Floyd has great Takedown defence

He sprawled a couple times nice on Conor. Overpowered him in the clinch. Conor even said after how he was surprised by how strong Floyd was in the clinch.

If this fight took place in MMA and Conor couldn't take him down. Who wins?

<mma3>

The reason boxing is so effective in a real standup fight (not just a boxing match) is because boxers actually proper spar all the time. Other martial arts, except for wrestling and BJJ/ground game, do the same old practise moves, hit bags, run through various strike & defend scenarios over and over again and think that it's going to help them in a real fight.

I'm quite interested in MMA and enjoy watching the UFC, but I train in boxing and BJJ. In both, we go hard. But I'd say we go harder in boxing than BJJ because we hit hard and get hit hard all the time. Ok we wear 16 oz gloves and head gear, and we don't punch as hard as possible most of the time, but we definitely hit at 90% for power shots. Depending on the sparring partner and what they are comfortable with. Like if I'm sparring with a couple of the guys that can hit really hard, I'll ask them to go at 70% power so that I don't get brain damage and I'm a bit of a pussy.

I've been interested in MMA and quite recently had a chance to look at a few places in my area. A couple of them have consistently produced national level champions too. But when I watch them train it's so different from boxing. Even when they train stand up, they don't go anywhere near as hard. A lot of it is just pretend shit, pulling a lot of their punches. When someone gets hit even reasonably hard it's immediate time out. Really weird shit. For a sport where it's quite brutal in a competitive match, 4 oz gloves, elbows and knees, the training part is a bit weak.

I'm not saying all of them train that way, but I think the vast majority do.

Pro MMA fighters sparring
So called hard sparring by pros
Amateur MMA sparring looks like complete shit, they're just doing whatever they want, no technique.

Compare this to even amateur KIDS boxers sparring
Sure they aren't big heavy men, but they're staying in the pocket trading punches, throwing punches at speed and sitting down on their punches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEyh8WMv1hs
This is why they can take a punch. They're so good at seeing punches coming and they know how to brace their neck for it so they're head doesn't go flying and rattle their brains. The amount of sparring they do means they are seeing several hundred punches coming at them in each training session and their eyes get very good at picking that up and even if they can't slip or block it in time, they can at least brace for it.

Floyd would have been 50-1 if he ever fought prime Chavez.

Woulda coulda shoulda. But didn't.

There's always a lot said, but it's only done when it's done. When Floyd fought Canelo everyone said he's gone, Canelo will take him apart.

Nah, boxing is too upright and one dimensional to call the ultimate striking art in mixed competition.
I'll take Thai kickboxing every time.
For the most part Thai Boxing is at the top of the heap for striking in a real fight. There are, however, rare cases of boxers who are so athletically gifted that they trump traditional fundamentals. In those cases I think boxing is the best striking art. We have certainly seen this in MMA with some of the best gifted athletes/strikers using boxing.

Outside of those rare cases I agree with you for sure.

Brah, just stop it. It's embarrassing now. Floyd got severely dominated by an MMA fighter and everyone is trying to grasp straws now. I hate Conor's antics but he isn't the best P4P roid free fighter that we have ever seen: just deal with it and move on

You could argue Conor "won" the press tour. That's about it, he got beaten down on fight night.

The reason boxing is so effective in a real standup fight (not just a boxing match) is because boxers actually proper spar all the time. Other martial arts, except for wrestling and BJJ/ground game, do the same old practise moves, hit bags, run through various strike & defend scenarios over and over again and think that it's going to help them in a real fight.

I'm quite interested in MMA and enjoy watching the UFC, but I train in boxing and BJJ. In both, we go hard. But I'd say we go harder in boxing than BJJ because we hit hard and get hit hard all the time. Ok we wear 16 oz gloves and head gear, and we don't punch as hard as possible most of the time, but we definitely hit at 90% for power shots. Depending on the sparring partner and what they are comfortable with. Like if I'm sparring with a couple of the guys that can hit really hard, I'll ask them to go at 70% power so that I don't get brain damage and I'm a bit of a pussy.

