FLW Champ Nicco Montano: I don't think PVZ and Valentina can make the weight. They don't deserve it

With regards to PVZ, this Nicco lady is doing it wrong.

Don't bitch about how undeserving she is. Just beat her and take her power like Highlander.

She should definitely duck Shevchenko though.

I think it' more how she worded it. If she wouldn' have said she thinks neither deserves the fight cause of their inability to make the weight. Especially pvz who fights at 115 it wouldn't have been such an issue. Bad choice of words on her part lead to a lot of trolling and chirping

Partially that, but the point remains. Everyone cannot always speak well in public, and it is not as if she has a ton of experience with her current level of media exposure. It is bizarre how people here (not you, just speaking in general) expect athletes to train all day to fight, and yet find time to master international communications and public speaking. And when they remain silent, they get even more shit. MMA fans pretty much suck.

I don't think you understand what that means
Someone that wins a championship in competition is not a "paper champ"
A "paper champ" is someone awarded a championship without winning it in competition.
Like Aldo? Twice? ;)

4-2 Nicco Montano said he doesn't think PVZ or Valentina can make 125

You are misinterpreting what she said by quoting it out of context. She never said that she didn't think they could make weight. A good clue that should have tipped you off to that is the fact that PVZ is coming up from strawweight. Of course there is no doubt in Nicco's mind that PVZ can make weight at 125 lbs if she has consistently made weight at 115 lbs. She is just arguing that anyone fighting for the belt, at this point, should have had a fight at 125 lbs first.

That belt aint worth shit until the makes it worth something by defending it a couple of times. So I dont really understand why this person thinks she is in a position to call the shots. I have never even heard of her.

Sounds like Duckmetrious.

Sounds like a goof backing a coward champion, that wants to DROP DOWN to challenge a SMALLER fighter.

WTF has happened to MMA fans ?

A few years ago. This clown would have been run out of the UFC.

yNoN8nW.gif

I really don't get all these talks about PVZ and title fights tbh.

The only reason there was ever any talk of PVZ and a title shot is that PVZ floated the idea herself on her social media, and then Shevchenko made news by asking PVZ to fight her.

She won TUF - big fn deal

And? She still made weight and won three fights in six weeks, then beat a vet. She also beat two former Invicta champs, one of whom was a champ at 135. Sure, she will probably lose the belt the minute Shevchenko puts her gloves on, but they had to establish the division somehow. If they had just picked two fighters, everyone and their idiot brother would have bitched about one or both. An open tournament would take forever, particularly with injuries screwing up match-ups. So while I am not a big fan of TUF - to put it mildly - out of a bunch of shit options, this one stunk the least.

Oh, there is one worse option - had they just given the belt to someone.

Obviously Val is a different kettle of fish to Van Zany but both Montano and Eubanks would give her a competitive scrap. I'm not saying they'd win but I can't see it being the beatdown the Shevchenko fans seem to think. Two fighters who are a lot stronger than their headline records suggest.

Fuck, I would much rather have Val fight Montana than Eubanks. Eubanks is much fucking bigger than Val, and, given her grappling background, this presents a much bigger challenge. While I like Nicco (actually, she impressed the hell out of me these last few months) and she is a great athlete, she does not, IMO, have the tools to compete with the far more skilled and experienced Shevchenko. I think she is tough enough to go the distance, but Val should easily out-land her.

Even reading the quote before it, it still doesn't make any sense.

I just recently watched the interview. In context there was never any ambiguity or lack of sense to what she was saying... and it wasn't what TS is making it out as being.

The only reason there was ever any talk of PVZ and a title shot is that PVZ floated the idea herself on her social media, and then Shevchenko made news by asking PVZ to fight her.

And we all know what happened then. The UFC was quick to find both another fight. PVZ and her hype piss me off to the point that I want to see her step into the cage with Val.

The division is so shallow that they have a 4-2 Fighter as Champion. Amazing.

That is a reflection on TUF more than on the division. And records don't mean as much as you think. Rose Namajunas just won a belt coming in at 6-3 without winning it via TUF. And having a 6-3 record in no way meant Rose didn't have high level skills.

Cancel the whole division. Cancel WMMA

Spot on.

I could enjoy some fights, but for every one good fight there's so much bad ones that it's just not worth it.

That is a reflection on TUF more than on the division. And records don't mean as much as you think. Rose Namajunas just won a belt coming in at 6-3 without winning it via TUF. And having a 6-3 record in no way meant Rose didn't have high level skills.

Yeah, another shallow as division. WMMA sucks.

She did word it very confusing TBF

It wasn't confusing in full context. (see below)

"I unfortunately can’t see Shevchenko or Paige VanZant through the process of making ‘25 or wanting this belt."

~

Which meant something other than what you are pushing it as meaning, in actual context. And it wasn't the least bit ambiguous what it meant either. I know because I actually watched the interview. She was just talking about how she had witnessed and supported Sijara as Sijara had suffered to make weight repeatedly during TUF to fight for the belt. So she knows about that effort first hand, and not about the process for others (because she was never able to see Shevchenko or VanZant go through the process). There actually wasn't even the slightest implication from her that either Shevchenko or VanZant might not be able to make weight. She just wants to see Sijara get the title shot she had coming to her before her kidneys shut down (or whatever it was that happened during her last weight cut).

Last edited:
Back