For those that have moved countries

Hagelslag2

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is there a thing in your new country that you just don't get?

I moved to Australia from the Netherlands and I love most sports here. I think AFL and rugby, both league and union, are great. What I don't get is the obsession with cricket. I definitely think it's a cultural thing, like how Aussies wouldn't understand the Dutch obsession with speed skating. But man, a sport in which fuck all happens and where a match goes for days, ending in a draw? Nah, I'll pass.

I moved to America from Peru when I was 19...Im 41 now so more than half of my life Ive been living in the US... at this point there are more things from my original country that I dont get and criticize, when I travel there even though I feel very familiar with the environment I feel like a foreigner especially when I talk to people.

When people ask me which country I love more I always tell them I wouldnt know how to answer that question...its like asking who do you love more your mom or your dad? you just dont compare, you love both! when I make that analogy most people understand. Im very proud of the culture of my original country, its so rich and I always try to talk about the good things of my country but today as an individual, because of who I am and how I feel and think, I guess I feel more identified as an american. I could shed a tear when I listen to the national anthem of both countries and during the olympics for example I root for both countries.

Last edited:
Is there a thing in your new country that you just don't get?

I moved to Australia from the Netherlands and I love most sports here. I think AFL and rugby, both league and union, are great. What I don't get is the obsession with cricket. I definitely think it's a cultural thing, like how Aussies wouldn't understand the Dutch obsession with speed skating. But man, a sport in which fuck all happens and where a match goes for days, ending in a draw? Nah, I'll pass.

I like cricket because (in the full version) it probably has the most strategy and tactics of any sport.

That kind of stuff is interesting to me although I fully understand the complaints of its detractors.

TS maybe you would like Twenty20 cricket more? The matches just last maybe 90 minutes and players swing for the fences.

I like cricket because (in the full version) it probably has the most strategy and tactics of any sport.

That kind of stuff is interesting to me although I fully understand the complaints of its detractors.

TS maybe you would like Twenty20 cricket more? The matches just last maybe 90 minutes and players swing for the fences.
Yeah, others have suggested that before. I think that I'll probably warm to it over time. I basically live down the road from a stadium anyway, so I might catch a match some day soon.

Ps. Even though I don't like the sport, I have to admit that Don Bradman is still statistically the GOAT athlete.

I moved to Singapore when I was 19 and even though I've lived here for many years, I can't get my head around the wedding culture here.

Most people who get married will have a banquet dinner, in a restaurant or hotel ballroom.

In chinese culture, it's the custom to give gifts in the form of red envelopes with cash inside.

The difference is that in Singapore, you are expected to cover the cost of your attendance, and every year there are published lists and websites with all the hotels and the minimum $ you need to give for a weekday dinner, weekend dinner, weekend lunch etc etc at each venue. And you pay per person....so good luck if you bring your family.

It basically means that nobody has to lose money on a wedding, and no matter your financial situation, you can have as grand of a wedding as you like, as long as you fill all the tables.

At some weddings the couple have relatives opening all the envelopes while the guests are eating so they can pay the hotel on the spot. Weird.

I moved to Australia from the Netherlands and I love most sports here.

Funny, I moved to the Netherlands.

What didn't i get? Sinterklaas. What in the actual fuck?!?

Black Pete? Seriously.

Funny, I moved to the Netherlands.

What didn't i get? Sinterklaas. What in the actual fuck?!?

Black Pete? Seriously.
Well, Sinterklaas in and on itself isn't that weird. He's just a Germanic Santa. But yeah, Black Pete is not okay. I never thought about that when I was younger, being white and having grown up with it, but when I became part of a more international community and talked to others about it, it quickly became apparent to me how incredibly wrong that shit is.

Now, ever year when the whole debate breaks out again, I'm just really baffled by the fact that so many people want to defend a racist caricature so badly.

Well, Sinterklaas in and on itself isn't that weird. He's just a Germanic Santa. But yeah, Black Pete is not okay. I never thought about that when I was younger, being white and having grown up with it, but when I became part of a more international community and talked to others about it, it quickly became apparent to me how incredibly wrong that shit is.

