Focusing on "stars" has been killing the UFC for YEARS and Conor is the sad culmination of it all...

The sport thrived when Anderson and GSP dominated their Weight Classes. They were big stars, but actually no "money fights" were made between them.

Now, even though they are making a lot more "money fights", the sport is in terrible conditions. Even fighters are complaining...

let that sink in...

This new UFC as done a piss poor job of turning these casuals into actual fight fanz, in the days of Anderson, GSP, Liddell, Couture, they actually had real fight fanz dedicated to their guy and the sport. This new UFC have bent so far backwards to cater to casuals and push what's popular instead of staying truly real to the sport (belts, ranks, contenders). Back in the day if you weren't good enough to hold a belt you wouldn't have one, now if you're popular they cut a path to a belt and bubble wrap you away from trouble.

Hardcore fight fanz are the solid foundation of mma, this new UFC have chosen to build their promotion on sand by catering to casuals. Instead of trying to turn casual into real fight fanz they have chosen to chase casual dollars instead of solidifying their premium brand of mma and still make mad money.

Sad.

- Donald Trump

Ok, but where does one draw the line?

What does Conor have to do in order to make the UFC grow some balls...?

In this man's humple opinion, he's done FAR than enough already.

Defend or vacate retire or at the very least, get stripped while you're stalling and stalling.
If your asking me then that doesn't bode well on your business.
The UFC have balls. There just squeezing the last drop of milk out of it.
I disagree with him doing enough already. That's a lack of imagination on his part I feel. If he drops the belt will you jump to the 'didn't go out like a champion' or will you sit back in your seat after being so damn worried about this, do you finally get to rest. Because if a minor thing like this is panicking you, i have a feeling you won't be sitting down long

I feel your pain brother
We get them on the TV packages in the U.K.
But if I had to pay 60 dollars or whatever for the kinda shite they've been putting out lately
I'd become a casual fan[/QUOTE
Do you use BT sport's? Not gunna lie alot of the Better quality streams are from their broadcasts

You say "for years and years" then go on to talk about fighters dictating terms and etc... So who does this apply to BEFORE Conor McGregor?
Randy Couture. Lost a bunch of times, kept getting title fights like 1 or 2 fights later, retired after getting KO'd, gets title fight at a higher weight class, tries to sue the company to go fight outside the UFC while holding the belt.

There are only so many hardcore fans, especially ones who are willing to pay $60 for PPV. The casuals are carrying the sport, the numbers have proven that time and time again.
I'm not trying to argue that that is their target audience now and that 2016 was a huge year because of it. I'm saying if the quality of cards was better across the board I would be alot more willing to shell out the cash.

And so far this yr PPVs are tanking .....I see it as an outdated model that greedy businesses just refuse to let go of. Wouldnt it make more more if every ppv hit the 500, 000 mark instead of one maybe two PPVs a year getting a mil or close?

Less is more to me in this case ....less cards higher quality.

Randy Couture. Lost a bunch of times, kept getting title fights like 1 or 2 fights later, retired after getting KO'd, gets title fight at a higher weight class, tries to sue the company to go fight outside the UFC while holding the belt.

Ok... So in this case, where does the "focusing on the stars" part come in?

I'm not trying to argue that that is their target audience now and that 2016 was a huge year because of it. I'm saying if the quality of cards was better across the board I would be alot more willing to shell out the cash.

And so far this yr PPVs are tanking .....I see it as an outdated model that greedy businesses just refuse to let go of. Wouldnt it make more more if every ppv hit the 500, 000 mark instead of one maybe two PPVs a year getting a mil or close?

Less is more to me in this case ....less cards higher quality.

That is not true at all
WME is tied to contracts that Fetittas had when they bought UFC
They can't do anything until 2019 as far as changing the way they distribute product

They openly stated they want to do less PPV's

Agrees but conor isnt a mma fighter anymore no reason to bring him up.

Hey everyone this sherdogger thinks he can run the ufc better out of his moms basement

Hey everyone this sherdogger thinks he can run the ufc better out of his moms basement

YOU, yes YOU would want to see "stars" fight legit contenders, so...

Keep talkin'.