I've been interested in MMA and quite recently had a chance to look at a few places in my area. A couple of them have consistently produced national level champions too. But when I watch them train it's so different from boxing. Even when they train stand up, they don't go anywhere near as hard. A lot of it is just pretend shit, pulling a lot of their punches. When someone gets hit even reasonably hard it's immediate time out. Really weird shit. For a sport where it's quite brutal in a competitive match, 4 oz gloves, elbows and knees, the training part is a bit weak.

Amateur MMA sparring looks like complete shit, they're just doing whatever they want, no technique.

Sure they aren't big heavy men, but they're staying in the pocket trading punches, throwing punches at speed and sitting down on their punches.

This is why they can take a punch. They're so good at seeing punches coming and they know how to brace their neck for it so they're head doesn't go flying and rattle their brains. The amount of sparring they do means they are seeing several hundred punches coming at them in each training session and their eyes get very good at picking that up and even if they can't slip or block it in time, they can at least brace for it.

LOL

You could argue Conor "won" the press tour. That's about it, he got beaten down on fight night.

Not even that considering that the shit Conor talked didn't really bother Floyd and that Floyd is getting a much bigger cut of the revenue that the Conor marks brought in.

Boxing is one dimensional. That is a joke. But it is just a matter of opinions.

I don't box never had in my life, but the MayMac fight made me pay attention to boxing, and I believe it is the most effective striking art. It is just my opinion.

I do box, but muay thai striking is alot more brutal. I have done both i did muay thai for about 2 years.

Leg kicks are no joke (they litterally destroy your legs) , and a clean kick to the head you aren't getting up from, throw in elbows and knees aswell and muay thai is by far the most effective striking art.

A master in muay thai would destroy anyone of similar experience while stood up.

We never get to see the best muay thai guys compete in mma, as the prestige of muay thai in thailand means that the best fighters won't cross over.

A good muay thai guy would finish most boxers with leg kicks only. They would never get in range to throw a punch.

Watch gaethje's highlight reel and see how he sets up most of his finishes with leg kicks(they are brutal) and we aren't even talking about a high level muay thai practitioner.

Yeah 10/10 TDD

usa_today_10243737.0.jpg

He sprawled a couple times nice on Conor. Overpowered him in the clinch. Conor even said after how he was surprised by how strong Floyd was in the clinch.

If this fight took place in MMA and Conor couldn't take him down. Who wins?

Of course Conor would take him down. He could take Floyd down in so many ways. If it stays on the feet, and both fighters can use kicks, elbows. Knees etc Conor still wins. How can you defend these if you have never defended them before?

Of course Conor would take him down. He could take Floyd down in so many ways. If it stays on the feet, and both fighters can use kicks, elbows. Knees etc Conor still wins. How can you defend these if you have never defended them before?

this is probably the best answer
" I think hes just a natural. His incredible reflexes would immediately translate over to avoiding a double leg and it showed. I was impressed."

Good post. People who don't know better scoff at the idea that boxers have better chins, but it's completely true by and large, and just common sense. If you've been taking and avoiding punches since you were a kid, of course you're going to be better at it. Boxers see the punches coming WAY better than MMA fighters, have better head movement, better blocking and parrying, and even the ones that do get through, they take better through years of conditioning. Of course you get the odd glass chinned boxer and iron jawed MMA fighter who were just born that way, but overall boxers are better at both giving and receiving punches. Again it's just common sense, most elite boxers have been training like pros since they were kids, with nothing but punches.

And as someone who has done a handful of old school martial arts and boxed too, you're not kidding about the difference in training/sparring. You don't learn to fight in karate and TKD, they don't even have full contact sparring. It's all theory. Which makes it even more laughable these nerds talking about "boxing pussies" and "not a real fight". Anyone who feels that way should really go to a boxing gym, tell them they're not real fighters, and demand to spar their best guy. See what happens, and how they feel about it being a "real fight" or not afterwards :D

Back