Foot work and stance as the basis for boxing

Wariowokecancel

You can cancel but you can’t wake
@Gold
Reaction score
I've been trying to learn some basic boxing alongside BJJ.

I do pads and bags with my trainer.

Seems like when I just concentrate on my feet my jabs and hooks just flow from them. I just think about my where my feet are and the rest works.

When I start thinking about my upper body movement I overreach, lose my balance or raise my back leg. Even head movement goes better when I just think about my feet.

Am I right to center mentally on my feet? In a pure boxing context.

Yep right mentality.

Feet are so important, yet it's easy to forget that even when you're experienced, especially against sparring partners that are good if not better than you. A lot of beginners don't even start to think about their feet so you're setting yourself up for a good foundation for sure.

@1:04 there is some further insight as well. He talks about how as you get older you may not "float" like you used to, I think this applies to us mere mortals too regardless of age. When you move use your pivots as well. Incorporating pivoting is so important. Say you move a step back then turn to your right with a pivot, you not only got out of the way of that initial punch but you provided yourself an exit angle out of that line of attack and now have a safe angle to re-enter, attack, or continue moving. Now you're no longer back peddling too much, tiring yourself out

Last edited:
Nice pivoting drill with Pedro Diaz and Nieky Holzken:

Back