For the few of you that have watched Askren fight a few times.

frye666

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How does he do in the UFC? I wish I could see him fight in the UFC, because I think he could possibly win a title. (Not wanting to see him in particular, but wanting to see an undefeated guy that has a very serious resume). And honestly, he isn't the blanket people make him out to be. He isn't the most exciting guy, but he does win fights.

he can take down mostly any1 except a few guys. a fight with like maia would be interesting to see how he'd plan to win that

The fact that the UFC never signed him says a lot.

Really would only see the very best giving him issues

GSP, Woodley, Maia, those guys might give him problems but I think Askren would have roughed up everyone else. We'll never know though...

He's called "Smoke Break" for a reason. Dude literally pulls and tugs, and typically looks worse than the fighters he "dominated". Fuck asskren.

Wonderboy would also beat him. But his biggest challenge and any 170lb fighters biggest challenge isn't in the UFC i'm afraid. The biggest threat to the 170lb division resides in Bellator and his name is Micheal Venom Page.

How does he do in the UFC? I wish I could see him fight in the UFC, because I think he could possibly win a title. (Not wanting to see him in particular, but wanting to see an undefeated guy that has a very serious resume). And honestly, he isn't the blanket people make him out to be. He isn't the most exciting guy, but he does win fights.
He makes us fall asleep and makes advertisers run away. That's how he does.

He’d probably be a top 5 guy but it’s hard to say when he just crushes cans

He would struggle against the top but could very well become champion. He's beaten almost the very best outside the UFC. A fight between Rory and Askren would be interesting as fuck.

Really? What does it say exactly? He beat some very decent fighters in bellator and then ended up where he is now because of the mess with Dana and Coker

He'd have cruised into the top 10, maybe top 7, but would have hit a major roadblock at that point without favorable match ups. He struggled with Hieron when he couldn't just completely dominate with his wrestling and has let himself go physically since leaving Bellator when he realized he no longer needed to train to beat up the cans he was thrown.

Meh.

They clearly didn't sign him for three major reasons:

1. Too much shit flying back and forth between he and Dana.
2. He was getting offers elsewhere that they didn't want to compete with because his style isn't one that they feel draws viewers.
3. They were actually a little worried he would win fights (and maybe even make a contender/title run) against guys who were a draw.

People act like Askren was a no name fighter who wasn't on the UFC radar. Reality is, if they were confident that he'd get eaten in the UFC, they'd have signed him years ago to put him in there against the sharks of the division to be exposed and to shut him up.

For the opposite scenario, see Kimbo Slice:

1. Respectful to Dana and Co.
2. Brought a really big viewership with him.
3. Probably wasn't going to go far, but if he did that would just be a bonus because he was super marketable.

Doesn't mean Kimbo was a better fighter than Askren, just because he fought in the UFC.

Wonderboy would also beat him. But his biggest challenge and any 170lb fighters biggest challenge isn't in the UFC i'm afraid. The biggest threat to the 170lb division resides in Bellator and his name is Micheal Venom Page.
Venom Page vs one of the best wrestlers in MMA. There isn't a worse match up for him on Earth. Great post.

He would Khabib his way to the top

That means he would be one of the best in the division. No shame in that, especially seeing as how they both have more finishes than decisions. Interestingly enough, just realized they have both finished 7 out of last 10 wins as well.

Of course, just finishing isn't enough for casuals/fanboys these days.

Venom Page vs one of the best wrestlers in MMA. There isn't a worse match up for him on Earth. Great post.

Page is very good but Askren is literally the best wrestler in mma .

Not to mention page has exactly zero top 15 wins and barely squeaked a split decision over a bum in his last fight. He has been fed a steady diet of cans his entire career.

I'd say Askren beats him easily.

Back