Floyd of the first Maidana fight vs. Keith Thurman.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Who would have won? I think this Floyd would still have enough to outbox Thurman and win a UD.

Mayweather by comfortable decision. Thurman doesn't match up well with Mayweather, at all.

Mayweather, even now could out box Thurman to a comfortable decision...

honestly, I think Porter would have a better chance at defeating Mayweather than Thurman.

Maidana gave Floyd a lot to think about because he has legit one punch fuck your couch power.

Thurman has pop but fancies himself a boxer and when you try to box Floyd and you don't have ridiculous speed you get humiliated.

Thurman would have been humiliated.

Maidana gave Floyd a lot to think about because he has legit one punch fuck your couch power.

Thurman has pop but fancies himself a boxer and when you try to box Floyd and you don't have ridiculous speed you get humiliated.

It had a lot to do with style, too (perhaps more than just pure power). Maidana was a pressure fighter with decent footwork, infighting ability, and the willingness to make it dirty. Thurman isn't that kind of fighter.

Mayweather, even now could out box Thurman to a comfortable decision...

honestly, I think Porter would have a better chance at defeating Mayweather than Thurman.

I think Porter and Thurman probably beat Mayweather now.

Floyd ends them and you missed the fun :(

Thurman has decent feints and might have landed some eye-catching shots early on going in and out, but eventually Floyd would have taken control and outboxed him. Once he saw what Thurman was trying to do he'd shut it down with the proper counter, probably a good amount of "pre-counters" and leads to offset his rhythm, and then start setting the traps himself, taking control away from Thurman. Thurman's biggest strength is his ring generalship and craftiness in setting up his shots but he's not quite versatile enough offensively to consistently penetrate Floyd's guard. The ambushes will only work for so long.

It had a lot to do with style, too (perhaps more than just pure power). Maidana was a pressure fighter with decent footwork, infighting ability, and the willingness to make it dirty. Thurman isn't that kind of fighter.

Thurman's more of a boxer-puncher, leaning more toward boxer.

I don't recall ever thinking Maidana was a dirty fighter. He was a bully and loved to trade inside but I don't remember a bunch of low blows or any intentional headbutts or elbows or faked injuries. I thought he was clean especially for his style.

Who would have won? I think this Floyd would still have enough to outbox Thurman and win a UD.
Floyd went into that fight trying to prove something and made the fight closer than it should have been. Giving any top ranked fighter chances like that is a risk. We saw in the rematch that he still had all the ability.

I don't recall ever thinking Maidana was a dirty fighter. He was a bully and loved to trade inside but I don't remember a bunch of low blows or any intentional headbutts or elbows or faked injuries. I thought he was clean especially for his style.

MAY12.gif

MAY9.gif

I think he was quite a handful in this fight.

I should point out though that I haven't seen many Maidana fights (saw his one with Broner and two with Mayweather) but he was kinda dirty in all of them

Maidana was always fairly dirty, and he was plainly dirty when he fought Mayweather (his fight against Soto Karass is another very good example of this). I don't look at it as a particularly bad thing as it made him a better fighter. It's a fight and many great fighters have bent the rules, Mayweather certainly being one of them (not calling Maidana great, of course).

Floyds toughest fights were always guys who had less than textbook style.

Floyds toughest fights were always guys who had less than textbook style.

I sort of agree, but then again, a guy like Jose Luis Castillo was a fairly textbook pressure fighter (excellent footwork, very good on the inside, etc.).

I sort of agree, but then again, a guy like Jose Luis Castillo was a fairly textbook pressure fighter (excellent footwork, very good on the inside, etc.).
Well, Oscar too I guess.

MOST of his toughest fights were with weird stylists then.

MAY12.gif

MAY9.gif

I think he was quite a handful in this fight.

I should point out though that I haven't seen many Maidana fights (saw his one with Broner and two with Mayweather) but he was kinda dirty in all of them

First gif is Maidana RETURNING a low blow from Floyd which isn't dirty at all. That is fair play all day long.

Second one I have no idea? Attempted knee? That's weird as hell.

Back