Floyd Mayweather vs Tommy Hearns 147

Duran couldn't beat a guy like Floyd. I know you've probably heard me say this but look at the best guys Duran beat and the best guys Duran lost to. You have to admit that Floyd fits more into the latter class of fighters.

Hagler had a hard time with guys who wouldn't engage and we all know Floyd isn't going to go toe to toe with a guy like Hagler.

The best guy Duran beat is also the best guy he lost to. And it can be argued that the only time that fight was evenly contested in regards to preparation, Duran won.

So according to your own logic if Floyd = SRL, slight edge Duran.

Floyd would outbox him, and perhaps stop him.

Landing clean on a prime Floyd is a very tall task, especially for a slower fighter, so Hearn's power won't be an issue.
Tommy was landing punches on srl in both their fights all night...piston jabs and his right hand

Floyd would clown him. Hagler too.

Leonard and Hearns are tough fights for Floyd though.

yea um no, he isn't clowning either of them, he MIGHT decisively beat Duran but haggler beats him.. if Maidana was able to cause him problems with the jab and pressure imagine haggler (being a bigger, better, much more powerful boxer). I'm curious who did Floyd fight or what did he do to show to lead you to believe hes clowning haggler?Maybe a decision win but no clowning
I agree though leonard and hearn are worse match ups for him

Last edited:
yea um no, he isn't clowning either of them, he MIGHT decisively beat Duran but haggler beats him quite handily too... if Maidana was able to cause him problems with the jab and pressure imagine haggler (being a bigger, better, much more powerful boxer). I'm curious who did Floyd fight to lead you to believe hes clowning haggler?
I dunno about clowning but i think floyd beats hagler too

Hagler always had problems with guys who boxed and moved

Srl, willie the worm. Hell even an old really undersized duran was ahead after 13 rounds after boxing hagler instead of brawling with him.

I think floyd would ud hagler

I think the tougher fight for floyd is duran forsure

147 was not Floyd's best weight...Hearns obviously the bigger fighter. That being said Floyd is not an easy fight for anyone even at 147. I would favor Hearns at 147 because he had the length on that jab and the massive power on the right hand. That being said Floyd has such amazing ring IQ to go along with his skill set that i by no means think it would be a "gimme" fight.

I dunno about clowning but i think floyd beats hagler too

Hagler always had problems with guys who boxed and moved

Srl, willie the worm. Hell even an old really undersized duran was ahead after 13 rounds after boxing hagler instead of brawling with him.

I think floyd would ud hagler

I think the tougher fight for floyd is duran forsure

I can maybe see a decision but definitely not clowning, I think its too much power and pressure.

yea um no, he isn't clowning either of them, he MIGHT decisively beat Duran but haggler beats him.. if Maidana was able to cause him problems with the jab and pressure imagine haggler (being a bigger, better, much more powerful boxer). I'm curious who did Floyd fight or what did he do to show to lead you to believe hes clowning haggler?Maybe a decision win but no clowning
Hagler got outboxed by lesser guys than floyd.

Leonard clowned Duran and Benitez shut him out. floyd beats him easy.

People constantly underrate Floyd, I think he takes it.

80 inch reach! <Eek2.0><Eek2.0><Eek2.0><Eek2.0>
Lightning jab, massive power. He could fight him from across the ring.
Screenshot_20170907-155444.png
No way Floyd.

Point of information - maidana was an orthodox small welter who got dropped by an amir Khan body shot
Hagler was a southpaw small middleweight who walked through blocking a hearns uppercut with his chin and face falling apart to win in 3.

But sure use the maidana fight to theorise how a hagler fight goes.

Hearns is the worst stylistic matchup possible for a 147lbs Mayweather. Hearns UD imo. Mayweather needs better legs than he had at 147 to make it a fight he could win.

Say they fought ten times, no one sees Floyd winning any of them?

If Hearns lands a shot similar to the one Judah or Shane landed it would be lights out.

Look into it....Feel it.....Relish it....

hearns-thomas-11.jpg

At 147 Hearns would most likely win. Floyd stared his career at 130 and Hearns started at 147 so Hearns would naturally be the much bigger welterweight. But P4P I still think Floyd is a better boxer.

To say Hearns wins is one thing but to say he dominates IMO is pushing it.

Diego Corrales? Also Philip Ndou who is no Tommy Hearns but he was 31-1 when he fought Floyd and was very athletic. Out of everyone Floyd's fought he's probably the closest to Hearns based off length and athleticism (not skill):

Corrales never had two nuclear bombs attached to the ends of his arms like Tommy did.

