Footwork and head movement shadowboxing

There was some mention earlier about tension, but your body doesn't appear all that tense to me. It just looks like when you initiate a movement, it seems as if you're trying really hard to make the movement quick. I'm constantly telling my fighters that it's about timing, not racing. If you're a "racer" it means that in response to anything you see, you're going to try and beat the motion just AFTER you see it. This isn't always bad, but it is very predictable and allows you to be timed. Defensive action is more about rhythm and timing. In this video, Daijon isn't sparring this kid, the kid's a novice. He's just playing defense primarily. But look at his fluidity and how his movements aren't typically rushed. It's even more so nowadays:

why is your student changing hand positions when slipping and moving forward?

this type of head movement seems also better than the peekaboo type of slipping because in the peekaboo the body is not protected so the peekaboo fighter can get his rythm broken with body shots whereas someone who slips in the manner that frazier or muhammed qawi slipped has the body protected as well (or am I mistaken?)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 6
Im surprised nobody made a thread back when Canelo took on Chavez Jr. not too long ago. That was some of the most pleasing movement i've ever seen in a fight; like i was hardly even paying attention to the punches themselves, just marveling at how he moved around the ring while systematically dismantling Junior. Like a cat stalking a bird almost, or at times like a mongoose dancing with a snake.

why is your student changing hand positions when slipping and moving forward?

this type of head movement seems also better than the peekaboo type of slipping because in the peekaboo the body is not protected so the peekaboo fighter can get his rythm broken with body shots whereas someone who slips in the manner that frazier or muhammed qawi slipped has the body protected as well (or am I mistaken?)

Because he doesn't want you to know what punch he wants to throw.

Back