For those of you who use the Crazy Monkey defense...

i love the CM its very good for the beginner thats having trouble with getting hit and countering. i have the first series of DVD and the straight blast gym one with Forrest while back. basically its more useful for the people that don't have the attributes of speed and reflexes.

CM2 is great for working your way inside against someone with a bigger reach, and the rhythm you use makes it easy to flow into hooks and uppercuts too. We do drills were your partner is throwing non stop straight punches while you march him down using CM2 as he backs up. Do the length of the gym then switch.

All the CMD DVDs have been dropped in price to $50 dollars with free shipping.

Bargain, I spend that much at Starbucks in a week. :redface:

Beat me to it again Rev!! Oh, and Shelly would not be happy with that... I'll keep it to myself ;)

But like Rev said, yes you could spend

I tried CM at my training session and i find it alot easier to get close but i get hooked more often because my vision to the sides is limited because of the high position of my arms but maybe im doing it wrong? And also i notice my shoulder gets tired quickly.
In a streetfight CM would be the way to go 100% especially considering ur enemy can break his fist at ur elbowpoint :icon_chee

The CMD website has gone under some redevelopment, and has a new 'CM Fan' section. This replaced our old 'free forum' but now you get to view the ENTIRE DVD of Championship Series vol. 1, as well as the first chapter of every DVD Rodney has released.

So you want to know what Rodney's stuff is like, I really couldn't recommend a better way of finding out. Any questions on CM can also be answered on the free forum (I moderate it), or just fire away here.

So if you think your doing something wrong, this would be the place to go and find out. It free, so you've got nothing to lose... only training time where you could have been doing it right

its just a name put on a commonly used style by a guy looking to make a few bucks.

Please show me the system as a whole used before 1998 when Rodney King started coaching it.

Soon you'll say that because it envolves punching that we are trying to remarket boxing. Let me think of the styles that strike... mmmm.

Rodney and the rest of the coaches are quiet happy to say that CM draws heavily from Boxing and old school Muay Thai. But as a system, it has only existed since 1998-99. It's soo much more than hand defence which appears in Muay Boran and Boxing. But hey, what do I know, I've only trained and coached it for 4 years.

I'm not sure if Rodney King is the best guy to teach you how to not get hit.

On a more serious note, this is pretty interesting stuff, definitely seems applicable to any ones game.

He turns them over so well and it's allowed him to make Rampage and Chuck look bad.

Does anybody else find that it still hurts to get hit in the head even when covering up with crazy monkey? Like, your brain still wobbles anyway?

Does anybody else find that it still hurts to get hit in the head even when covering up with crazy monkey? Like, your brain still wobbles anyway?
No matter what blocking style or defense you are going to get hit and it its going to hurt. Thats what happens when you fight. However, if you use CMD correctly, you are deflecting the shot so that the impact doesn't go all the way through.

Honesely tho, I train under a certified CMD instructor, and I find myself only really using it in situations when my partner is swarming me with strikes. I'm more of a counter fighter and it doesn't really suit my offense, but it is something that is nice to fall back on. Its not this perfect system that they sell it to be tho.

Depends on a few things.

1. If you partner can get off those really concusive hits, you know the type of guy that has lead hands. It's like newton's balls. Your still going to get rocked sometimes as the energy can pass through the sheilf.

2. If your neck is not set. Are you pulling your traps up and setting your neck, otherwise it's like whiplash.

3. Whats your stucture like from the neck down (if it's set), this will help you to stay stable, in balance, and in a position to counter when your hit.

Finally, nothing is infalable, but this is the closest thing I've found to it. I find complete newbies are able to gain confidence in their defense quicker than anything else and from here they develp their game.

For the advance athlete, a strong foundation is something to fall back on when the s#*t hits the fan and you need to survive. With the new comers, I may not be using the hand defence, but my structure is set, and the way I strike is out of the hunchback stance. Slipping, bobbing and weaving comes after you've built a strong defencive structure and your CM hand defense. CM phase 2 actually combines the two.

Again, CM is a system and a way of progressing your game from a defensive structure to keep you in game, keep you confident in your ability, and most importantly, to keep you safe. From there you build you CM offensive game.

Its really good for guys who throw wide and wild. I have used it only once in live sparring, and it didnt work for me because my opponent was pretty tight in his striking, but if done properly, against the right guy it could be pretty devistating and look real good too :D

Its really good for guys who throw wide and wild. I have used it only once in live sparring, and it didnt work for me because my opponent was pretty tight in his striking, but if done properly, against the right guy it could be pretty devistating and look real good too :D
I really don't get when people say this. I have better luck using CM when it's against tight strikes. When people are throwing wide and wild I slip and counter...

Krellik
When I turn my body slightly into the punch it is almost ike if I was going to throw a punch not as much of a turn but enough that if I want to throw over the top of his punch or as his fist is going back I can one. The reason I do this is that it makes it easier to block the second punch because my body is already in motion. Also I like to do this to setup counter shots and to move forward. Also it helps with absorbing the impact of the punch and can help with stepping out to the side.
Only disadvantage is that it makes retreat a little harder and your body in is in forward motion.
I hope that makes sense

that is how i do it, turn into the punch to take some of the sting off of it and to effectively put my punch in the chamber ready to be fired as he retracts his; i.e. im throwing my punch as he retracts his, effectively finding a hole in his defense and diffusing his offense because of the motion of my counter.

great when your on the ropes. but i find that it leaves you open to hooks especially body shots

arhhh..CM as a user myself I find it very good to block most punches. You are perpetually shelling your body up. I even had my sparring partner punching me at full force and the impact was quite negligible for me.

personally I feel that there are several drawbacks to CM. First is your vision for anything below your waist is severely affected e.g. kicks, body shots, weird angles.

Hence, I feel that this method of defense works best when you are up close and personal with your opponent. being so close leaves with little time to react/slip/bob/weave/parry and this is where CM shines because you are almost always covered. 2ndly being up close implies that kicks have little impact and would be unnatural to be thrown.

Therefore what I do is, at a distance, use a relax open guard to be able to see and anticipate any strikes. At close distance, CM all the way

Nope not me...its like I'm shelled up in a 5 star hotel man. the punches just slip off your forearm, leaving you in a sweet spot for a nice counter

Back