Focusing on "stars" has been killing the UFC for YEARS and Conor is the sad culmination of it all...

They made a shit ton of money and fleeced WME for 4.2 Billion with superstars as the face of their company. But you need a good balance and not go all in giving 1-2 people all the benefits.

lol

I'm sure if you were in a power position you would let Conor run his mouth about YOUR brand while he stalls and stalls and says how he's more important than everyone else on the roster...etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure you would do that, right?

I'm sure you would let his run the show because it's good for business, right?

SMH
Like I said, you want it to be one way, but it's the other way. I love the 218 type cards, but they would go bust only doing those. The casuals keep the company afloat. You need the Conor ass clowns, like it or not.

McClownshow and the UFC have certainly turned the LW championship into a laughing stock.

More like: WME and Dana made the UFC and mma a laughing stock by letting a jabroni too much freedom because he's a draw for causals. That's what you get for focusing on stars and not the fights or the sport, the only good example was Jones but with the juicing, coke and dick pills he's wasitng his prime on being suspended.

Confirmed: UFC Dying

dana_white-surgery.png

Casual fans pay the bills

Sad but true
I do agree casuals pay the bills it's somewhat UFC s fault the hardcore s won't pay for cards. I used to be able to get a group together to split the ppv and make a night of it.

Now that the cards are watered down, no one defends shit and it's all wwe......I can find another MMA fan to save my life......it's sad

I do agree casuals pay the bills it's somewhat UFC s fault the hardcore s won't pay for cards. I used to be able to get a group together to split the ppv and make a night of it.

Now that the cards are watered down, no one defends shit and it's all wwe......I can find another MMA fan to save my life......it's sad
I feel your pain brother
We get them on the TV packages in the U.K.
But if I had to pay 60 dollars or whatever for the kinda shite they've been putting out lately
I'd become a casual fan

There are only so many hardcore fans, especially ones who are willing to pay $60 for PPV. The casuals are carrying the sport, the numbers have proven that time and time again.

They used to give them a lot less favours, but the UFC did make it big largely on the star power of a few fighters: Chuck, Randy, GSP. I think the big difference was that the partnership with spike really helped get recognition to the mid-tier talent.

There are only so many hardcore fans, especially ones who are willing to pay $60 for PPV. The casuals are carrying the sport, the numbers have proven that time and time again.

How about.......................

Converting a noteworthy amount of casual fans into hardcore fans via GOOD FIGHTS bereft of CONOR drama and the rest of the bullshit...

Foresight is good.

1) Because eventually the fact that it was run by the Yakuza was made public and Fuji TV essentially shut them down. Without the TV money they were dead in the water and the UFC bought them at a discount.

2) Fedor remained undefeated for 3 years after he left Pride. He had 32 fights before he lost. Maybe he, you know, got a little old?

None of this refutes the fact that what the UFC is doing is not new and that it's a star driven sport.
the UFC was also run by gangsters.
If Pride was a legit run company and was actually profitable some other investors would of stepped up and bought the company and not at a significant discount but at a fair price. But people with actual knowledge of the fight game knew that the biggest star had an extremely padded record against highly unskilled fighters, sumos, fat oagers with no fighting skills or cardio.
Anyone with the money to buy Pride knew that Vadim would never let Fedor fight against any real competition, and would have to deal with unreasonable demands like co-promoting, hand picked opponents and who knows what other nonsense.

Fedor was a good fighter but never great, his biggest wins are Randleman and Coleman who are juiced up one dimensional wrestlers with no striking or submission skills, both were submitted.( Fedor was also juiced up though) Cro-cop a kickboxer with zero wrestling and an amateur groung game and that was a decision and nothing to be proud of if you take into consideration that Cro-cop was aveage at best in the ufc. Then we have Arona which was a close fight that many thought Arona won, and that was a decision.
Glass chin Arlovski who was picking him apart on the feet till he went for that flying knee.
Tim Sylvia, despite being a UFC champ, the most awkward fighter of all time, and probably the most awkward person of all time, fuck he had his arm snapped by Mir who was a good fighter at best. Big Nog, again a decision, who also had his arm snapped by the average Mir

The UFC bought Pride for one reason, to prove to the world that FEDOR is nothing special, but they didn't have to prove it cause Fedor did that by himself. First by refusing to sign then he lost to Werdum, and under-sized Henderson who was older than Fedor, and slo-motion man Antonio Sylva

