For those of you who use the Crazy Monkey defense...

deadlyshaolin

euphoria
Reaction score
I know of the Crazy Monkey defense and have seen it used (e.g. by Rampage), but nobody uses it at my school. I just wanted to ask those of you that use it and feel comfortable with it how often you employ it, compared to slipping/weaving/other parrying and how much it factors into your defense.

...Its a good system. Whery good for mma. Goes pretty quickly to turn it into a pretty solid wall of defense and it has surprisingly good offensive aplications to. Good shit.

crazymonkeydefensebyrampagejac.gif

i use it A LOT...the thing is, he suggests against using attribute based boxing but i still do that too, i use the crazy monkey if i realise they are a major combo fighter, but if they just throw lots of singles then i just parry...if you're looking for cold hard numbers, i use it probably 60% of the time...but the people i sparr with are pretty passive, so i would likely use it more if i were fighting more agressive people

slipping & counterpunching > slipping > crazy monkey > parry > getting hit. i mostly use it if i cant slip. why limit yourself to a single defensive system? too much crazy monkey = teh body shot. too much head movement = teh body shot. that said , crazy monkey is still the first thing beginners should learn because its just so effective so quickly.

killer_kicks88 said:
, i use the crazy monkey if i realise they are a major combo fighter, but if they just throw lots of singles then i just parry...if you're looking for cold hard numbers, i use it probably 60% of the time...but the people i sparr with are pretty passive, so i would likely use it more if i were fighting more agressive people

interesting

can someone help me navigate his fucking site? It's so shitty all i can find are testimonials it looks like a fucking penis enlargement popup ad

It looks like you could just throw a couple of head shots to get them to cover up, and finish every combo with a monster leg kick.

hockeyfacekilla said:
works best for hooks, i love it the only thing is it's hard to find a leg kick comin

agreed, but you can still tell pretty well by the way they move their body even if you can't see the leg

killer_kicks88 said:
agreed, but you can still tell pretty well by the way they move their body even if you can't see the leg

yup, you cant look at his legs while ur sparring or you will get punched!

everytime i use crazy monkey defense i get scolded by my teacher because i should rather move out of the range instead of actively blocking! =(

I'm not much of a boxer, so its really helpful for my stand up, but only if I counter right away. If you're using vale tudo gloves most straight punches just slip right off the elbow. I keep the left elbow out more to invite a cross, then I bring the elbow in a bit as he throws it. The punch slips off real nicely and puts you in the same position as if you had done a regular slip to the outside. Then its overhand right, liver shot, cross.

also, you can't be leaning forward and block a leg kick. When you "crazy monkey" you lean forward putting all that weight in the front.

eLbo85 said:
everytime i use crazy monkey defense i get scolded by my teacher because i should rather move out of the range instead of actively blocking! =(

what? thats straight bullshit. even boxers stay in range to counter.

Back