For the Hardcores, a flashback to Forrest vs Rampage

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MarkHematominick, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MarkHematominick Yellow Belt

MarkHematominick
    Since mma is amidst a semi new dark age as far as many hardcore fans say, i.e.
    USADA busting everyone, all fighters imitating McGregor with trash talk and trying to hold out for big money fights, championship mismatches,

I decided to live in the past in sherdog with a forum about the fight that made me a forever mma fan.

I had just come home from Iraq in 2007, and I saw commercials all over the tv for the goofy looking white dude, who was guaranteed to get destroyed by the big scary brother, who apparently took out Chuck Liddell while I was away ( the only mma face I knew at the time). While stepping out for a cig on a Saturday night, my new neighbors were already drunk and said, "hey man, wanna come check out something cool? grab a beer too btw". So I went over and they had forrest vs rampage just about to kick off.

It was such a competitive back and fourth fight that I didn't see coming, rampage dropped him and was smashing him, then Forrest kicked the shit out of this legs and was dropping bombs from the full mount. Then the whole partially walk away before they announced the "NEWWWWWW" champ. It was such an awesome experience for my first UFC PPV to watch, and I have been hooked ever since.

Anyone else have any memories of their first or early favorite mma moments? I'm Con/May discussion boarded out guys. Sorry for resorting the living in the past

2. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

SeattleFightFan
    like many, i came back after UFC came out of the "dark ages". UFC 40-48 were pretty fucking spectacular. as was Pride from 2002-05.

3. chitoortiz Red Belt

chitoortiz
    Close fight but I had it 3-2 Forrest.

MarkHematominick likes this.
  4. Hazuki Ryo Green Belt

Hazuki Ryo
    Great performance by Forrest !!

5. Clippy DEREK BRUNSON FOR LIFE!!!1

Clippy
    Now I want chicken :mad:

6. DarkneT Sherdog hero

DarkneT
    I remember like.. loosing sleep I was so fucking pumped for UFC 92
    Like I could not stop thinking about it..

I was a lot younger then and had a lot less going in my life in my defence

7. Andre Xiong Red Belt

Andre Xiong
    dare I say, maybe mma was that exciting back then

JohnSAFTAHess likes this.
  8. bambambigelow Purple Belt

bambambigelow
    The TUF 1 finale. It aired first on the east coast so I was reading message boards during the time. The play by play and reactions were spectacular. It was like Rocky vs Appollo. Of course the real fight wasn't as exciting (to hardcore fans at least) but the energy that casual fans were putting out during the fight was pretty amazing.

9. linvillegorge Red Belt

linvillegorge
    Chuck Liddell vs. Paul Jones

My college freshman roommate was big into BJJ and I was a boxing fan. He was always trying to show many videos of Royce Gracie and this UFC stuff but I wasn't feeling his pajama wearing hero. Then this wild eyed mohawked skull tattooed dude came out and he was throwing hammers. Now this is what I'm talking about. 17 years later I'm still a big MMA fan and Chuck is still my all-time favorite fighter. Still chat MMA with Donnie (the college roommate) too.

10. Cro Cop Is Back Red Belt

Cro Cop Is Back
    Rampage on one leg slamming Forrest was cool

11. freakyfarley Adam Farley inc.

freakyfarley
  12. RDUBYA an oldie but a goodie

RDUBYA
    the first UFC fight I saw was Orlando Wiet vs the guy in red pants..there were schoolboy headlocks, hair pulling, elbows to the spine, soccer kicks, knees, a walkoff KO that wasn't, more ultra violence and a towel getting thrown in.

Insane.

BLIND and MarkHematominick like this.
  13. WalkenWouldOwn Steel Belt

WalkenWouldOwn
    I was hooked by the intrigue of style vs style starting with UFC 1 (I didn't watch it while it aired, found it randomly at blockbuster probably around 1998 or so)

Like many I was obsessed with Bloodsport, Kickboxer, The Quest, Enter the Dragon, and movies like that as a kid. Didn't know a thing about grappling outside of what I saw in WWE in the 90s.

Used to ride my bike to the Blockbuster up the street. One day my brother and I happened upon the UFC 1 VHS. We thought it sounded cool, brought it home.... and I have been a fan ever since. I didn't follow super closely until TUF 1 aired while I was in college, which is also the time I discovered the MMA online community and Sherdog. But after watching that first UFC I watched every UFC or MMA VHS or DVD available at Blockbuster or Wal Mart until it became more accessible and loved every second of it. Watching the first 3 UFCs still brings back fond memories.

lebzilla likes this.
  14. DarkneT Sherdog hero

DarkneT
    I think.. you may be onto something

Cro Cop Is Back likes this.
  15. Thesnake101 Chram lives in me

Thesnake101
    Barao vs Dillashaw 1. First live event that I saw - had watched Brown vs Silva prior to it - and had heard how Renan was this unbeatable dude who hadn't lost in 30+ fights, and how he was going to crush TJ. I then lost my shit when Dillashaw knocked him down and proceeded to dominate him.

Awesome shit.

Also when Lawler vs Rory happened, that shit was bananas!

BLIND and Logan M like this.
  16. VAfan Silver Belt

VAfan
    I hated that fight. not that I was even a rampage fan, but it was frustrating watching a clearly superior fighter getting beaten by something he could correct so easily. rampage is top 5 all time in poor fight IQ.

17. shinobimusashi Blue Belt

shinobimusashi
    Interesting thing about Rampage vs Forrest, Forrest used some of the same stuff to beat Rampage's team mate Hector Ramirez(can't remember that dudes name) in that fight in Ireland I believe UFC 72, this was 1 year before Rampage lost to Forrest, just a month or so after Rampage beat Chuck, Rampage was in Ramirez's corner for that fight too.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    RDUBYA likes this.
  18. shinobimusashi Blue Belt

shinobimusashi
    If you want to wax nostalgic about first MMA/UFC experiences I got to say mine would be Summer of 1995. My uncles would babysit me and my brothers and sister, they would always rent those weird "special interest" tapes from the video stores, Faces of Death, National Geographic When Predators Attack. One night they were babysitting us we rented Ace Ventura Pet Detective and they picked up UFC 1 from the video store, seeing Gordeau kick Tuli in the face was an image permanently burned into my brain, I was probably too little to even be watching something like that, I felt so sorry for the Sumo wrestler. Later on a few weeks or months later me and my little brother put some change together and walked to the video store one Summer afternoon to rent the brand new release; Street Fighter with Jean Claude Van Damme! It was checked out so we waited around the store all day waiting for it to be brought back. Finally got our hands on it and also rented UFC 2. Fell in love with UFC that day, went back the next day and rented UFC 3 and Wrestlemania X, before you knew it we were out in the yard pretending to be Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie trying to choke each other out. Good times.

19. TWAK Green Belt

TWAK
    Sort of the same for me, except it was during a deployment in 2005. They had UFC on AFN at the chow halls and at the mwr.
    I hated doing combatives and had to do the training for it lol, but looking back on it I could of done pretty well, I just hated waking up before morning PT to do training.

20. Emporio Alnino 1152

Emporio Alnino
    he who brings light exists in the deepest shadow
    hated that fight.. still can't believe rampage lost to him.