For those of you who use the Crazy Monkey defense...

Phil, any rodney king DVD that explain kicks from CM strategy in details?

Indeed...was just watching it (again, for like the 4th time...great stuff) the other day. He covered kicking pretty well in his above post...with CM, you basically kick under 3 cirumstances:

1) The opponent is moving backwards...as he won't counter attack as easily.
2) The opponent is distracted (meaning, set up your kicks with your punches) and
3) The opponent is fatigued and won't react as well.

He also covered what Revolution said above, that the step on the round kick is heavily emphasized and the round kick is thrown my like the way the Dutch throw round kicks...upwards, at a 45 degree angle, without really turning the hip too far over. It lends itself better keeping the hips square and quickly recovering your CM structure...

Also, is there anyway to set up and land an uppercut against a practitioner of crazy monkey. I've personally have never been hit with an uppercut while using it.

Hey SR

The uppercut becomes a real target of opportunity against CM, if you spar for long enough then eventually an opening crops up. I tend to work uppercuts from really close in where I can bump or drive people off balance. If they're off balance, they often open their guard away from their bodies to catch the balance.

There's the uppercut chance. But it's not that easy. :)

Hey SR

The uppercut becomes a real target of opportunity against CM, if you spar for long enough then eventually an opening crops up. I tend to work uppercuts from really close in where I can bump or drive people off balance. If they're off balance, they often open their guard away from their bodies to catch the balance.

True dat, shoulder checks are fun. :icon_twis

Indeed...was just watching it (again, for like the 4th time...great stuff) the other day. He covered kicking pretty well in his above post...with CM, you basically kick under 3 cirumstances:

1) The opponent is moving backwards...as he won't counter attack as easily.
2) The opponent is distracted (meaning, set up your kicks with your punches) and
3) The opponent is fatigued and won't react as well.

He also covered what Revolution said above, that the step on the round kick is heavily emphasized and the round kick is thrown my like the way the Dutch throw round kicks...upwards, at a 45 degree angle, without really turning the hip too far over. It lends itself better keeping the hips square and quickly recovering your CM structure...

Nice.

I also watched Quantum CM and found the part where he talks about Apidej but sadly no demo.

Hey SR

Rev,

You tend to be able to stick a strike through any gap in the guard. I'm always amazed at how you can stick that cheeky uppercut in.... especially in clinch.

Awesome explinations and answering of the q's big man.

Cheers

to wanaka and some of the other seasoend vets on this board-

my reaction time isnt up to par and im trying to work on that at my gym. what would you recommend for us slower guys employing defense during flurries?

If someone's flurrying you, and moving straight forward (they usually are), just circle out away from their power hand and keep those hands up.

hmm... ive never heard of crazy monkey style until now (aside from monkey kung-fu like in bloodsport) but i am actually a huge fan of it. idk if its just b/c ive seen it in mma without realizing what it was called or by natural instinct, i use it a ton when boxing bigger, more agressive people that think they can knock me out. like every defense there are openings though so just make sure not to use it too much against a smart fighter or you'll get it good!

What would be the best CM defence DVD to purchase first for me to get the core basics down? (stance positioning blocking style form).

My striking is based on CM and peek-a-boo. Works well for now

Seems the exchange rate has worked against us now. It used to be alot cheaper. Contact Rodney via the website about the exchange rate. He may change it, he may not. He has to advertise in ZAR due to the laws in South Africa and also in the end he can't control the world currency exchange rates.

Otherwise one of the Licensed trainiers in the US may have a stock they are willing to sell you. I did have a small stock here on the Isle of Man in the UK, but I've sold all of them on now.

Finally, Rodney is heading over in June a trainers clinic and some seminars. He sometimes brings over a load of DVD's and you maybe able to get a copy. Contact him via the main website and see.

everytime i use crazy monkey defense i get scolded by my teacher because i should rather move out of the range instead of actively blocking! =(

I'd rather block,duck or slip a punch and stay in range so I can counter than move out of range and not be able to land my own shot in return.

It's all about making them pay for missing and if you are out of range you missed your chance to do so.

What style of striking are you being taught? (boxing,MT, Karate,etc,)

its the peak a boo defence used by alot of boxers past and presant. i use it a bit mostly in the early rounds of sparring when the punches are faster then in later rounds were i will use more slipping and bob n weaving. its pretty good against combos when you dont really know what punches he's throwing but not so good against flurrys were i prefer to use a cross block or wedge cover to cover and smother. you need to counter as soon as he finishes his combo or you'll get smothered in strikes.

its the peak a boo defence used by alot of boxers past and presant. i use it a bit mostly in the early rounds of sparring when the punches are faster then in later rounds were i will use more slipping and bob n weaving. its pretty good against combos when you dont really know what punches he's throwing but not so good against flurrys were i prefer to use a cross block or wedge cover to cover and smother. you need to counter as soon as he finishes his combo or you'll get smothered in strikes.

mind breaking down the cross block and wedge cover for me? I'm unfamilar with the terms.

my reaction time isnt up to par and im trying to work on that at my gym. what would you recommend for us slower guys employing defense during flurries?

Don't be reactive, be pro-active. I have a bunch of people faster than me in my place (now i'm staring down the barrel of 35 years old) and the way I got around this was to stop trying to react to each individual punch.

If i'm working the CM guard against a flurry I just keep the motion going whenever I'm in danger

Crazy monkey defense = getting hit with body shots.

This is an enduring myth about CM (often from people who seem to want to disprove that it works). For me, defending my head is most important. I can take a body shot and maybe still keep ticking but I don't want to risk getting hit hard in the head.

Dropping my arms lower to defend the body leaves my head open. If I can only defend one at a time I'll choose the head every time. But I find that I very rarely have to make that choice. There are enough cues to a solid bodyshot coming in that I can pick them up.

Here's a link to a post on dealing with the body shot in CM.

For me, the CM method of defence gives me the best chance of not getting hit. I've trained karate, kickboxing, boxing and Muay Thai and in all of them I got hit

Back