or its creator. Your comments on the first two episodes of the revival are exactly how I felt when I watched it.

You tend to know my tastes pretty well, so you just destroyed whatever last vestige of hope I had.

Yep. The fast forward button in my remote control was my best friend.

giphy.gif

as an aside, i actually find this kind of "aggressively defensive" post pretty frustrating.

i was seeing similar posts while the show was airing, and have been seeing this kind of response to the new movie mother! as well. this idea that anyone enjoying this content is a pretentious snob who's only tricking themselves or pretending they enjoyed it, and that any criticism will be met with "you just don't get it." maybe i'm missing it, but i rarely see that kind of dismissive response to criticism. that may just be a kind of confirmation bias, but at least in this thread nobody is saying "you just don't get it."

ultimately posts like this are essentially doing what they're warning against. putting words in others' mouths and dismissing them as dishonest and stubborn, and their opinions as disingenuous.
Yeah - fair call. Should have just said "It wasn't for me"

My venom for this series comes from serious letdown for what (I think) it could have been...

What about people like me who did not watch it? Is there a place in this thread for me?

What about people like me who did not watch it? Is there a place in this thread for me?

I don't think so, no.

There is a nice thread on the first page about your favorite childhood book that you could probably be of some use in, though.

I don't think so, no.

There is a nice thread on the first page about your favorite childhood book that you could probably be of some use in, though.
ah sounds good thanks I will check it out

It's more of a mix between Fire Walk with Me, Inland Empire, and some quirky elements of the classic series than the original series reborn. Certain segments or chunks or even entire episodes of the show feel one way, some feel another. I'm guessing you don't know who Dougie is having viewed only 2.5 episodes, but pretty much all the Dougie scenes have a certain feel to them that's season 2 quirky, scenes with evil/doppleganger Cooper all have a dark feel to them, everything with Sarah Palmer has a dark feel to it, the Gordon Cole/FBI segments are the most eclectic in feel (having the widest gamut) and closest to the original series in that respect (I'd say the same with the Twin Peaks police force scenes as well), etc.

Spolier alert, you also get to see scenes like this (not plot important, but just a great scene, don't watch if you want to view it int he context of the entire show).

You gotta see ep 8. You don't even need to see anything else before it either. It's like a stand alone 1 hour film (very loosely) based on the origins of the lodges/good/evil in the Twin Peaks world.

Jim Belushi talks about working with David Lynch for the first time, on this season:

“I had to adjust my rhythm, and it started out with a cup of coffee,” Belushi said. “I poured a cup of coffee and started my line and [Lynch] went, ‘No. Nooooo. The coffee is very important.’ I spent 20 seconds pouring and sipping on a cup of coffee before I even started the scene.”

No it never truly becomes Twin Peaks until the very end.

Most of it doesn't even take place in the town of Twin Peaks, and the parts that do take place in Twin Peaks go nowhere - just a chain of cameos of the old characters.

I remember loving the show overall as I watched it each week a few years ago. But each week - I kept thinking t-o myself...enough is enough, can we get the old Dale Cooper back already?

I should have known: the warnings signs were there in 2015:

-ShowTime and Lynch having "creative differences"
-Showtime wanted 9 episodes, Lynch insisted on 18. In addition, Lynch to direct EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE. Look as a formt Game of Thrones fanatic...I wouldn't even want Miguel Saponovich directing every single epsiode of a season, even if he did Battle of the Bastards, Light of the Seven, and Hardhome.
-Again...Lynch writing and directing evrery single episode is just too much Lynch for a series. The original Twin Peaks felt more like Lynch at the helm but with some collaboration - cowriters and other people directing episodes with Lynch directing key episodes like the pilot and finale.

Twin Peaks without Lynch would not be Twin Peaks at all.. But Twin Peaks with Lynch fully at the helm and no one to reign him in gives us a slow burn mixed bag of nihilism and weirdness.

It was nice to see Dale Cooper back to his old self in the last two episodes though...as brief as it was.

Back