Focusing on power development instead of peak strength (via dynamic effort)

have you not checked out matt vincents book and writings on the highland games? if not you should be killed.......i know him and he is a multi time champion in the games

Ok so basically get stronger, lift heavy, try high pulls for height instead of cleans, before I worry too mucheap about switching to a solely power oriented routine. Sounds good to me. I'm adding some accomodating resistance to squats and one arm dumbell press which I use primarily as volume exercise's because each of them is stronger at lockout than at the bottom. I figure it may not be necessary but it's not detrimental, and might even be beneficial since I can get some time under heavier loads.

More of the same, only different, for now. Thanks for all the help!

I don't see why you have to wait to do power work. There's no reason you can't do it concurrently with strength training, especially if you train more than 3 days a week. Dan Pfaff has said he has all of his athletes (not just his elite ones) doing acceleration work once a week year round. Seems like a waste not to work on it. Power/acceleration is a skill and it needs practice. May as well start now.

have you not checked out matt vincents book and writings on the highland games? if not you should be killed.......i know him and he is a multi time champion in the games
Even before I read this I broke down and bought throwing lab. Im not sure about strength lab and training lab. The former is the most recent but I may just take it one book at a time. Will read through throwing lab tonight

Back