Floyd Mayweather "I'll Go After Conor" Vows Not to Fight His Defensive Style Fans are Accustomed to | Page 8

Discussion in 'Conor McGregor vs Mayweather Discussion' started by Zombie Prophet, Aug 8, 2017.

1. nac386 Silver Belt

nac386
    I agree, but he was not doing that bad at all at the beginning of that fight. He was just a mentally weak person which is pretty much the opposite of Robert Guerrero.

Delmrus likes this.
  2. stingren White Belt

stingren
    Floyd will walk him down and land hard counters and pot shot all night

Lol at the mma only guys thinking being agressive means rushing in like a bull and brawling

FlowchartRog likes this.
  3. waiguoren Black Belt

waiguoren
    When was the last time Mayweather walked anyone down? That's not the approach that got him to this point. Obviously he could try it, but it's a lot riskier than fighting off the back foot.

4. Goober stoober Yellow Belt

Goober stoober
    I'll believe it when I see it

5. stingren White Belt

stingren
    He hasn't walked anyone down let alone had a fight for a while (obviously been retired)

It's not that far fetched to think floyd can stand in front of Connor and hit him with hard counters all night.

Connor can crack a bit but his not the mythical guard breaking killer he portrays himself to be.

6. -Magua- Blue Belt

-Magua-
    I'm in accord with this.

7. Mixedfights Red Belt

Mixedfights
    In the year 2000....

The 21st century is the current century of the Anno Domini era, in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. It began on January 1, 2001 and will end on December 31, 2100. It is the first century of the 3rd millennium.

8. Adamant GOLD BELT

Adamant
    Come fight night Floyd will have contradicted himself. Again.

9. JayE Brown Belt

JayE
    Cotto gave Mayweather way more problems than Guerrero and, as a result, brought a better Mayweather out (whereas against Guerrero, in his first fight out of prison, he coasted comfortably down the stretch). McGregor has a really good counter left hand against strikers in MMA (and a huge key to the effectiveness of his counter left hand is forcing fighters to throw from farther outside due to his kicking game; in boxing, he doesn't have those kicks to help control the distance and force his opponents to throw from the outside and leave themselves wide open to counter). How that counter left hand translates in boxing without his kicking game against drastically better boxers, we don't know (it's relatively safe to assume that it won't look nearly as potent).

10. JayE Brown Belt

JayE
    Four rounds is exceedingly generous for Guerrero. I had him winning one or two rounds, and he barely won those (he didn't win a single round clearly in my view).

FlowchartRog and nac386 like this.
  11. JayE Brown Belt

JayE
    You're right, and he was on his way to getting stopped if he didn't completely fold and give Mayweather the stoppage, but there is an argument that he had more significant flashes of success early in that fight than Guerrero did all night.

12. mirellale Brown Belt

mirellale
    You were quick with the respond bruh

13. Mixedfights Red Belt

Mixedfights
    Amazing I even had to. That shit was like 17 years ago. Not 100 years ago.

14. RichardN7 Yellow Card

RichardN7
    Pillow fists boiii

15. GreatSaintGuillotine You may not like what I say but it's the truth.

GreatSaintGuillotine
    I gave Guerrero two rounds and had one a draw. The rest was a pretty sick beating by Floyd. Floyd messed him (and Cotto) up something fierce despite staying in the pocket for most of the fight.

In fact, he was fighting a lot of dudes toe to toe before the Pac fight. The Hatton, Ortiz, Cotto, Guerrero, Canelo, and Maidana fights we're mostly fought in the pocket.

FlowchartRog likes this.
  16. waiguoren Black Belt

waiguoren
    All three judges had him winning the first 3 rounds. You have to admit there was at least 1 more close round.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  17. Delmrus Blue Belt

Delmrus
    Yeah, a lot of people just think of MLK, or Rosa Parks or Malcom X. I'm assuming you have heard of the Greensboro Four? I have actually been good friends with Jibreel Khazan (AKA Ezell Blair Jr.) my whole life. Great guy and it's an honor to know him.

Gun'n'Run likes this.
  18. waiguoren Black Belt

waiguoren
    The way I remember the Cotto fight (it's been a few years), is that Cotto stalked him the whole time, backed him to the ropes, and proceeded to miss an absurd percentage of his punches. Then he got countered enough to lose rounds. I didn't feel it was very difficult for Floyd. I felt it was Floyd's best showing but also that Cotto just did not have the style to give Floyd problems.

I generally agree with your breakdown of McGregor's setups. I think he will have a few new tricks in this fight, but with boxing gloves and an experienced counter striker across from him it will be difficult for him to land cleanly. I think with smaller gloves and an arrogant Mayweather he would have a non-trivial puncher's chance. If Mayweather plays like he did against Berto he should cruise to a decision.

19. ClckwrkOra Purple Belt

ClckwrkOra
    Just theorizing, but I wonder if Mayweather said this because sales for the fight are slow.

Casual fans, who make up the largest audience segment, may avoid this event because of the Pacquiao snoozefest.

20. Chud85 White Belt

Chud85
    He may need to, Conor is a counter puncher with little output

waiguoren likes this.