Sorry but Fedor didn't get old, he fought legit fighters and lost.

ever hear of Joe Calzaghe? former boxer, 46-0 record. most of them in his home country of Wales. 46-0, you know who considers him a all time great? nobody cause everyone knows he had a padded record and favourable judging in his homeland. Kind of similar to our freind Fedor

If Pride was a legit run company and was actually profitable some other investors would of stepped up and bought the company and not at a significant discount but at a fair price. But people with actual knowledge of the fight game knew that the biggest star had an extremely padded record against highly unskilled fighters, sumos, fat oagers with no fighting skills or cardio.
Anyone with the money to buy Pride knew that Vadim would never let Fedor fight against any real competition, and would have to deal with unreasonable demands like co-promoting, hand picked opponents and who knows what other nonsense.

Fedor was a good fighter but never great, his biggest wins are Randleman and Coleman who are juiced up one dimensional wrestlers with no striking or submission skills, both were submitted.( Fedor was also juiced up though) Cro-cop a kickboxer with zero wrestling and an amateur groung game and that was a decision and nothing to be proud of if you take into consideration that Cro-cop was aveage at best in the ufc. Then we have Arona which was a close fight that many thought Arona won, and that was a decision.
Glass chin Arlovski who was picking him apart on the feet till he went for that flying knee.
Tim Sylvia, despite being a UFC champ, the most awkward fighter of all time, and probably the most awkward person of all time, fuck he had his arm snapped by Mir who was a good fighter at best. Big Nog, again a decision, who also had his arm snapped by the average Mir

The UFC bought Pride for one reason, to prove to the world that FEDOR is nothing special, but they didn't have to prove it cause Fedor did that by himself. First by refusing to sign then he lost to Werdum, and under-sized Henderson who was older than Fedor, and slo-motion man Antonio Sylva

ever hear of Joe Calzaghe? former boxer, 46-0 record. most of them in his home country of Wales. 46-0, you know who considers him a all time great? nobody cause everyone knows he had a padded record and favourable judging in his homeland. Kind of similar to our freind Fedor

If you really had a point you wouldn't need 4 paragraphs to make it.

Pride was profitable with their TV deal. Once that was taken way they were done. It had nothing to do with their matchmaking practices.

Regarding Calzaghe:

He was great.

All time great...no, but great nonetheless.

Speed...and the ability to turn on a punch amidst a barrage...

Great chin...

Great stamina...

Much of the public were skeptical until he fought Jeff Lacy.

WAR Calzaghe!

Regarding Calzaghe:

He was great.

All time great...no, but great nonetheless.

Speed...and the ability to turn on a punch amidst a barrage...

Great chin...

Great stamina...

Much of the public were skeptical until he fought Jeff Lacy.

WAR Calzaghe!
he was a point fighter with a nation(and judges) behind him cause they had to other athlete to cheer for.

the fact that you yourself say he is not an all time great despite having a 46-0 record proves my point, but i will concede that he was a good fighter.

he was a point fighter with a nation(and judges) behind him cause they had to other athlete to cheer for.

the fact that you yourself say he is not an all time great despite having a 46-0 record proves my point, but i will concede that he was a good fighter.

A merely "good" fighter wouldn't have had as much success vs Byron Mitchell, Jeff Lacy, (who was undefeated at the time) Mikkel Kessler (who was quite lauded at the time) Bernard Hopkins (all time great) and lastly, Roy Jones...

If you really had a point you wouldn't need 4 paragraphs to make it.

Pride was profitable with their TV deal. Once that was taken way they were done. It had nothing to do with their matchmaking practices.
i had many points to make, apparently you are unable to come up with a realistic argument so instead you post genaric nonsence
If fugi tv were turning a great profit from pride they would not of closed the doors on pride, hell I'm willing to bet that Fugi tv is also owned by the Yakuza

The appeal to UFC was always that it would match up the best vs the best, and not let stars control the company.

This led to steady success that the company could rely on.

Now that stars control the company, the hardcore fans are being pushed away for short term gain.

Not good for long term success.

it could be that the new ufc owners are way over their head, and didn't realize it would be as difficult as it is to run the ufc. maybe they want to make as much as they can right now, to sell to someone else later. who knows, it's just something that came to mind.

Back