Floyd Mayweather "I'll Go After Conor" Vows Not to Fight His Defensive Style Fans are Accustomed to

Floyd will walk him down and land hard counters and pot shot all night

Lol at the mma only guys thinking being agressive means rushing in like a bull and brawling
When was the last time Mayweather walked anyone down? That's not the approach that got him to this point. Obviously he could try it, but it's a lot riskier than fighting off the back foot.

When was the last time Mayweather walked anyone down? That's not the approach that got him to this point. Obviously he could try it, but it's a lot riskier than fighting off the back foot.

He hasn't walked anyone down let alone had a fight for a while (obviously been retired)

It's not that far fetched to think floyd can stand in front of Connor and hit him with hard counters all night.

Connor can crack a bit but his not the mythical guard breaking killer he portrays himself to be.

In the year 2000....

The 21st century is the current century of the Anno Domini era, in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. It began on January 1, 2001 and will end on December 31, 2100. It is the first century of the 3rd millennium.

Come fight night Floyd will have contradicted himself. Again.

Although I agree the fight wasn't that close, it also wasn't an easy fight for Floyd like Ortiz, Berto, even Cotto. Guerrero's toughness, size, awkwardness and stance all created some issue for Floyd.

My statement was that Guerrero is the recent Mayweather opponent who is most similar to McGregor. Bigger, longer, awkward southpaw. McGregor is better at the counter left. Guerrero is going to be better in the pocket and on the front foot.

Cotto gave Mayweather way more problems than Guerrero and, as a result, brought a better Mayweather out (whereas against Guerrero, in his first fight out of prison, he coasted comfortably down the stretch). McGregor has a really good counter left hand against strikers in MMA (and a huge key to the effectiveness of his counter left hand is forcing fighters to throw from farther outside due to his kicking game; in boxing, he doesn't have those kicks to help control the distance and force his opponents to throw from the outside and leave themselves wide open to counter). How that counter left hand translates in boxing without his kicking game against drastically better boxers, we don't know (it's relatively safe to assume that it won't look nearly as potent).

Which of Mayweather's recent opponents were bigger, awkward southpaws?

Have you ever watched that fight? I had Guerrero winning 4 rounds.

Based on what you wrote, it's likely you don't know much about boxing.

Four rounds is exceedingly generous for Guerrero. I had him winning one or two rounds, and he barely won those (he didn't win a single round clearly in my view).

Ortiz was getting owned. He resorted to the headbutt because he was breaking mentally.

You're right, and he was on his way to getting stopped if he didn't completely fold and give Mayweather the stoppage, but there is an argument that he had more significant flashes of success early in that fight than Guerrero did all night.

In the year 2000....

The 21st century is the current century of the Anno Domini era, in accordance with the Gregorian calendar. It began on January 1, 2001 and will end on December 31, 2100. It is the first century of the 3rd millennium.
You were quick with the respond bruh

mayweather-im.-5.gif

FewSlowFinnishspitz-max-1mb.gif
giphy.gif

Offensive Floyd is no joke
Pillow fists boiii

Four rounds is exceedingly generous for Guerrero. I had him winning one or two rounds, and he barely won those (he didn't win a single round clearly in my view).
I gave Guerrero two rounds and had one a draw. The rest was a pretty sick beating by Floyd. Floyd messed him (and Cotto) up something fierce despite staying in the pocket for most of the fight.

In fact, he was fighting a lot of dudes toe to toe before the Pac fight. The Hatton, Ortiz, Cotto, Guerrero, Canelo, and Maidana fights we're mostly fought in the pocket.

All three judges had him winning the first 3 rounds. You have to admit there was at least 1 more close round.

Last edited:
Dying laughing at how the only black civil rights pioneers he knows are Malcolm X and MLK

Those were the only two I knew when I was 12... and I'm white

Yeah, a lot of people just think of MLK, or Rosa Parks or Malcom X. I'm assuming you have heard of the Greensboro Four? I have actually been good friends with Jibreel Khazan (AKA Ezell Blair Jr.) my whole life. Great guy and it's an honor to know him.

Cotto gave Mayweather way more problems than Guerrero and, as a result, brought a better Mayweather out (whereas against Guerrero, in his first fight out of prison, he coasted comfortably down the stretch). McGregor has a really good counter left hand against strikers in MMA (and a huge key to the effectiveness of his counter left hand is forcing fighters to throw from farther outside due to his kicking game; in boxing, he doesn't have those kicks to help control the distance and force his opponents to throw from the outside and leave themselves wide open to counter). How that counter left hand translates in boxing without his kicking game against drastically better boxers, we don't know (it's relatively safe to assume that it won't look nearly as potent).
The way I remember the Cotto fight (it's been a few years), is that Cotto stalked him the whole time, backed him to the ropes, and proceeded to miss an absurd percentage of his punches. Then he got countered enough to lose rounds. I didn't feel it was very difficult for Floyd. I felt it was Floyd's best showing but also that Cotto just did not have the style to give Floyd problems.

I generally agree with your breakdown of McGregor's setups. I think he will have a few new tricks in this fight, but with boxing gloves and an experienced counter striker across from him it will be difficult for him to land cleanly. I think with smaller gloves and an arrogant Mayweather he would have a non-trivial puncher's chance. If Mayweather plays like he did against Berto he should cruise to a decision.

He may need to, Conor is a counter puncher with little output

Stylistically, which fight of Mayweather's was more similar? Guerrero is the only bigger, awkward southpaw Mayweather has fought in the past decade.

I just rewatched the first 5 rounds a few days ago. Mayweather lost some of the early rounds. Officially he only lost 2, but many rounds were very close. Guerrero pressured well and landed pretty well.

But Guerrero has been boxing since he was 9, was a Junior Olympic Gold Medalist, had Olympic trials at just 16, turned pro at 18 and by the time he fought Floyd was a two time, two weight World champion with 33 pro fight under his belt. I think you are seriously underestimated just how vastly superior of a boxer someone like Guerrero is compared to someone like Conor.

But Guerrero has been boxing since he was 9, was a Junior Olympic Gold Medalist, had Olympic trials at just 16, turned pro at 18 and by the time he fought Floyd was a two time, two weight World champion with 33 pro fight under his belt. I think you are seriously underestimated just how vastly superior of a boxer someone like Guerrero is compared to someone like Conor.

Seriously, these idiots don't get how refined these high level boxers technique is. These guys are the best in the world and have been constantly working on their technique for several decades. Conor looks sloppy as shit when he spars and i can't wait until August 26th so people can see the difference in skill level because right now they just don't fucking get it.

Back