Flu Outbreak

The flu this year in insane. I have been in healthcare for a decade and have never seen so many cases of Influenza. Pharmacies in my area have run out of Tamiflu, hospitals out of flu swabs, and hospitals are all above full capacity.

It's always adapting is what I meant and the flu shot is part responsible.

Seems every year they have to tweak the shot in accordance to what the virus brings to the table

well messing around with pathogens can make them stronger but we do that every day just by washing our hands. Our society is oversanitized. Which is counterintuive to my experience of all these scummy people out there. But even go to Walmart, like half the shoppers will wipe down the cart handles with those anti-bacterial wipes.

Another thing is the insistence on doctors of still giving antibiotics to people with viral infections. Why do they do that? I had post nasal drop. A cold. Viral. MD gives me antibiotics.

Antibiotics are by far the drugs most frequently used in situations where they’ll provide no value for patients. The survey found that more than a quarter of doctors surveyed (27 percent) said that antibiotics are often administered to patients when the drugs will do no good.

In most cases, the antibiotics are prescribed to treat upper respiratory infections even though these are most often caused by viruses unaffected by the medication

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/doctors-still-overprescribing-drugs-antibiotics/

That's why antibiotics can't be sold over the counter cuz we would have an outbreak in like a year. People using them for everything. I am interested in the hygiene hypothesis in general. I think it could be root of many current conditions. Food allergies for example are soaring.

J6LdUIJ.gif
lol Is that Rob Ford?

I think a major problem in the US is sick people going to work/school. I have had professors and employers tell us straight up, if you are sick don't show up. But a lot of Americans can't even afford a day off much less a week or so. Like people serving you food. I hate sick people in public. And if you are sick, fuckin act like it. Like I was in a restaurant and this guy a table over is sick as a fuckin dog. Why are you here idiot? Stay home and eat. People don't think about anyone else. When I am sick, I act as if I am radioactive. Because I am. I try to protect people from what I got. I said before it is like most people think people get sick by magic fairy dust or something. No precautions. Wipe their noise and touch one of those checkout screens, which a million other people will now touch. One idiot can make an entire store sick.

well messing around with pathogens can make them stronger but we do that every day just by washing our hands. Our society is oversanitized. Which is counterintuive to my experience of all these scummy people out there. But even go to Walmart, like half the shoppers will wipe down the cart handles with those anti-bacterial wipes.

Another thing is the insistence on doctors of still giving antibiotics to people with viral infections. Why do they do that? I had post nasal drop. A cold. Viral. MD gives me antibiotics.

Antibiotics are by far the drugs most frequently used in situations where they’ll provide no value for patients. The survey found that more than a quarter of doctors surveyed (27 percent) said that antibiotics are often administered to patients when the drugs will do no good.

In most cases, the antibiotics are prescribed to treat upper respiratory infections even though these are most often caused by viruses unaffected by the medication

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/doctors-still-overprescribing-drugs-antibiotics/

That's why antibiotics can't be sold over the counter cuz we would have an outbreak in like a year. People using them for everything. I am interested in the hygiene hypothesis in general. I think it could be root of many current conditions. Food allergies for example are soaring.
Purely anecdotal of course, but I've noticed that the people that I've known who had a lot of allergies were most of the time people from a household where hygiene was VERY strict. Like paranoid about germ suburb families.

Best way to not get the Flu.

- Wash hands frequently.
- Stay away from people that have flu.

Ever hear of a flu shot?

Every year the flu grows stronger because of the flu shot.

Then the following year they have to make the flu shot stronger.

Then the flu adapts and gets stronger

It's never ending until you stop making the virus stronger with the shots.

there is no "the flu."

flu deaths before vaccines > after vaccines

Purely anecdotal of course, but I've noticed that the people that I've known who had a lot of allergies were most of the time people from a household where hygiene was VERY strict. Like paranoid about germ suburb families.

I was gonna mention that. Certainly true in my case. Cleanliness was godliness in my house. And I have asthma and allergies. Which makes the flu even worse for people like me. This thread seriously has me shook. I check flu news every season.

You know that allergies virtually don't exist in Amish communities? The amish allow us a look in the past. They are great for medical research.

Congrats for posting some of the dumbest shit I've seen on this website.

Here, let me introduce you to our resident smart guy Bloodworth.

Obama hussein , to close to Osama. WILL never be Cosnidered and american.
Obama needs to go back to his osama roots

That search took seconds, there are literally 80 results that came up in the search of this guy making the astute observation that....... obama kinda sounds like osama.
<TheWire1>

He's a regular stable genius!

I was gonna mention that. Certainly true in my case. Cleanliness was godliness in my house. And I have asthma and allergies. Which makes the flu even worse for people like me. This thread seriously has me shook. I check flu news every season.

You know that allergies virtually don't exist in Amish communities? The amish allow us a look in the past. They are great for medical research.
I grew up poor and lived on a farm for a while.
giphy.gif

We were clean, but not "disinfect your hands after you touch the ground" types. Never had allergies and was nearly never sick when I was a kid.

I'm not too icky about anything, my sister is the opposite and she disinfects her hands basically every time she touches a door handle.

Guess who has skin problems and allergies and who doesn't?

Anecdotal, I know.

38 years old, never had the flu and never received a flu shot.

Didn't get the H1N1 shot either

Guess that makes me an anti-vaxxer. Come at me bro.

I learned over the weekend that a distant relative passed away from the flu. She was in her mid thirties.

My guess is she was taking medication that weakened her immune system. That would have made her more susceptible to catching an infection. It was likely a similar situation to musician Glenn Frey who was taking immunosuppressants medications for arthritis and passed away after he caught the flu.

Keep your immune system strong! What I do is eat well, keep the environment where I am at clean and will get some sun exposure when possible.

I think a major problem in the US is sick people going to work/school. I have had professors and employers tell us straight up, if you are sick don't show up. But a lot of Americans can't even afford a day off much less a week or so. Like people serving you food. I hate sick people in public. And if you are sick, fuckin act like it. Like I was in a restaurant and this guy a table over is sick as a fuckin dog. Why are you here idiot? Stay home and eat. People don't think about anyone else. When I am sick, I act as if I am radioactive. Because I am. I try to protect people from what I got. I said before it is like most people think people get sick by magic fairy dust or something. No precautions. Wipe their noise and touch one of those checkout screens, which a million other people will now touch. One idiot can make an entire store sick.
A lot of this would be helped if people who must go out sick just goddamn wore a little mask. But it's not fashionable to not spread your illness, I guess.

Kicked the arse of my whole house and the in-laws just after Christmas. Still a little congestion but otherwise all past it.

This is the first year since like the 4th grade I had the flu. I haven’t gotten that sick since I was a kid.

Spent 2 days in bed sleeping then I was fine.

Just about everyone I knew was sick at some point in the last two months

We are talking monkeys on a floating rock in space. Nobody cares about anyone more than they do themselves. Rare exceptions. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Back