For someone who supposedly has an elusive style...Thompson gets knocked down a lot

When your average fight is 5 rounds and you keep your hands below your waist, you are gonna get caught. Its just statistics.

Is the karate style not that elusive? Not as effective?
A lot of the offensive and timing moves are great, i.e. Machida KO over Vitor. However, Thompson whos known to evade his opponents strikes, has been knocked down at least once in his last three fights.

Come on bro, is it time to cross train in some boxing? From what I understand he has a kickboxing foundation as well, but its more orientated towards karate than it is boxing.
MVP looked like a more refined version of wonderboy if that's possible.

His chin is always out there and sometimes he lets his opponent close that gap when he doesn't react quickly enough.

He fought a dozen times without getting knocked down, but we frame it absurdly as 'in his last three fights' without noting two of those are against the current defending champion, arguably one of the best welterweights of all time, and one of the best strikers in the division in Till, who is literally undefeated.

Context matters.

Woodley and Till are both high level strikers and have a lot of power behind their punches. So no big deal.

What I like about Till is that he didn't fall for some basic set-ups, he knew if he just rushed in he'd get KO'ed. He's no sucker. I don't think he's the second-coming or anything like that, but he's not one to fall for obvious set-ups nor does he get exited over landing a significant punch.

Go ask Darren Till now if he thinks wonderboy is elusive, I'd bet good money he'd say yes. If only because he basically just said it in his press conference.

He has also fought a lot of great fighters. It's probably a combination of the two.

Well guess whaty he could have won that round easily and still lost. Robbery.

No style is perfect, at least Thompson isn't trying to cut to lightweight to fight smaller opponents.
if he doesn't want to spend the rest of his career as a gatekeeper, he should think about changing divisions

Not a lot. Till, Woodley. All late in the fight.

When his back is against the cage and the opponent cuts off his lateral movement, he tends to freeze up a bit.

Also, this is just a theory of mine and not a fact by any means, I think his footwork of bouncing in and out as well as side to side means he never really has a solid foundation when he does get hit which tends to lead to more flash knockdowns. I think it has more to do with him being off balance when he gets hit rather than really hurt, again just a theory of mine tho I would have to watch his knockdowns closely to confirm this which I haven't done.

This makes a lot of sense. a good portion of mma knockdowns are the result of the excessive movement of these guys.

Is the karate style not that elusive?
I dont understand how you can say that. Machida was one of the hardest guys to hit. Wonderboy had been in there with alot of tough guys,who have to make their hits count. The hits he takes are hard shots and his in an out style componds things when the shot DOES connect.

When his back is against the cage and the opponent cuts off his lateral movement, he tends to freeze up a bit.

Also, this is just a theory of mine and not a fact by any means, I think his footwork of bouncing in and out as well as side to side means he never really has a solid foundation when he does get hit which tends to lead to more flash knockdowns. I think it has more to do with him being off balance when he gets hit rather than really hurt, again just a theory of mine tho I would have to watch his knockdowns closely to confirm this which I haven't done.
yep.

His style works great when people aren't prepared for it. When they are the holes start to show.

Amazing footwork.... Just needs to keep hands up … chin down. But not like he is fighting scrubs. Happens against the top-tier.

cause karate point fighting guys fight back and forth no angles he also keeps his hands at his waist trying to draw guys in but it end sup hurting him cause when a guy decides to double up on his shots like woodley did it cost him issues karate guys are like fencers they dart in and out only

Back