Yeah they carry 95% of the UFC in the UK

This new UFC as done a piss poor job of turning these casuals into actual fight fanz, in the days of Anderson, GSP, Liddell, Couture, they actually had real fight fanz dedicated to their guy and the sport. This new UFC have bent so far backwards to cater to casuals and push what's popular instead of staying truly real to the sport (belts, ranks, contenders). Back in the day if you weren't good enough to hold a belt you wouldn't have one, now if you're popular they cut a path to a belt and bubble wrap you away from trouble.

Hardcore fight fanz are the solid foundation of mma, this new UFC have chosen to build their promotion on sand by catering to casuals. Instead of trying to turn casual into real fight fanz they have chosen to chase casual dollars instead of solidifying their premium brand of mma and still make mad money.

This isn't really down to the new owners, the pattern had been set before the buyout with Lesnar then Rousey/Conor. I wouldn't actually be supprised if part of that was down to Zuffa knowing they were selling up and putting even less focus on the long term.

WME-IMG had just invest 4 billion into this business , definitely they will try their best to earn it back asap.....

Sadly, they never look into long term plan. Now the drawback has arrived, so they will have to deal with it.

Can we just sticky this post, the same shit gets posted on here every day man.

If only they would place their focus on ACTUAL FIGHTS...

When Conor is the face of your company...you have problems.

And I'm not using hyperbole.

When your "star" won't actually defend...

When your "star" is given so much power that HE can dictate the rules...

When your "star" makes a mockery of your organization by acting the fool left and fucking right...

These are not things that other fighters on the roster should aspire to in order to get paid, alas, being a loudmouth does have it's monetary advantages given the fucked up nature of the UFC.

In closing, I know the entertainment aspect is VITAL, but what about focusing on entertaining FIGHTS and INTRIGUING match-ups...

I'll end my saying this... Imagine if Conor was not a "star"... If that was the case, a fight with Tony would have probably happened already...

*end of rant*
THANK youuuuuuu

This isn't really down to the new owners, the pattern had been set before the buyout with Lesnar then Rousey/Conor. I wouldn't actually be supprised if part of that was down to Zuffa knowing they were selling up and putting even less focus on the long term.

To some extent I do agree the pattern had been forming especially when Lesnar came onto the scene and the casual catering really started to pick-up steam when Conor started to take over, but under this new ownership they seemed to have embraced the WWE template approach to fighting starz & belts.

Yeah he's killing the UFC by giving them tons of exposure and co promotion on a Mayweather fight

.... dumbass

WME-IMG had just invest 4 billion into this business , definitely they will try their best to earn it back asap.....

Sadly, they never look into long term plan. Now the drawback has arrived, so they will have to deal with it.

Actually they do have a long term plan & that is why they put together the people that bought UFC.
They want to change the distribution model which they cannot implement until 2019
This was known since 6/16
The idea that they could possibly "earn it back ASAP" is extremely silly, since even with UFC's best 3 years combined, they only made $500-550m in profit approx.
The idea is/was to restructure UFC with budget cuts & get better contractual rights & advertising (which they have)
That is why even without MayMac, this year is extremely profitable.
That is a sound plan.

I have zero idea if the WME-Era will be better/worse for MMA as a whole, but your post is way off & the exact opposite of what is occurring

They investors in WME/UFC are very happy. The evaluation of UFC in 9/17 was 30% over the price they paid & WME investors gave WME another $1.1b to move forward with.

They are treating UFC like a business. That is what hundreds of threads on SD hoped for before the sale.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, all the "hardcore" fans talk about McGregor incessantly. The front page is still littered with McGregor threads constantly. 90% of those threads are hater threads. You "hardcore" fans sure as fuck aren't doing anything to discourage the behavior.

Stars sell PPVs. Ideally the stars provide entertaining fights but this isn’t even a requirement, just look at Mayweather. He’s had maybe 3 entertaining fights in the past 8 years and he’s still the biggest PPV seller in combat sports history.

Conor provides both, is a star and provides entertaining fights, get that through your heads.

Casuals need stars to care about the fight and they are who bring in the money. The money men will never care about hardcore sherdog bros.

Back