Footwork drills?

Circling back off the line in both directions with emphasis on forward balance to defend a shoot.

Watch Machita v Ortiz a million times to learn the pattern he uses to spin out of Ortiz's advancing.

Look up the countless TKD instructional and practice the mobility drills...Best in the combat sports business.

I like to throw a combination and take a step back pushing with my rear foot, that makes me calm down and step back my mind too; sometimes in fights I get in a trance like state which make me start brawling and stop being cold, the detail of the step back helps.

Put some markers down in front of a heavy bag in a diamond shape:

upload_2017-5-25_8-5-42.png

I use rolled up wraps. The idea here is to move in to hit the bag and then back out afterwards, the whole time not stepping on the markers. This helps you develop not only range management but angle management and balance whilst skirmishing. For example, you can move in with your lead foot on one side of the bottom most marker, throw your combo and then move back out on the other side of the bottom most marker. Try throwing something on the retreat to hide your exit, which can also provide you some cover for moving back in from a different angle. Build up your versatility with shifts, D'Amato shifts, pivot outs, step throughs, etc

Last edited:

View attachment 231999

I use rolled up wraps. The idea here is to move in to hit the bag and then back out afterwards, the whole time not stepping on the markers. This helps you develop not only range management but angle management and balance whilst skirmishing. For example, you can move in with your lead foot on one side of the bottom most marker, throw your combo and then move back out on the other side of the bottom most marker. Try throwing something on the retreat to hide your exit, which can also provide you some cover for moving back in from a different angle. Build up your versatility with shifts, D'Amato shifts, pivot outs, step throughs, etc

I really appreciate this one! I'm assuming this one will be kind of awkward at first?

Depending on what i am trying to work on i have several drills i rely on.
as far as building technique, working on the basics.
make the square:
me and a partner face off against each other with a decent distance ( could touch each other not too far not too close, and then move sideways around a ring or square depending on whats available trying to stay in sync maintain distance etc come to a corner both guys need to pivot etc.
circle drill :
put a x on the floor with tape and put my rear foot heel on it have partner circle around you and try to keep him within my two feet so he docent get an angle while not moving my heel off the x. and then of course the reverse is being on the outside and trying to outmaneuver the guy on the x .
Partnered hop step drill.
hop stepping back and forth both of us are facing each other on guy hop steps forward the other backwards going back and forth.
Shadowboxing:
usually i like to use my first round of shadowboxing with out inches just using footwork stepping, pivots, hop steps etc...
then regular shadow boxing just make sure i use lots of footwork, when i have time i usually take notes on fighters i like and then trying mimic there foot work when i shadow box. when was younger i spent too much time stationary shadowboxing focusing too much on high intensity and long combos. now i do the opposite slower and more controlled shadow boxing with the emphasis on foot work first and then punches.

as far as exercise for increasing footwork dexterity i don't get too fancy but i use the old staple the jump rope the most.
i have special jump rope routine that i follow from an old coach that he said was used to develop pivoting power and ankle strength. i usually do mix of different routines when i skip so some just basic skips and then actually skipping, the routine, jumping, sprinting.
aim for 3-5 rounds 3 minutes on 30 seconds to minute break between rounds. if i am feeling fat i will try and push myself to do more rounds.

also all the footwork drills i listed i learned from sinister so shouts out to him and johnny tocco's boxing gym. if anybody wants to up there game that is the best way to do it.

Jeez I cant imagine someone at that level of tkd mixing it up with a high level of boxing what a monster that could be. I always under estimated TKD before this video.

Jeez I cant imagine someone at that level of tkd mixing it up with a high level of boxing what a monster that could be. I always under estimated TKD before this video.
It's extremely impressive, but TKD and boxing don't mix very well. It depends on the style of boxing sure, but generally.

It's extremely impressive, but TKD and boxing don't mix very well. It depends on the style of boxing sure, but generally.

Tkd and boxing mix very well, to me it's just about using tkd as your main weapon and relying on hands to get them back to that tkd range when they get to close.

Tkd is probably the most underrated and most misunderstood martial art in the MMA relm.

View attachment 231999

Thanks for the drill and the attachment to show it. I'm not quite getting it though for some reason. You start in the middle of the markers, move to the right of the two at the bottom, and then move back out the same way? Not understanding how you can come out on the otherside. Any chance you can post a diagram or a video? Very interested in this as I am working on my footwork myself

Thanks for the drill and the attachment to show it. I'm not quite getting it though for some reason. You start in the middle of the markers, move to the right of the two at the bottom, and then move back out the same way? Not understanding how you can come out on the otherside. Any chance you can post a diagram or a video? Very interested in this as I am working on my footwork myself

Basically incorporate this drill into your bag work:

Enter at one angle and exit out of another angle.

Last edited:
Back