Now, ever year when the whole debate breaks out again, I'm just really baffled by the fact that so many people want to defend a racist caricature so badly.

The part about there being a bunch of Sinterklaas helpers, and all being named black pete is just whack. And remind me, you're supposed to leave beer for Sinterklaas or Black Pete?

Black Pete is weird as hell but is it really demeaning to black people? I dont know.

There are plenty of blacks in the Netherlands, what's their view?

My wife is Indonesian, where black Pete is also a thing that exists.
Whenever I spend christmas with her extended family, my father in law is always black Pete, and gives candy to the younger kids etc...just because he has the darkest skin LOL.

I moved to Singapore when I was 19 and even though I've lived here for many years, I can't get my head around the wedding culture here.

Most people who get married will have a banquet dinner, in a restaurant or hotel ballroom.

In chinese culture, it's the custom to give gifts in the form of red envelopes with cash inside.

The difference is that in Singapore, you are expected to cover the cost of your attendance, and every year there are published lists and websites with all the hotels and the minimum $ you need to give for a weekday dinner, weekend dinner, weekend lunch etc etc at each venue. And you pay per person....so good luck if you bring your family.

It basically means that nobody has to lose money on a wedding, and no matter your financial situation, you can have as grand of a wedding as you like, as long as you fill all the tables.

At some weddings the couple have relatives opening all the envelopes while the guests are eating so they can pay the hotel on the spot. Weird.
I didn't got the memo when I attended my instructor's wedding. I was the only one with a gift. Everyone has an ang pao. Poor brazilian. Felt terrible for him when everyone started shouting "yum seng!".

The part about there being a bunch of Sinterklaas helpers, and all being named black pete is just whack. And remind me, you're supposed to leave beer for Sinterklaas or Black Pete?
Nah, you can put out anything you want. Children mostly leave carrots in their shoes for his horse.

Black Pete is weird as hell but is it really demeaning to black people? I dont know.

There are plenty of blacks in the Netherlands, what's their view?

My wife is Indonesian, where black Pete is also a thing that exists.
Whenever I spend christmas with her extended family, my father in law is always black Pete, and gives candy to the younger kids etc...just because he has the darkest skin LOL.
Well, he used to have gold earrings and talk with a supposedly Surinamese accent, which doesn't sit well with the large Surinamese population in the Netherlands. I'm white as, so I can't comment on black people's experiences, but there are quite a few of 'em that tell of them being called Black Pete in a derogatory way. Interestingly enough, people in our former colonies, like, indeed, Indonesia, seem to have less of a problem with the tradition than the people that immigrated.

Twenty20 could be popular in the US. That is if baseball doesn't try to keep it out.

Heck, if football didn't have an iron grip on the NCAA, Rugby would flourish in the US.

Twenty20 could be popular in the US. That is if baseball doesn't try to keep it out.

Heck, if football didn't have an iron grip on the NCAA, Rugby would flourish in the US.
The US is pretty good at 7s, aren't they?

Isn't it mostly a money thing though? If you're a big American dude, you can make so much more in the NFL than you'd ever make in union and the skills are pretty transferable.

Moved from Taiwan to Canada, what I don't get is people's attitude about alcohol.

Super tightly regulated especially in Ontario where outside of a few exceptions, all alcohol is sold by the government. Teens love to be underage drinkers, while in Taiwan it's abundant but people don't bother to try. Restaurant don't require special license as long as you are diligent about IDing young people. I sort of understand because of the remaining effect of prohibition and religion but it's already the 21st century.

Funny I could watch 5 days of Test match cricket but I find a game of baseball really boring.

I lived in the US for 3 years. I hated the fact that there were too many people everywhere. Homeless, drug affected or mentally impaired people everywhere. The awful smell. Not enough open spaces. Ordinary beaches. Sexy women though.

cricket is a cultural thing. aussies grow up playing backyard cricket. even if you never played cricket (i never did), you could still go to a game and have a good time. its less about the game and more about spending a day in summer drinking with your buddies.

if you want to enjoy sport, check out the 20 20s and 50s games rather than test matches.

How I wish I can move to another country, I'm fed up living in a dirty country.

Back