Floyd Out Of Retirement For Conor? No way. What gives? I know, 100 threads on this stupidity, but... | Page 2

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by PHATV, Mar 11, 2017.

?

Will Floyd Box Conor Looking To Go To 50-0 as a pro?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2017.
  1. No way, that's retarded.

37.2%
  2. Yes, I think he really will.

62.8%
  1. RR Step into the lab

RR
    Free money. They can get it sanctioned. Floyd would take this fight in Siberia if he had to to collect that paycheck

Kovalev's "Man Bag" and PHATV like this.
  2. JayE Brown Belt

JayE
    That's not true. He walked down Judah for most of their fight (and he was starting to walk down Ortiz before the headbutt and KO).. He is clearly capable of doing it. Outside of Pacqiuiao and Guerrero he walked down most southpaws he fought (Corley, Mitchell, Judah).

3. wilddeuces Purple Belt

wilddeuces
    So I was within a year or two when I remarked on his dwindling aggression and to be honest, the reference to Ortiz doesn't carry too much weight because he was just following him arounf the ring. He wasn't walking him down for long stretches, or any real length of time. There were moments where Ortiz was moving forward and times where he waited and moved around and tried (not well) to box. Mayweather wasn't cutting off the ring at all, he was following. Even then, that was what, 2011? Here we are now, 6 years later and Mayweather will be nearly, or at least two years removed from his last fight against Berto. While Bhop was certainly much older, his two years out of the ring were telling. Old men don't get any younger when they sit on the shelf and let their bodies rust.

4. JayE Brown Belt

JayE
    So you agree that Mayweather has cut off the ring before (and against a very good boxer in Judah, as well)?

5. wilddeuces Purple Belt

wilddeuces
    Not sure where I agreed to that explicitly or even implicitly.

Lemme re-watch the fight. It's probably been 6 years. The one fighter's coach could cut off the ring like a sonofabitch, if I recall correctly.

6. ColombianFist "Es mejor ser rico que ser pobre"

ColombianFist
    actually that's not so farfetched.

7. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  8. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    This is true, despite how absurd the whole notion is. The SAC overseeing it and the venue would make a killing along with the PPV provider (they'd get their 50% cut or whatever). Bob Arum recently told Conor to sign with him if he was serious. He tweeted it out. Besides Mayweather, Mikey Garcia is more than happy to fight McGregor, Pac said he would, Canelo, Amir Khan, and the list continues. They know it's a real big money fight and McGregor isn't a boxer he's a Mixed Martial Artist who fights out of a Karate stance.

Freakshow fights sell. They always have. Over in Russia they could fight, like you said. They let Povetkin fight after he popped again in December and his last minute replacement opponent, Duhaupas, was wearing gym shoes lol.

RR and HHJ like this.
  9. tehmvp WBA Super Neighborhood Champion

tehmvp
    Bob just wants a piece of the pie, but he does have the legal expertise to help Conor fight the UFC in court.

Kovalev's "Man Bag" likes this.
  10. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    Bob wants a piece of the pie just like the rest of the promoters wanting to sign him and the fighters that have been saying they'd fight Conor (in boxing) and calling him out. I agree with you about the legal advice with Arum. The Ali Act would be tried first. Not every contract is airtight and Conor's isn't.

I know what I'd do if I was Conor and that's put myself up for auction to the highest bidder. Let the promoters get into a bidding war, along with the networks, and laugh my way to the bank in a multi-fight deal against the likes of Mayweather, Pac, Canelo, etc. That's another guy that wants to fight Conor is Canelo. Easy money in the ring for them, least risk for the most reward.

tehmvp likes this.
  11. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    He didn't have much of a choice other than to walk down Corley and Judah. That "Michigan shell" defense (now an unconventional defensive guard that's taught in boxing gyms) that he used was intended for use against other orthodox fighters. For example, a straight or overhand left thrown from a dominant outside angle (foot on the outside) will connect and bypass his lead shoulder roll defense and any subsequent counter from his power hand, it's able to connect first and they'll be to their right (to Floyd's left or "weak" side) out of the line of fire.

He also has the crab defense that he'll use sometimes in the center of the ring and along the ropes but he's been caught and hurt when trying to use it against both southpaws & orthodox fighters. He got buzzed against Judah by a straight left (with Judah having lead leg control) and was smart enough to drop under the next straight left attempt from within his Michigan Shell guard. All Judah had to do was feint a straight left, step in and throw an uppercut instead to catch him changing levels. If he continued to duck under the straight left then level change with him or start aiming downward with it. Or, step around Floyd's bladed stance (think Lomachenko) when he's in that shell guard and bypass it entirely. He had several options to follow it up.

His "ear muff" defense is just a high guard variation. That's what he would revert to against southpaws. He's shown the ability to cut the ring off but he's not an expert at doing it. If he was then he wouldn't have followed/stalked as much. He could walk Conor down most likely but if he started to just follow him around then Conor will do what he always does, look to counter off the back foot. If Floyd did decide to start walking him down then he would already be anticipating this and be looking to counter his counter-punching attempts.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Sir Punchalot likes this.
  12. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

randomg1t
    are you guys really arguing about whether or not floyd can walk down conor? he can beat the shit out of him without getting touched, moving backwards of forward.

conor got outboxed at times by nate diaz. nate diaz.

DaveDave and jlagman like this.
  13. Sir Punchalot Red Belt

Sir Punchalot
    I don't know. You should never underestimate people's stupidity.

DaveDave and Jonny Ninja like this.
  14. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    Conor's about to be hired as one of Floyd's TMT bodyguards. Check this out

15. WklySportsMemes Green Belt

WklySportsMemes
    I think he comes back...But it will be no time soon.
    Anytime something boxing hits the news Floyd has to interject himself into the media to try and steal the spot light.
    Its been a little embarrassing lately.
    -Recently it was the Chris Brown Soldier Boy incident. He put himself smack dab in the middle of it and they kicked him to the curb and made him look like a sucker.
    -Now right after Thurman Garcia success and records hits the news. Plus the buzz on GGG Jacobs picks up. Now he comes out and chases McGregor when normally he pretends to not even know or be interested in his opponents name.
    Floyd couldn't stand not being the only name putting boxing in the mainstream news so he had to do something that comes off as desperate.
    Whats crazy is that even though hes an all time great the sport has been getting much better without him. Things are really starting to come together and happen.

16. Jayofteror Brown Belt

Jayofteror
    I'm not paying for this but I'll be glad to watch it. It's a predictable outcome. An easy 50 for Floyd. Also an easy 100+ mil dollar payday.

17. Julius_Caesar Brown Belt

Julius_Caesar
  18. Shoemaker ****BOILERPLATE****

Shoemaker
    A Boat With Shannon Briggs, Right Behind You
    Did I see Floyd playing with tiger cubs in that video?

<GinJuice>

19. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Kovalev's "Man Bag"
    Ramzan Kadyrov per his IG account:
    For those that don't know of him, he's the Head of the Chechen Republic, former President and Prime Minister, Major General of the Russian Armed Forces & a ruthless dictator. Popular combat sports athletes visit this guy despite him being a tyrant and one of the most powerful men in Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramzan_Kadyrov

20. JayE Brown Belt

JayE
    Kadyrov didn't even let him take a turn in the firing squad. Hospitality isn't what it used to be.