For the sake of the welterweight division,

And even after all that, Woodley shut him down with one punch.

Your question was answered though. Why was Lawler respected...The points are there.

Bringing up the result of one fight, I could easily bring up the war between Rory and Lawler that Lawler won in contrast to the "deer in the headlights" buffoonery of Woodley vs Rory.

You do realize that GSP has made a career out of beating orthodox/powerful wrestlers right? Kos in his prime could cover more distance with his double and he still got shellshocked. Woodley is and always will be, a bigger/slower/more powerful/more accurate Koscheck.

Georges will drill a hole in his head with the jab. The only time Georges has looked like complete ass was against Hendricks, who was a pre-USADA darling...Who happened to have all the tools to make the fight more difficult for GSP's style.

1-Was a southpaw
2-A southpaw who could hand fight GSP's jab.
3-Decorated/strong wrestler
4-Massive power
5-Because of the previous 4 points he took away half of GSP's takedown success by nullifying that piston jab of his.

Woodley has nothing new to bring to the table that GSP hasn't already seen or experienced...If anything it's more of the same old shit.
Woodley is not just a powerful wrestler boxer. He's a very accurate counter striker, one clean shot is all he needs and he's very fast. Decorated/strong wrestler? Just like Woodley, i don't see GSP taking Woodley down AT ALL. GSP was gassed against Bisping in the end of the second round, imagine trying to jab Woodley for 5 rounds, lol. He'd be slow and very open to hard shots by the last 3 imo.
Woodley is much better than Kos. Kos barely kicked, Woodley throws violent bombs. It would be a big problem to GSP footwork too.

Woodley tried to make that fight numerous times.

GSP knew better.

Moving on.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I see that fight going very similar to GSP vs. Alves.

Tyron doesn't seem to bring anything at all that GSP hasn't dealt with and defeated. I see absolutely no way Tyron wins that fight, 4 years off or not.

Woodley is not just a powerful wrestler boxer. He's a very accurate counter striker, one clean shot is all he needs and he's very fast. Decorated/strong wrestler? Just like Woodley, i don't see GSP taking Woodley down AT ALL. GSP was gassed against Bisping in the end of the second round, imagine trying to jab Woodley for 5 rounds, lol. He'd be slow and very open to hard shots by the last 3 imo.
Woodley is much better than Kos. Kos barely kicked, Woodley throws violent bombs. It would be a big problem to GSP footwork too.

GSP at MW has too much mass, it hinders his cardio. At WW he was always moving, always advancing, always pressing/pushing the pace. Woodley has the gas tank and punch output of a journeyman heavyweight fighter. His offensive wrestling is shit, his defensive wrestling isn't amazing either. He's been taken down and passed before.

You give Tyron too much credit, he will be a deer in the headlights just like he was against Rory...Except GSP is a better takedown artist and passer than Rory. Tyron would get fucked up.

Your question was answered though. Why was Lawler respected...The points are there.

Bringing up the result of one fight, I could easily bring up the war between Rory and Lawler that Lawler won in contrast to the "deer in the headlights" buffoonery of Woodley vs Rory.
How respected is an athlete really, if the opponent who crushes him, fair and square, doesn't get any respect for doing so?

GSP must fight Woodley.

Woodley is still not respected as the champ. Why? He is at Welterweight and hasn't beat the welterweight goat.

If Woodley beats GSP, it will bring tons of new fans in for Woodley. If GSP wins, it could set up a huge fight for the belt with Conor at Welter.

Either way, it might bring back some respect for the integrity of the division.

Did you miss all the Woodley call outs to GSP? GSP don't want no WOOD...

How respected is an athlete really, if the opponent who crushes him, fair and square, doesn't get any respect for doing so?

Look at his actions before and after acquiring the title...If after looking it all up you still can't see why, then there is no hope for you as a competent human being capable of rational thought.

GSP must fight Woodley.

Woodley is still not respected as the champ. Why? He is at Welterweight and hasn't beat the welterweight goat.

If Woodley beats GSP, it will bring tons of new fans in for Woodley. If GSP wins, it could set up a huge fight for the belt with Conor at Welter.

