Floyd Patterson vs Rocky Marciano

Boxer

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The reason I bring this one up is they competed in neighbouring eras but never actually met.

Both fought Archie Moore.

I like this match up because they're both the same size, same weight etc.

Who do you think would win and why?

Floyd would have a GIGANTIC speed advantage. Hands and feet. And I don't think it would help him for long. Marciano KO3-4.

Rock would find him and hurt him. Patterson was a gusty guy, and had some great skills, but he got clipped and could perform inconsistently. Rocky's pressure would force those inconsistencies.

Barring a cut stoppage, I expect Marciano wins. The longer it goes, the better it goes for him.

floyd by ko...rocky was too slow and clumsy and had practically no defense. people talk about floyd getting dropped a lot...rocky got dropped by ole jersey joe walcott and the comparatively ancient lhw archie moore. he'd be target practice for a guy with floy'd speed, skill and power.

floyd by ko...rocky was too slow and clumsy and had practically no defense. people talk about floyd getting dropped a lot...rocky got dropped by ole jersey joe walcott and the comparatively ancient lhw archie moore. he'd be target practice for a guy with floy'd speed, skill and power.

I see both sides of the argument and I could debate it both ways.

Against you I could say Rocky fought and beat a just as quick fighter in Ezzard Charles.

Tbh I'm having a tough one with this but I think I'd have to go for Rocky, Patterson could be knocked out and Rocky hit very hard, it would take him a while but I think Rocky would eventually hunt him down.

Against you I could say Rocky fought and beat a just as quick fighter in Ezzard Charles.

Tbh I'm having a tough one with this but I think I'd have to go for Rocky, Patterson could be knocked out and Rocky hit very hard, it would take him a while but I think Rocky would eventually hunt him down.

I think Marciano would miss half a dozen times until something like round 13 and Patterson goes to sleep.

first of all, charles was lhw and he beat rocky in the first fight over 15 rounds, though he didn't get the decision...second, floyd could be dropped, but not by a guy like rocky...and even if rocky did drop him, in most cases, floyd had a way of getting right back up...if rocky's gonna win this it'll have to be early, because the longer the fight goes, the better patterson's chances of cutting rocky, beating him up and knocking rocky out...

but, i have never seen a hw champ who was so clumsy and slow and lumbersome as rocky. i fact, i change my mind... i think floyd takes him out early without much trouble.

first of all, charles was lhw and he beat rocky in the first fight over 15 rounds, though he didn't get the decision...second, floyd could be dropped, but not by a guy like rocky...and even if rocky did drop him, in most cases, floyd had a way of getting right back up...if rocky's gonna win this it'll have to be early, because the longer the fight goes, the better patterson's chances of cutting rocky, beating him up and knocking rocky out...

but, i have never seen a hw champ who was so clumsy and slow and lumbersome as rocky. i fact, i change my mind... i think floyd takes him out early without much trouble.

You talk like his unbeaten record as some sort of aberration, its also obvious as you don't rate Rocky's style, your not seeing what he does that's effective.

Rocky is cumbersome but as he doesn't box, he doesn't need to be a smooth operator.
Rocky edges forward, crouched so he keeps his head off teh centre line, because all he wants to do is walk you down.
When he does he skips forward and attacks, he has 68" or so short arms which are perfect for winning in close, he also hits hard and is built for brawling.

Patterson has a short reach for someone who likes to try and box so he's not going to catch Rocky while he's leaning away.

He can try jumping on him first with flurry's which is the only way I see him winning.

........... how this turns out, I don't know.

Its why I said you could argue it either way but as far as your "He takes him out quick" that's bold words against a guy who was never stopped by anyone, beat quick boxers and won slug fests.

You talk like his unbeaten record as some sort of aberration, its also obvious as you don't rate Rocky's style, your not seeing what he does that's effective.

