Floyd Out Of Retirement For Conor? No way. What gives? I know, 100 threads on this stupidity, but...

Will Floyd Box Conor Looking To Go To 50-0 as a pro?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Forget the fight even happening, which I don't think it will, this circus is great for boxing in a year it is already dominating.

Why the UFC thinks it's a good idea to let their biggest star sit out the worst year they've had in years and keep the narrative on a competitor sport is beyond me. It serves only to reinforce in the public's mind what the far more culturally dominant sport is.

I highly doubt they make much more money off of a cut of Conor's purse, even if the numbers are huge (I think many people are overestimating them) than they would keeping the whole pie to themselves for a Conor UFC fight (they only have to pay him around 5 million). And even if they do, it's not worth the significant negative long-term impacts that could result.

Just now saw this ^^^, but agreed.

Although, I do think it would do huge numbers if it went off. Massive PPV #s.

I think the UFC's view on this is:
- Whatever the result, they will make money.
- If McGregor wins by some distortion of space-time-continuum, then the UFC and MMA will gain a lot of reputation and money.
- If McGregor loses, it's expected, it's boxing rules, against one of the best boxers ever.
- If McGregor loses, i'm sure he will challenge Mayweather to an MMA fight, which Mayweather will of course decline. JUST BLEED fans will say Mayweather and boxers are afraid of MMA fighters because they are superior alphas, and will still stick to MMA and forget about the boxing loss of McGregor in about 6 minutes.
- For Mayweather it's just a way to get an extra paycheck in what seems to be an easy fight. Same way would be for McGregor if it was MMA rules.
- It's unlikely Mayweather will KO McGregor. He will win most if not all rounds, but i think McGregor is durable enough to survive + Mayweather will not take risks and expose himself. He'll just dominate. McGregor surviving is going to be published as a "moral victory", i'm sure.

All in all, i just think that the UFC gave too much leverage to McGregor. He is their superstar, yes, but he can only fight 1, 2 or 3 times a year. For each of those fights, they earn, what, an extra 0.25% net income at the end of the year? They are a billion+company, so getting a few million less or more per event doesn't break or make them.

But all in all, if this takes place, the winner will be McGregor. He will go back to Ireland to officially retire from MMA and start working as a leprechaun with a gold pot.

- It's unlikely Mayweather will KO McGregor. He will win most if not all rounds, but i think McGregor is durable enough to survive + Mayweather will not take risks and expose himself. He'll just dominate. McGregor surviving is going to be published as a "moral victory", i'm sure.
the only way this happens is if floyd decides he doesn't want to put him away and just stops hitting him after 2 rounds. and even then, i'm not sure conor can dance around with him for another 10 rounds. and there's no incentive for floyd to keep this going any longer than it needs to.

mcgregor has not done anything to suggest he's some gritty, hard to put away fighter. he's been finished in all of his losses, and he spent a large portion of the second nate fight walking away from him, "resetting". he's a phenomenal front-runner, and he can hurt people in mma, but this myth that he can take punishment from the best boxer of his generation for 36 minutes and not collapse is laughable. he was tagged by a plodding nate in the first fight, and was in serious danger of being stopped in the second fight.

i can't for the life of me understand why people think floyd doesn't have power. have you people not seen him fight? if his punches didn't sting, canelo would've mauled him. but he was being outboxed and busted up. not only could he not land anything, he was getting his head snapped backwards all night long.

floyd may not be a monstrous puncher like golovkin, but he can throw hard shots that keep the best in the business off of him, and yet people expect an absolute amateur to last 12 rounds with him? i wouldn't be surprised if he knocked him out cold in the first round, though the more likely outcome is a TKO through an accumulation of blows. you know, when floyd hits conor a hundred times in 2 minutes, with punches far harder than the slap nate rocked him with.

Yeah I hate on mayweather sometimes but respect...he beat all my favorite fighters asses! No excuses from me.I really hope this isnt his 50th win.He is a master boxer as Al Berstein said one time. Shit anyone else but this!

Sports Sports Illustrated
Mayweather retracts August date for possible Conor McGregor fight

Representatives of retired boxing world champion Floyd Mayweather have verbally retracted a date request for a proposed megafight between UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor, reports the Los Angeles Times.ESPN.com's Dan Rafael reported earlier Tuesday that Mayweather Promotions had planned to request a fight date of Aug. 26 from the Nevada State Athletic Commission at a meeting on Wednesday.For now, Bob Bennett, executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commission, says that could change before Wednesday's meeting.Bennett says that neither fighter is licensed to fight in Nevada and that getting medical clearance should not take long.“Is anything done? No,” Bennett said. “Do I believe the fight will probably come to fruition? Yes,” he said.Bennett said.Less than a year ago, the The CEO of Mayweather Promotions said that a fight between Mayweather and McGregor would never happen, adding that McGregor getting a boxing license is nothing more than a ploy to get more fans.McGregor was issued a boxing license in California after giving up his featherweight title following his lightweight title win in November.Mayweather has said he would offer McGregor $15 million to fight, far below McGregor's reported asking price of $100 million.UFC president Dana White has offered both fighters $25 million each to take the fight.McGregor (21-3) won the UFC's lightweight belt after beating Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 on Nov. 12, thus becoming the first UFC fighter to hold two titles simultaneously.The 40-year-old Mayweather (49-0, 26 KOs) has not fought since beating Andre Berto in September 2015.

Vegas taking big Mayweather-McGregor bets
ESPN.com

Mayweather reportedly seeks Aug. bout with McGregor
SI.com

Conor is going to make a lot of money on a fight hes supposed to lose, and many people are stupid enough to believe hed beat floyd. Wolf tickets

Floyd has ufc and Conor on strings.

UFC losing money while their biggest star chases a fight that isn't close to happening

This is going to be an irritating few months. The amount of people bitching about wanting their money back after the fact might be worth it, though.

Meh

Huge fan of floyd
But no respect for taking this fight
Pathetic cash grab

Meh

Huge fan of floyd
But no respect for taking this fight
Pathetic cash grab

It's for charity. Proceeds will go towards the fall of civilization as we know it.

I'm curious to see how many Retards think Conor can win.

This is going to be an irritating few months. The amount of people bitching about wanting their money back after the fact might be worth it, though.
This.

Also, in your avatar, is that Townes Van Zandt?!?

I voted about ten minutes before your post, & I stick by it.

This farrago is so stupid it will shatter the laws of physics. I think Floyd should do the decent thing & call off the "fight", if only to save the space-time continuum.

Back