Floyd fought in a great era ...... for going un beaten an was genius in the n out as far as knowing when to fight the studs he did fight. Look Floyd actually has a nice resume ot Great resume at name value ..... Manny , Oscar, Shane, Cotto, Canelo, JMM , etc.. but if u look at when he fought them.........

For fight IQ in ring I can say I never watched a smarter fighter ....... he just knew how to adjust an get a win..

The 3 fights I would of loved to of seen as a fan is of course Manny 2010 (I don't think result is different but the fight is a lot better) , Cotto pre first retirement and I wish he would of fought Canelo instead of Berto for 49 as a slightly fading Floyd against a Prime Canelo would of been an even fight.

Ad for Hearns ....... honestly if Hearns doesn't ko Floyd early Floyd learns an adjust by round 5 and wins likely every round then on. SRL an Duran would lose as well.

Like Roger Mayweather said in his vid. It's a dangerous fight for sure for Floyd. Would Floyd fight Hearns any different than he's fought other "big punchers"? that's part of the equations a lot of you guys are overlooking. Floyd would start the fight defensive and finish the fight defensive. Because he would come into it knowing Hearns was a big puncher. Hearns has the advantage in reach, and a killer jab. Question is, would his jab be actually scoring though, knowing Floyd would be moving and shelled up with his left arm over his torso chin tucked behind his left shoulder and the right hand up by the right side of his head, peeking, looking, reading and picking off any jab coming at him in range. I see him VERY defensive and moving around bending, dipping and going with that right hand stick to Hearns' body right behind Tommy's jab and getting out of there....Until he starts to time Tommy's jab and starts to pull counter on it and getting out of there again. Then getting Hearns thinking about that stuf and hit him with his own jab and be outta there again. The Chessmatch of the fight would be, can Thomas Hearns catch-up the Floyd Mayweather Jr. long enough to inflict damage?

There's been a lot of comparisons in this thread with Hagler, Leonard, Duran etc.and what happened against Tommy Hearns. But NONE of those guys fight the way Floyd fights in the manner of how he applies his defense. ALL of those guys come out to outbox or beat you up. ALL of them (Duran, Leonard, Hagler, Benitez) are offensive boxers with varying levels of defensive capability. Floyd defensively is better than each of those guys. So, the question really is.........How would Hearns actually be able to break down Floyd's HEAVY HEAVY defensive posture and different looks enough to outscore Floyd. As far as him catchingFloyd, sure its a very dangerous proposition, but then again how likely is that of happening when we all should be able to agree Floyd would be at his most defensive against a guy like Hearns knowing the devastating power he has? I see Floyd picking off shots from Hearns at range minimizing his scoring opportunities, tying Hearns up anytime he got close and maybe Floyd winning the inside game (Hearns' weakness). Does Hearns get frustrated by the constant movement and tight defense and open himself up to clearer counters down the stretch? Remember, guys only get knocked out when they're not on defense. Mosley caught Floyd when Floyd was thinking about something else and not respecting his power. Zab caught Floyd when they both were attacking. Corley caught Floyd at the same moment both attacking and much much less defensive prowess than the skill level of D he had when he fought Baldomir or ODLH. I get that Hearns hits hard, has speed, is tall and long, but how would he catch Floyd, with Floyd knowing at any moment Hearns could put him to sleep? They're both equally great boxers in their own right,and its by no mean an easy bought for EITHER fighter. But I just don't see such a mismatch you guys are seeing. for most people in history at 147 Hearns physical attributes would be a wrong "style" match-up for most. But Floyd is different and the guy at 147 that fought Baldomir isn't getting punished and would probably sneak his way through to a decision win. I like the best description that Andre Berto said, "Floyd 'cons' his way through rounds, and by the time you think your about to get to him the round is over and he scored more than you did"...
That dynamic to his game seems so different to the all out war assassin assaults Hearns has been in with the guys he's fought leads me to believe Floyd wins a close one every time.

Sugar Ray Leonard is a bit more crafty and nastier than Hearns, much better fight to watch against Floyd.
Duran isn't much of a contest. Roberto gets embarrassed by not being able to get off and do what he does, while Floyd pot shots him all night.
Hagler gets beaten by Floyd also. Same reason, Hagler doesnt get to do what he does and just gets taken out of his zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back