Rocky is cumbersome but as he doesn't box, he doesn't need to be a smooth operator.
Rocky edges forward, crouched so he keeps his head off teh centre line, because all he wants to do is walk you down.
When he does he skips forward and attacks, he has 68" or so short arms which are perfect for winning in close, he also hits hard and is built for brawling.

Patterson has a short reach for someone who likes to try and box so he's not going to catch Rocky while he's leaning away.

He can try jumping on him first with flurry's which is the only way I see him winning.

........... how this turns out, I don't know.

Its why I said you could argue it either way but as far as your "He takes him out quick" that's bold words against a guy who was never stopped by anyone, beat quick boxers and won slug fests.
i hear ya...the thing is, when i watch videos of rocky, i just can't believe how clumsy the guy was, how slow, crude...dude had two left feet and below average speed and led with his face...no defense at all. he beat a buncha old men....and charles, who was old, but not that old at the time, beat him...i remember once watching a video of rocky and feeling a little bit of disgust at his terrible technique.

i hear ya...the thing is, when i watch videos of rocky, i just can't believe how clumsy the guy was, how slow, crude...dude had two left feet and below average speed and led with his face...no defense at all. he beat a buncha old men....and charles, who was old, but not that old at the time, beat him...i remember once watching a video of rocky and feeling a little bit of disgust at his terrible technique.
Well, to be fair...

Back then you didn't have guys move in the ring the way guys do in modern times like Mayweather, Loma, and Saunders either. LOTS of guys lumbered forward moving their head's just enough to not be a stationary target.

He may have gotten dropped by Jersey Joe but the punch that dropped Joe looked like it had killed him.

How would Rocky do vs Liston?

That's an intriguing fight. IIRC, biggest top contender Rocky's fought size-wise was Louis, who was well past his best of course but managed to keep it competitive before Rocky inevitably busted him up. I believe Liston would just prove too big a puncher for Rocky to handle.

floyd was a fine technician, great power for his size, but that chin of his would get hit by the Rock at some point.

That's an intriguing fight. IIRC, biggest top contender Rocky's fought size-wise was Louis, who was well past his best of course but managed to keep it competitive before Rocky inevitably busted him up. I believe Liston would just prove too big a puncher for Rocky to handle.
there's a story in howard cosells 1st book about how he and rocky were going up to Liston's camp and they were arguing about who would talk to him because they were both scared of him. Based on intangibles, rocky beats anyone, based on abilities, Liston was probably just too big for him.

You could just say "he's white", TBiz.

How would Rocky do vs Liston?

Rocky gets KO'ed its not even funny.

I'm about an inch taller than Rocky, inch and half in the morning and a little heavier by about half a stone.

One of my worst sparring matches came against an almost identical match up, Me at 14st vs a 6'ft 18st HW and i usually beat HW's.

After the spar I was like "stick your arm out a minute" and we measure reach, his fkin reach was way more than mine (72") and I could see why I was having a hard time getting inside.

When someone is taller even when they have a reach, you can get up and under and they have to punch down but when that HW is your height their punches are straight and it causes more problems.

His jabs were like logs flying at my head and because there's so much weight behind them you can't just block them normally, you have to get the hell out of the way making it more effort even to just defend.

I've always looked at the Patterson (another similar sized fighter) vs Liston as to why this particular stat match up gave me a harder time.

............. I imagine Rocky is going to face similar issues, Liston in 3rds

Last edited:
sounds like you just don't know what your watching. here's what your missing, marciano had one of the shortest most destructive left uppercuts to the body ever, he would loop wide punches but it was usually to set up short shots or vice versa. his defence was ridiculously underrated and his ability to parry jabs and move in before they could circle away was amazing. there is a reason that even the best boxers couldn't keep him off. i have learnt more from watching marciano than any other fighter. if you what to learn how to set up power rights watch marciano. usually people that can marciano have done a little bit of amateur boxing but have very little idea about professional boxing. any old school boxer that tried to keep their guard up like a modern amateur would have been destroyed.

Back