Either way, it might bring back some respect for the integrity of the division.
GSP would murk Woodley and Conor (coming from someone who genuinely likes Conor) there would be a lot of eyes on both fights, but GSP smokes the both. he's just on a different level as a martial artist. he's only lost twice and since his last loss, he's looked unbeatable. (and no sherdoggers, Hendricks didn't beat him)

GSP would murk Woodley and Conor (coming from someone who genuinely likes Conor) there would be a lot of eyes on both fights, but GSP smokes the both. he's just on a different level as a martial artist. he's only lost twice and since his last loss, he's looked unbeatable. (and no sherdoggers, Hendricks didn't beat him)

Hendricks won that shit.

GSP at MW has too much mass, it hinders his cardio. At WW he was always moving, always advancing, always pressing/pushing the pace. Woodley has the gas tank and punch output of a journeyman heavyweight fighter. His offensive wrestling is shit, his defensive wrestling isn't amazing either. He's been taken down and passed before.

You give Tyron too much credit, he will be a deer in the headlights just like he was against Rory...Except GSP is a better takedown artist and passer than Rory. Tyron would get fucked up.
I think you should watch Maia-Woodley again. More than 20 sucessful takedown defenses. Maia isn't that good of a takedown artist, but in most fights he does get it, he keeps trying and eventually he succeeds, didn't happened against Tyron. I don't see GSP being able to takedown T Wood and keep him there AT ALL.

I think you should watch Maia-Woodley again. More than 20 sucessful takedown defenses. Maia isn't that good of a takedown artist, but in most fights he does get it, he keeps trying and eventually he succeeds, didn't happened against Tyron. I don't see GSP being able to takedown T Wood and keep him there AT ALL.

If Rory can...GSP can all night...

He's the champ, he defends , stays active and fights contenders, if you don't respect that it's on you.
New fans want spectacle and drama, this is why the UFC is regressing.

Imagine the UFC giving Conor a title shot at 170 after going 1 and 1 against Nate Diaz, especially after he refuses to defends and allow progress, is that what you want ?

He's the champ, he defends , stays active and fights contenders, if you don't respect that it's on you.
New fans want spectacle and drama, this is why the UFC is regressing.

1-Throws a fit when obligated to fight contenders. Even goes so far as to say they haven't earned the shot when he did fuck all to earn his. Irony....
2-Would rather fight a LW than contenders.
3- I don't remember guys like Fedor/Rampage/Wand/Chuck/Matt Hughes/GSP/etc... Begging for much smaller men over contenders. In fact, those men would say "I'll fight whoever is in front of me..." while Tyron says "WHY I GOTTA FIGHT HIM?! WHY CANT I FIGHT DIAZ!? THIS IS DISCRIMINATION!"

That is reason enough to lack respect.

I don't like Woodley but there's a reason GSP never was excited about fighting him: he'd KO GSP clean, would end badly for GSP, the canadian duck will just stay away until someone beats Woodley.
Woodley couldn't even earn a shot at GSP when GSP was king.

Woodley just benefited from a lot of the top WWs being shot by the time he rose to the top.

He lost a god damn striking match with Jake Shields.... Jake Shields! Let that sink in.

He got tooled by Rory Mac, who is not nearly as good as Georges.

Prime GSP makes Woodley look average. Juiced up Hendricks was a better fighter than Woodley.

Woodley couldn't even earn a shot at GSP when GSP was king.

Woodley just benefited from a lot of the top WWs being shot by the time he rose to the top.

He lost a god damn striking match with Jake Shields.... Jake Shields! Let that sink in.

He got tooled by Rory Mac, who is not nearly as good as Georges.

Prime GSP makes Woodley look average. Juiced up Hendricks was a better fighter than Woodley.
Prime GSP doesn't exist anymore, 37 years old semi-retired GSP is the one that could fight T Wood.

Woodley striking technique is far from great but his power is there, i could see him get a KO against anyone in that division.
If Rory can...GSP can all night...
Meh. Not really. Being real i'd bet on T Wood in a rematch with Rory.

Back