Floyd Mayweather vs Tommy Hearns 147 | Page 4

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by XThe GreatestX, Sep 7, 2017.

1. BenjaminRandalC Yellow Belt

BenjaminRandalC
    I can't imagine his uppercut being MORE powerful than this. And to answer the question: The first fight is a robbery draw that Hearns dominates, Second fight they do a huge press tour and Hearns thinks it's going to be a cake walk but gets tired and loses a decision. No Third fight- Mayweather fights Cody Garbarandt instead. Looks like garbage, still beats No Love. Retires undefeated.

2. Oscaraps Brown Belt

Oscaraps
    Lol some people are saying hagler got outboxed by lesser fighters , I then said well if someone like maidana can get to Floyd , someone like Mosley can crack Floyd I don't see why someone the caliber of hagler can't. I think you misunderstood what does walking through an uppercut have to do with getting knocked down by a body punch ? I never said maidana is like hagler, I am simply saying Someone like maidana gave Floyd fits with a jab and some adequate pressure. Hagler has a very underrated jab and knows how to pressure. Also some people are seriously underestimating how good a boxer Benitez was

3. Oscaraps Brown Belt

Oscaraps
    Man that right is like a high power rifle

4daLuLZ and BenjaminRandalC like this.
  4. XThe GreatestX Black Belt

XThe GreatestX
    Anyone else think if tommy and ray leonard had fought ten times tommy would have won 5-6 of them?

4daLuLZ and elanimalsantana like this.
  5. Oscaraps Brown Belt

Oscaraps
    I think he would had

4daLuLZ likes this.
  6. elanimalsantana Green Belt

elanimalsantana
    I am older than most on these boards and have actually seen all the fighters I am going to talk about fight in person while still at the top of their game (and some them against each other) so I may have a different perspective than the rest of you.

IMHO, of the top 147lbers of that era (Hearns, Leonard, Palomino, Duran, Cuevas, Benitez) the only one I give Floyd an easy win over would be Cuevas who was all power with no defense. Floyd would UD Palomino but Carlos would make it interesting, I see it playing out a lot like his fight with Benitez. I think Duran, Leonard and Hearns beat Floyd. Leonard and Hearns were much bigger and their hand speed combined with power (both of them) would have been too much. People seem to forget what a HUGE reach Hearns had (80 inches) for a welterweight which would have let him pick Floyd apart. Duran is a different animal in that he was a 135lber to begin with so he and Floyd were about the same size in reality but as Palomino (and many other top fighters have stated) he had deceptive speed and great defense. I don't know if he could have stopped Floyd (I believe Leonard and Hearns would have, esp in a 15 round fight as they has in their day) but I think he (Duran @ 135) beats Floyd 7-8 times out of 10. Benitez is a strange case because (like Floyd) he was defensive wiz and was actually most effective with his back against the ropes. I think it would have been a snooze fest because neither of them would have been in a hurry to press the issue.

Just my two cents

Gregoire1 and 4daLuLZ like this.
  7. elanimalsantana Green Belt

elanimalsantana
    @ 135 (Duran's orig weight and where he was Champ for 7 years and awarded Ring's "Fighter Of The Decade" for the 70's) Duran would take Floyd. The losses you are talking about were against guys much bigger than he which Floyd isn't.

Gregoire1 likes this.
  8. Noctilux Purple Belt

Noctilux
    Tommy with Haglers chin would be the GOAT!

9. Seano Hands of bone

Seano
    Duran fought lesser competition at 135 too. There was no Leonard at 135. There was no Hearns at 135. There was a guy like Benitez there though, and he handed Duran his first professional loss.

Duran was a guy who was pretty tough to outfight but not so tough to outbox. The best boxers he fought schooled him. The Leonard fights were pretty telling about what Duran could handle and what he couldn't. Get in a phone booth and slug it out with Duran and you'll probably come up short, like Leonard did in the first one. Show some slickness and boxing ability and he was a different fighter. When Leonard boxed him in the rematch, he embarrassed Duran so thoroughly that he retired from the sport of boxing during the fight.

Picking Duran to beat Floyd basically ignores everything we know about him. Floyd is probably one of the worst imaginable stylistic fights for Duran.

nastyleft and Jhonni5 like this.
  10. Seano Hands of bone

Seano
    Hagler with Amir Khans chin would not be so good though.

Jhonni5 and ironfist05 like this.
  11. ironfist05 Silver Belt

ironfist05
    I think Amir must think he's Hagler at this point.

4daLuLZ and Jhonni5 like this.
  12. elanimalsantana Green Belt

elanimalsantana
    Are you referring to Esteban Dejesus (the man who handed Duran his first professional loss)? If so, he was NOT like Benitez and Benitez was much bigger than Duran. They were different animals, and don't forget that Duran starched Dejesus twice afterwards (once to unify the Championship). True, "There was no Leonard at 135. There was no Hearns at 135" and there haven't been any Durans on Floyd's resume. Everyone that Floyd has fought, I see Duran beating, and most of them rather easily (even De la Hoya, Pacquiao, Canelo, etc). The only boxers who "schooled" Duran ("schooled" isn't really the case) were guys he fought after he started putting on the lbs, and don't forget that he was the first to beat Leonard (after moving up two weights). The rematch (if you actually watch with an unbiased eye and look at the scorecards) was close, I'm not sure why Duran did what he did, my guess is (and is only that) is that he figured if Leonard wants to play games, I am out of here maybe thinking that it would make Leonard look bad and that idea backfired. And anything post Barkeley (actually post Hearns, IMHO) shouldn't even be discussed when talking about how good (actually great) Duran was.

Gregoire1 and 4daLuLZ like this.
  13. Seano Hands of bone

Seano
    He was very similar to Benitez, thought De Jesus was a bit more aggressive. They even had the same trainer.

14. Sunfish Martinez Belt

Sunfish
    A lot of interesting points. I made the point earlier I don't think Floyd would lose 10/10 to any of these fighters and there are some who could beat Floyd but I'd favor him more often than not, nobody seems to want to quantify how likely.

15. djacobox372 Gold Belt

djacobox372
    So, since when is SRL in the same league defensively as floyd?

16. XThe GreatestX Black Belt

XThe GreatestX
    Srl is actually considered to have some pretty damn good defense.......It wasn't exactly a weakness for him

Are you sure your familiar with that time period?

17. djacobox372 Gold Belt

djacobox372
    Floyd with Tommy's reach and power...

18. Sunfish Martinez Belt

Sunfish
    Ricardo Lopez with listons reach, jacksons power and haglers chin... would look ridiculous.

19. djacobox372 Gold Belt

djacobox372
    Pretty damn good =/= Floyd's league

I watched most of SRL's big fights live. He was nothing like Floyd. He's closer in style to Oscar or Mosley.

If his defense was technically sound, instead of relying on speed and toughness, he would have lasted past his early 30's in the sport.

Jhonni5 likes this.
  20. XThe GreatestX Black Belt

XThe GreatestX
    Tbh...
    I really think your underselling srl's defense to be honest

Tommy landed on him but tommy would have landed on floyd.

Duran landed on him in the first fight when ray wanted to brawl but the second fight ray boxed him up pretty good

floyds is better defensively sure but the gap isn't very big imo. Lets not act like floyd hasn't been hit with punches before now..

Anyways i guess the main start of this discussion is whether tommy would have landed on floyd

I think its pretty obvious that he would have tbh. Probably floyds toughest stylistic matchup at least at 147. Even more than srr id say